Gemzar

atlanta1

Hello everybody,

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been treated with Gemzar - any strange side effects? Looks like the side effects are similar to the other chemo drugs.

My dad starts this chemo today - some recent problems with his liver (a site where his cancer had spread) led to yet another change of chemo drug.

As always - thanks for the help.

My mom was on gemzar and gemzar/carbo. She did really well on it. She said it was not as bad as she thought it would be. The first round was easy and it does get worse as time goes on. J ust when it hit the worst, she was done with it.

She had the typical chemo side effects of nausea, fatigue, etc. She became dehydrated and needed a hydration drip a couple of times. She only lost half her hair, never needed a wig. And she did have to get some shots to boost her red blood cells. All in all, it was tolerable for her.

My husband has been on Gemzar only since 5/07. It has stabilized his cancer and has been a pretty easy drug. A little heartburn/indigestion the day of the and the day after. Some fatigue but manageable. The only real problem we've had is low blood counts. Has had to receive several transfusions to keep his platelet and blood cell counts up. Hope it works as well for you as it has for us.