Weighing Costs in Treating Cancer

snappy

I would like to see some comments on this article. I found the article of interest. We have not got to this point, as yet. Might not be long though. Although I am not putting a price on my husband. Guess that is why people lose their homes.

http://tinyurl.com/2p9h2o

I also read another article tonight. What really caught my interest in this article was the named drug 'tarceva'. I see this drug mentioned a real lot on this forum. I have no clue, yet, what it is for. I suspect I may find out. Unfortunately, I checked the ongoing price at costco and was absolutely amazed it was over $3600 for just 30 at 150mg. I would like to know what this drug is used for.

http://tinyurl.com/36ybvb

I guess this could be two topics but it all involves costs. I was really reading the article on Cipla about the patents but they I recognized the drug name from reading here. Thanks,

Here is a website that spells out Tarceva and what it does. All these medications are VERY COSTLY!

I think I spent per treatment 13 years ago, $12,500 per chemo session (3 days on chemo 3 weeks off) for 6 sessions.

http://www.tarceva.com/index.jsp?hl=en&q=tarceva

Tarceva is a pill that helps fight NCSLC.

Our medical system is broken. Medical costs have gone through the roof and we all pay a very high price for greed in more ways then one.

I had found a website On tarceva assistance. Will look for it again and post it. Didn't save it because I am sure that they will not help you out if you have any prescription plan coverage at all. Altho I am not on Tarceva, I wanted to look ahead. Tarceva around here is $1600.00/per month - with my 20% copay I would still pay $320.00/month - along with the other meds I take.

All these drug prices are so out of hand. Most people on chemo are also taking other meds because of the side effects the chemo gave us!!

I will post the Tarceva-assistance drug site as soon as I can find it.

Hugs - Patti B.

THe strange thing is that most comapanies offer an assistance program to help pay for the drugs that we take.here is another link for financial assistance, should you need it

https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

Tarceva is a mainenance drug not so much a curative drug. Right now Medical research is trying to get LC to a maintenace level Kind of like diabetes. You live with it not die from it. THen they start hard look into a cure. THe problem lies in the lack of Early detection. WIhtout early detection this disease becomes too advanced for a lot of clinical trials. Then the survivor rate comes into play. because of lack of early detection there is a lack of long term survivors of Lung Cancer. LAck of survivivors also affects clinical trials.

I applaud all here who are on clinical trials. It was discuseed in my house at one time and it became debs decision not to because she knew her condition and was really too scared to try the unknown. I SUPPORTED HER DECISION!!!

I also like to thank those in trials for being Pioneers which they are more so than Guineau pigs(BOOO, Hate that term!) You never know, the trial may lead to a cure for the disease therefore you are a pioneer in Lung Cancer research!

IF you want lots of info on trials and financial help, look in the new treatment forum. I have quite a few sticky notes on top of page to guide you through and towards info.

ANd IF I can be of Help PM or drop a note. Spend time here so..... :wink:

The folks at genentech will do two things for you, fight with your insurance company if you need help getting them to cover it, and then either supply the drug free if you can't get coverage by your company or don't have any coverage (may be dependent on your finances as to how much help). Also, I do think they will help defray co-pays dependent on those costs and your income level. Kelly's dr kept telling her - don't be too proud to ask for help. To which we replied, what about us told you we would be too proud! :) As it turns out, took more than a few calls to the wrong people and the letter from her Dr. to justify the drug, but we did end up getting it covered at a cost to her of $100/month. Retail through the pharmacy her husband works for is $4200 a month.

PattiB: Thanks for the link to Tarceva assistance. I'm not getting it yet either but am looking down the line. I don't think I'm going to be able to stay on the Avastin maintenance because my blood pressure is still rising after about nine days following the infusion. My guess is that as it builds up in my system, it will only get worse.I already get assistance with Avastin and was thrilled to see Tarceva is also a Genetech product.

Judy in Key West

Judy -

Glad it helped!!! Probably will take some technical stuff to get approved so I thought I should look ahead, too.

Cat- Geez, I thought $1600/month was bad - $4200 is absolutely ridiculous altho maybe thats for 150 mg and mine was for 50 mg tabs. No matter what - that is ludacrist!!

I just don't get what is going on in this country with the insurance and medical costs. My mom lives in a senior apartment bldg and some of her friends "pick" which meds they will buy this month - their bp meds, their heart meds, diabetic drugs, etc. Each month its something different. Unfortuantely, many of them don't have access to computers so they are not aware of assistance programs that may be out there.

I know that I am looking down the road at maybe losing health insurance. To go on COBRA will cost us 903.00 per month - thats more than our house payment!! COBRA is only good for two years and then thats over - so if I am one of the lucky ones who beat the odds.......well, I don't know. Plus at some point in time I guess I have to make the decision if I want to financially drain my family or not. After all, I do have a son who I want to have to be able to go to college.

Something sure has to be done in this country!!!

OK - sorry I ranted. Just needed to get that off my chest!!

Patti B.

Patti: I don't know where you are getting your treatment but at MDACC and I'm sure some of the other big centers, they have people whose jobs are to get you these approvals! I had already found the program for Avastin before I realized MDACC was already working on it for me. I was really glad because the forms I found on line were for the doctor. I was going to download it, fill out all the info I could and then give it to the doctor requesting they complete her part. Didn't have to do it but if I were at a place that didn't do it for me, guess that's how I'd go about it. I also learned that the replacement program that covers the cost of the drugs only applies when there is not a generic drug for the trade named pharmaceutical.

Judy in Key West

I have been trying to beat this disease for over 4 years. I have fairly good insurance. But as far as loosing my house, I would not go that far. I want to leave something for my survivors. I have already made a pretty good run at it and my options are running low. I guess I have been fortunate so far in my costs. I had big out of pocket costs the year before last, but I was able to cover that with a retirement lump sum. Right now I am on tarceva, which seems to be working, and my copay is $30 a months because it is considered a retail pharmacy drug. If I were to do taxoxtere, my copay would be 30%. I’m not sure, but I suppose the chemo costs about $4000 or $5000 a month…maybe less.

Don M