Chemo finished - now living life

Vesuri

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Good people!

Too long since last update but I think of you people daily! =) Still on tarceva and next check is on October.

I've been taking my daughter to "kids ballet". It's so great to see how kids really get excited about something. I wish we all could keep that level of enthusiasm throughout life...

Quoting Kanye....

"I'll let you finish... but lchelp.org has the best people in the net!! Ever!!..."

All the best to you people!!!!

Jussi

Hi Jussi,

Congrats on the Tarceva working and the good results of your bloodwork. It is always good to just keep living life to the fullest.

Enjoy your daughter's ballet and keep that positive attitude! That's half the battle....

take care,

Maryanne

• 1 month later...

Good People!!!

Went to see doc on Tuesday and she called today about the pelvis xray. There's some mets in there and we start the radiation quite fast... there was also some discussion about putting some type of screw in the bone(?) but that wasn't decided yet. Also some medication for bones will start, i don't know the details yet.... Also the checkup CT which was scheduled for December is going to be asap.

Doc said that don't go running and try to avoid jumping on it cause it might break.... Oh noooooo, My two favourite hobbies!!! I had planned some serious jumping for Halloween!!! =)

Best regards Jussi

• 2 weeks later...

Good people!

Went to the hospital yesterday... They are planning a 2 week radiation therapy period so I needed to go for the "simulator", where they put some aiming points for the actual treatment which starts on Monday. Also I took some bone-enhancing-drug (in lack of a better term) in IV.

Does anybody know if the bone mets in hip /thigh cause some knee pain also?

All the best

Jussi

Jussi-

I THINK I had some knee pain with my hip mets but everyone is so different and remember you have a sciatic nerve that runs down your leg and the met could be messing with it.

Ask the doc for some pain meds just in case you need them - with some people, radiation to the bone is somewhat painful for a couple of weeks.

Keep us posted!!!!

Hugs - Patti B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello good people!

Ok - got back from radiation and doc called about last weeks CT results. Previous CT was in August, so these results are compared.

Some new changes in liver. Also, what 'seems like a change' in right lung (where the main tumor/cancer is).

Decision - continue on Tarceva and we'll hope it contunues to stay more or less slow for a few months. Then possibly chemotherapy.

Hip / thigh has a high fracture risk so I should start use a cane/crutch.

All the best!

Jussi

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Good People!

Just went to blood test today and saw my doc in the hallway while there, She's planning to get some Taxotere going on because she can't predict how fast the cancer will continue to grow.

So, it comes down to a decision whether to wait after Christmas or start chemotherapy as soon as possible...

But nonetheless, Christmas is coming!

All the best!

Jussi

Hi Good People

Thanks Judy!

"There comes a time in everyones life when you're in crossroads...."

Ok- I guess it's decision time again. Options on the menu;

a) despite slow progression continue with Tarceva and take taxotere later

B) start Taxotere now (after Christmas anyway)

They'll start radiation therapy for the spine met anyway.

And there's also the oncolytic virus treatment card still to be played. Doc said it's up to me if I want to go there (virus treatment) already or take taxotere first and see if it helps.

Let's take a quick poll here people... Just out of interest, what would be your choice.

And enjoy the Christmas time good people!!!!

Jussi

Jussi, tough decision. But if it were me, because Tarceva is a pill so I assume easy to do, if I was tolerating it well, I might give it the span of one more scan time. If you continue to progress and/or at a faster rate, then you could go on the taxotere. As for the virus treatment, I'd keep that in my back pocket. No matter, it's a tough decision to make. I'm always about treatment that allows a measure of quality of life.

Judy in Key West

Wow, a tough decision, alright. As long as I was tolerating the Tarceva well, I'm thinking I would stay with it. There's no guarantee that anything else will be better, and slow progression is, well, at least slow.

I remember reading a post by Dr West over on GRACE saying that there would be nothing wrong with changing chemo, then coming back to one that had slow progression, either, if it later became the best looking option. So, I guess you could make an good argument for going to the Taxotere, too.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep us updated.

Jussi,

Not being a survivor myself, I'm goign to let others with more experience offer more advice about your next step, with one exception. . .

Have a very Merry Christmas. As you say, it is coming and no matter what else is going on I hope you will experience the joys of the season my friend.

Susan

• 1 month later...

Good people!

Just back from doc. So there's slow progression. Next step - put Tarceva on hold and start Taxotere next Thursday.

There aren't any clinical studies going on here about lung cancer that could be suitable.

Are there any people who have had the same treatment regime as me? Going to taxotere after tarceva I mean.... I suppose it should be somewhat effective chemo anyway?

Of course I realize that all this is just an effort to buy some more time. But I want to use every option as long as it is out there.

And did I tell you that I truly, honestly, hate this disease.

All the best to you

Jussi

• 2 weeks later...

Good People!

So I'm on Taxotere now. Had the first infusion on 4th (Friday). Fingers and toes crossed it'll work!

Tarceva is on hold at the moment. Doc said there might be bad effects taking those two meds at the same time...

Feeling really upbeat reading all your positive news here!!! GREAT!

Jussi

• 1 month later...

Good people / peoples :)

Tomorrow is the CT time again... I've had 3 rounds of taxotere so far. The side effects have been very mild. I hope the taxotere blows the cancer cells out of the map though!

Been on sick leave for a week after infusion and after that back to work. And we went to see Princess & Frog today with my daughter. :)

All the best!

Jussi