When is MRI for mets assessment given?

mandycat

Hi all,

Newbie here, just joined today. I hope my moms profile is showing up (trying to figure this out!)

She was diagnosed last October with stage IIIa nsclc. She has had numerous tests, the usual battery, x-rays, CTs etc. but no MRI has been done. I mention this because before her dx she had vision problems and an odd head pain that radiated into her face. She went to an ophthalmologist and had dx of early glaucoma (according to her, luv my mom but she is really bad at remembering what docs say). She was given 2 different rx drops and seemed to be o.k. but of course the cancer dx came right after. Never sure if this was incidental or somehow related. She never mentioned this to the oncologist.

Now to present, she has had one eye with redness in the corner, symptomless but a little concerning to me. Despite the fact that I worry easily, she hasn't had any scans of her head. I have been working on retrieving reports from various tests but I don't have the PET scan result. I have heard MRI scans are more sensitive in lesion detection. My question if I can articulate one, is when would an MRI be ordered? Does the doctor need to have suspicion before ordering this test? :?

Thanking you in advance,

Michele

Hi, Michele:

This article from OncTalk by our much appreciated Dr. West should answer your questions:

http://onctalk.com/2007/04/05/intro-to-brain-mets/

In a nutshell, it states that for NSCLC, there is no clearly established standard as to whether an MRI of the brain should be included in a patient's initial workup. It also explains why an MRI is superior to a CT scan and especially superior to a PET or CT/PET scan for detecting brain mets.

My diagnosis is NSCLC (adenocarcinoma) IIIb. I had a CT scan, bone scan, and brain MRI before starting chemo. My PET scan didn't come until a year later (see my profile). Aloha,

Ned

My Mom had everything done in the beginning (CT, MRIs and PET) Since your mom is having symptoms, I would ask the Dr. about doing the MRI....It doesn't hurt to be a little pushy...By the way, my mom has been having some trouble with her eyes and after doing a second MRI (negative) they feel that the eye problem is a side effect of the chemo. Her eye Dr. has her on glaucome drops and also feels that the increased eye pressure is due to the chemo. Good luck! Shelley

hey there. I am a 3b and have never had a MRI done. Have definitely experienced vision side effects from chemo though. Maybe I should be asking for MRI as well but have mentioned to my med onc and am sure she would have asked for one if she thought necessary. But it sure never hurts to ask. Best wishes

Hello all!

Thank you for sharing with me. It never occurred to me her symptoms could be a chemo-related side effect. I think I am going to ask about having an MRI when mom and I go in for follow-up on Wednesday. I admit to being very antsy when things don't seem right to me, but I would rather err on the side of caution so I maybe should be more pushy? I noticed that many survivor stories have early detection of mets in common, I want my mom to be in this category. So I watch for any "blip" on the radar, sometimes I just can't be sure.

I will say her oncologist has stayed positive throughout, never giving stats except positive ones, he just always seems so busy. Several things we were told concerning her treatment changed, not for the sake of changing course in treatment but rather that he forgets what he told us :oops:

I will also use onctalk, what a valuable resource.

Thanks again,

Michele

Michelle-

I had an MRI upon dx to r/o any brain mets. Just recently had another one because of headaches I was getting which fortunately was negative.

Never hurts to cover all your bases - please continue to be very proactive with your mom's care.

Bugs - Patti B

Thanks Patti!

It's a fine line for me to walk concerning her treatment. I want to remain proactive but I don't want her to think I'm over-stepping boundaries. My mom doesn't like to "bother" the docs. I know they do know what is best, it's just I have noticed continuity in others treatments and I don't want anything missed. I posted on the 'introduce yourself' page again but forgot to include a subject line (I'll get the hang of this!) and I wanted to include a few things about my mom that are a testament to her character. She lives with my stepdad who is 75 and has COPD, my 45 y/o brother with cerebral palsy, and raises my 5 y/o nephew who is in preschool. A lot of people need her, including me. By the way, I am a neighbor, I live in Eastlake :D

Michele

Hi again Patti!

We have been very fortunate and have avoided flooding (fingers crossed) but we are close to the worst areas and always have to re-route due to street closings.

I drive to Akron for my moms treatments, she is receiving hers through the Summa Health System at Akron City Hosp and the onc is across the street. I work for the Cleveland Clinic trascribing for Hillcrest and Euclid pathology, we interact with the main campus all the time, do you go to the main campus (downtown) for treatment? They are very good. A co-worker had treatment there a year ago and is now NED. What a small world :lol:

Sometimes I don't know how my mom is doing all that she is. I notice positive attitudes, strong faith and determination are common factors here, my mom definitely qualifies. You all have given me strength vicariously and boy am I grateful.

Hugs back,

Michele

Michelle-

Yes, I go to Taussig at the Main Campus - I really like them there. Small world - a second cousin of mine who I haven't seen since she was 2 is a chemo nurse there and we have reconnected!!!

Glad you are not directly in the flood area - supposed to rain ALL week long - YUK!!

Your mom seems to be such a strong person in looking at all she takes care of. That will probably be a great help to her during this fight.

Mom is lucky to have you by her side.

Take care - many hugs - Patti B