Just found this board, here's my intro

AnneM

Hi everyone, my name is Anne and I was diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC in June of '07. I started having symptoms (I guess they were strange symptoms)in January of '05 but my doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me until I started having severe back pain in April of '07 which eventually led to my diagnosis. I just found this board a couple of days ago and have been reading some of your amazing stories which have given me a push in the positive direction (I've been a bit down lately). Thank you everyone for sharing your stories on this board...I wish I had found it sooner.

Right now, my CTs have been stable, I have another CT next week and an MRI tomorrow because I've been having headaches. I'm hoping it's just too much coffee or something like that.

Hi, Anne, welcome to the group! Are you still on the Avastin every 3 weeks (along with the mystery pill)? After finishing my Taxol/Carbo/Avastin treatments I was on Avastin alone for 8 more months, and have been on Tarceva since October. And remember, stable is good! Aloha,

Ned

Yes, I am still on Avastin every 3 weeks along with the mystery pill, although we are pretty sure I am getting Tarceva.

I think it would be fairly easy to make an informed guess. I got no skin effects at all from Avastin, just slow healing of previous abrasions. Tarceva is infamous for its rash, which is probably unlike any rash you're ever had. When will you get the official word?

Aloha,

Ned

Hi Anne,

It is good to welcome to this wonderful group. You have come to a place of many responsive and warm people. There is also so much helpful information.

My husband is presently on Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin and has completed three rounds. His side effects have been mostly a little fatigue, and a slight toothache. (Tooth is sensitive.)

Wishing all the best,

Barbara

"Attitude, Support, Spirit and Hope",(Quote: Dave Grant)

"AnneM"]Hi everyone, my name is Anne and I was diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC in June of '07. I started having symptoms (I guess they were strange symptoms)in January of '05 but my doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me until I started having severe back pain in April of '07 which eventually led to my diagnosis. I just found this board a couple of days ago and have been reading some of your amazing stories which have given me a push in the positive direction (I've been a bit down lately). Thank you everyone for sharing your stories on this board...I wish I had found it sooner.

Right now, my CTs have been stable, I have another CT next week and an MRI tomorrow because I've been having headaches. I'm hoping it's just too much coffee or something like that.

Hi Anne -

Welcome!! What an absolutely lovely family you have.

This is a great place to be - these are some really supportive folks here. Gald you found us and hope you stay and keep us updated on your progress.

Will be hoping for GREAT scan results - let us know!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Welcome Ann!!!! Your family picture is beautiful.......2 little boys and a girl! A PERFECT group! My husband and I LOVE San Diego. He would travel for his work there about 4 times a year. On occasion, I got to go too! The weather was always perfect every single time. My favorite visit was in December when we visited Balboa Park....but I digress.

You will find much support, friendship, compassion....whatever you need.....is here. We have members of all ages ~ yes quite young never-smokers too. I'm sure some of them will be along to offer their greetings as well.

Many find us at the very start of their journey and are full of fear and panic. You've passed that stage and are probably feeling like the pro about now.........tx plan all in place and left with no unexpected surprises. And to see that you've had some stable reports is just fantastic.

So, Ann, glad you have a soft place to come. There are many inspirational stories and people here. Hopefully that will bring you strength.

Kasey

Tarceva is infamous for its rash, which is probably unlike any rash you're ever had. When will you get the official word?

I seem to get a very mild rash off and on so it's not completely clear that I'm getting Tarceva, but I also have GI issues with it which I did not get on Avastin alone. I will only find out for sure it the cancer starts progressing again, then they will unblind the study and make sure I'm on Tarceva.

Hi Anne,

I've been taking Tarceva for awhile now. I wouldn't leave the house because my face looked so bad. The american cancer society sent me a face wash called "LINDI" WWW.lindiskin.com. I don't use it but every other day but it works for me. I put on consealer and base makeup from "MERLE NORMAN COSMETICS". Everyone says I look great and I don't even look sick.Which makes me feel better even if I'm feeling really bad that day. It might not work for you I know everyone responds different to treatments. I hope I have helped alittle. Hang in there.

...I seem to get a very mild rash off and on so it's not completely clear that I'm getting Tarceva...

I've heard of cases where people getting and responding well to Tarceva had basically no rash, so it's not a litmus test, just a common tendency. But I guess you could look at it this way -- if you're doing well now, and several months down the road start to progress, and find out at that time you were NOT on real Tarceva, then you have another sharp arrow in your quiver ready to use! Aloha,

Ned

Hello and Welcome!

I too have had the Avastin/Tarceva combo. I have been taking tarceva now for 26 months daily and had Avstin every 3 weeks for a year, took 1 year off and once again started up on Avastin in January 08 because of a new met to my spine. I have had FABULOUS results with the combo. See my info below.

PM me if I can answer any questions you have. I have my fingers crossed that the drugs are working their magic for you!

Wendy

Hello and welcome here Anne. Iam so sorry for you diagnosis especially since you are a non smoker. Not that it makes a difference if you did smoke it just seems to be so many non smokers are coming down with this dreadful disease. It just baffling.

You are so young and that is actually a good sign when it comes to fighting this monster. I am really glad that your back pain is subsiding.

I could only imagine how hard this is on you especially having such young children. I hope you have help and support from love ones and friends.

Please know that LC is not a death sentence. There are so many on here who were diagnoised with your stage who are doing find years later.

Keep a positive attitude as that is half the battle. Your treatments seem to be working. Please know that we are here for you 24/7. Any questions you may have please ask. There is always people who have been there. We are also here for support and prayers or if you just need to vent.

Hang strong... you will get through this.

We are a family here, welcome to our world.

Maryanne

Anne,

Welcome to this site, you will find alot of support here from really good and caring people. It was this site that allowed me to believe that I could fight this disease. Anyhow, hoping your scans are fine. I just had an MRI because of headaches but it turns out it is allergy season and headaches come with the season. Stay positive.

You have a beautiful family.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lilly

Hi Anne,

Hoping the Tarceva works well for you. I have a baby (19 months now) and a 5 year old also. I know it's hard for me to keep up with them sometimes. Hope you're feeling well or have some help. Keep up the good work with the scans.

Raney

Hi Anne - I just wanted to add my welcome to the others. You will find so much help, support, and hope here. You have a beautiful family! We have to figure out why so many young, non smoking woman are getting this disease. :?

And remember - stable is good!!