Getting to Know You - March 16

Ann

Are you planning on either cooking or eating corned beef and cabbage tommorrow???

If you're cooking, have any great secrets to share with us about how you cook yours?

Patti.. Don't think I've ever seen green wine but then there are a lot of things I'm a "greenhorn" about...lol!

For years, I couldn't even stand the thought of corned beef, so I would eat the cabbage. A couple of years ago, my son cooked corned beef and cabbage for us and as we all know, when our kids cook we must eat it...regardless! I was shocked to find that I loved his corned beef. It seemed most of the times I had it before it was very. very moist and I'm a definite dry, well done meat person.

So...YES...I'm cooking corned beef and cabbage tommorrow. Not sure if I will eat it but I'm going to pick my son's brain tonight for cooking tips.

Ann,

you could try this.

Ireland

Corned Beef & Cabbage in Ale

2-3 pound cut of corned beef

24 ounces ale (Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale)

2 carrots, cut into chunks

12 small red potatoes

4 onions, peeled and quartered

1 teaspoon dry mustard (Colman's)

1 large sprig thyme (optional)

1 head cabbage, quartered

Place the beef in a large pot with the ale, carrots, potatoes, onions, mustard and thyme (if using). Add just enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer gently 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Halfway through, check the vegetables: when they are tender, remove them and set aside. Add the cabbage quarters and cook until tender, about 15 to 30 minutes. When the meat is tender, return all vegetables to the pot and reheat. Serve the meat in slices, surrounded by the vegetables and broth.