Radiation round done- Now what?

amieb

Dad finished his first round of radiation today. The pain is still there though. He is on oxycotin and that seems to help. And the Zometa is helping a little with the bone pain. Anyone have any idea how long radiation may take to start to help? We hear everything from 4 days to 3 weeks. I'd love to have a little bit of a timeline. (Although we all know that with cancer there is no such thing as a timeline.)

And he goes in for an MRI on Saturday. How do I not be scared of what it may show? How do I stay positive when the scan may show spnal mets? Dad is being so positive and is fighting like a tiger. How do I keep that going?

Thank you!

Amie, I know it's discouraging that your dad is not getting as much relief from the pain as you had all hoped. You mentioned a subliminal message/relaxation DVD, which prompts me to ask -- does the center or hospital have an integrated medicine or complementary and alternative medicine section? What works for one person may not work for another and vice versa. What I'm wondering is whether acupuncture or some other Eastern medicine technique could be helpful for his sort of pain. I have no idea, but I don't see what harm could come from trying if the service is available. Though I've never used acupuncture, it's a rather common treatment in Hawaii and some other places, and I'd certainly be open to it for myself in a similar situation.

...And he goes in for an MRI on Saturday. How do I not be scared of what it may show? How do I stay positive when the scan may show spnal mets?

I believe fear of the unknown is the worst kind of fear, because the absence of factual data combined with an unfettered imagination can drain even the strongest person. Whatever is going to show up during the Saturday MRI is in your dad's body right now -- it will be revealed by the MRI, not created by it, and the sooner you (i.e., you and your family and the medical team and probably your dad too) know more precisely what you're dealing with, the sooner you can all do what's needed for his well-being. If he has spinal mets, and to me as a layman that sounds likely from what you say, you need to know as much as you can as soon as you can. Knowledge is strength. My Aloha to all,

Ned

Thank you Ned. Your mentality that it is already there and the scan is going to just reveal it helps a lot. I will say that to dad tonight and maybe that will help a little bit. You have been a constant form of positive energy for me and I thank you heartily. Hope this finds you well.