New member & Stage IV NSCLC Fighter

Hidilynn

Hello to All!

I'm a 44 year old, single mother of two, who was dx with stage IV NSCLC (Adenacarcinoma) back in December of 2006. I am also far from being a creative writer and apologize in advance for typos :lol:

I would like to start by saying how impressed I am with the details (knowledge & vocab too) everyone has provided regarding their illness and treatments. I haven't kept a "diary", so to speak (probably as a form of denial), and now that I think about it, I realize a lot that has happened, both good & bad, and that I now have to rely on pure memory....(uh oh)

In a nutshell, I was dx during a three week stay, at my local hospital, fighting pneumonia. They started chemo immediately, which was the Taxol/Carbo etc... that looks like just about everyone started out with, followed by Avastin, which was not effective and allowed the disease to progress. I am now on due for my 11th infusion of Alimta (2nd line?)and my most recent PET scan (March 21st) showed "decrease in disease", which I will further discuss with my Dr. on April 2nd.

It's been a long, hard, hard road since my dx and with the exception of my best freind, I've been fighting this alone (while trying to raise my 16 & 12 yr old). It's that same best freind who found this website for me (I have done very little research, again possible denial??). I'm happy to know that there is a place I can go where people know what I have, what I am and what I will be going through!

Wow, that was a long winded intro, didnt know I had that much breath in me..... :o I look forward to reading, learning, praying and being inspired by all who come here.

Welcome to the boards! I am so sorry that you need to be here, but you have found a great group here at LCSC...You will find answers and support when you need it. I think it's incredible that you have been dealing with this while taking care of your children. I'm sure that your friend is a very special person and I know she must feel lucky to be in your life. It sounds like the Alimta is working well for you (that's what my Mom is currently on) I hope you get some good news from your Dr on the 2nd. Please let us know what we can do for you.

Shelley

Welcome Hidilynn. Welcome to our group. I am sure your "denial" was also related to the fact you have 2 young people to raise. I bet you want to be "strong" for them. So glad you found us. I hope you don't hesitate to share with us, it is good for you to have someone to talk this out with. We all understand, we are or have been through it.

Keep us posted.

DonnaG

Hello and a warm welcome to you, Hidilynn,

I couldn't have chosen a place better than this. Its membership has knowledge, warmth, and support ("are there for you"). I think you will find it the same.

Having your friend in your life is a great blessing for both of you, raising two children is also and amazing feat.

All of our children are "forty-something." :) Our grandchildren are your children's ages. They keep us current. :lol:

So very glad you came here, albeit not for the reason.

Please continue posting about your journey so that we can get to know you better? We would love to see you here again.

Barbara

Welcome-

I am glad that Alimta is working for you. Let us know how your upcoming appointment goes. You are very lucky to have such a good friend to rely on. This disease is very hard and it can't be easy trying to raise 2 kids and do chemo.

I am glad you found us.

Rochelle

Welcome Hidilynn. I'm especially excited to welcome a fellow 'bad' typist!!!! No need to worry about that here! There are no grades given ~ if there were, I would fail miserably!

I'm so sorry that you have the need to be here. But the others are correct that it is a wonderful place to find info, compassion, understanding, support, and friendship. Speaking of friendship, you've got a gem of one who found us here.

There are many members who can offer you their expertise. Stay with us and be sure to keep us all updated.

Kasey

Hello Hidilynn and welcome

I hope you will find this site to be helpful as well as caring and supportive. Please let us know how we can help you and know that there is always someone here to offer encouragement, advice and support as well as HOPE!

I am glad you have joined us...

Christine