Nerve pain in back

Meadow

I have been suffering with nerve pain in my back for about 6 weeks now and my medications has been increased and it has not helped at all. I am currently trying to deal with it but having it every day it getting to me. I only wish I could catch a break and just have some relief for a bit..

This pain is from my surgery I had last March 27, 2007. After the surgery I suffered about 2 weeks with it and then it was gone. I have not felt it since then and now all of a sudden it's back.

Has anyone experienced this before? If so how did you deal with it. I am on nerve pain medication too.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thank you all

God bless,

Linda

Ten years later, I still know I had a thorocotomy done at times. That first year though was different. Finally went to a Dr. that gave me treatment , turned out besides the fall out from having the nerves cut on the ribs when they break them to get into your chest, I had many " Trigger Points " in the muscles. He could feel lumps in the muscle. They had to be massaged or "popped" to get rid of them.

Donna G

Boy Linda, I don't have nerve pain (I don't think) but I have had some nasty back stuff going on off and on for about 10 years now. Mine all started after my lung surgery too not to mention my heart surgeries as well.

I have to say I got to where I was willing to try anything and I did get some releif from my chiropractor. I even tried Phys. Therapy and that helped for my neck pain but didn't do anything for my back pain.

Pills help me sometimes, but not all the time and if your like me you don't want to have to take those darn pills.

Hugs,

Connie

Hello Connie,

No I don't like to take all the pain meds but I don't like being in this pain. It can become very bad at times and that is the only thing I can do. Right now I have been taking them as prescribed and I do have a little relief. I can't take anymore now since I do have to drive my car and I don't want to be under the influence while doing that. So I have to deal with it right now.

Thank you so much for responding to my mail. I had posted before but I never got any responses until now. I do appreciate it.

Fondly,

God Bless

Linda

No I haven't since it's nerve pain and I didn't think they would help. I am being cared for under the pain management team at Sloan-Kettering. They are working with me to see what is best for me. Hopefully we can get it managed.

Thank you

God Bless,

Linda

Linda,

My meds for my back issues (sciatic nerve) have included the following:

Daypro - anti-inflammatory

Robaxin - muscle relaxant

Lyrica - to help with the nerves (not a pain killer though)

Had to take pain medicines at times, too. I've had two back surgeries--one 15 years ago and the other one about 18 months ago.

Hope this helps you. Praying for the doctors to find the right combination and for you to feel better soon. Take care.

Linda,

About 25 yrs. ago I had back surgery for 2 herniated disks that were pinching a nerve. I was in constant pain, sharp pain running down both my legs to the ankles. I could not sit or lie down comfortably. The doctors gave me an NSAID (Naprosyn), and Hydrocodone when the pain was not relieved with the NSAID. These helped tremendously. The surgery helped even more! Hope that you can find something that works for you. Has your doc tried prednisone?

Good Luck and God Bless,

Sharon

Right now I am doing very well without pain. That's all that matters to me that I have some relief.

I do appreciate your help and suggestions with this back pain. It has been such a very hard pain to live with. Going to bed every night sleeping on my left side which I am still doing. Eventually I will change that and hopefully I will have no pain.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.

Fondly,

God Bless,

Linda

Linda

Connie mentioned accupuncture and that was my thought as well. I have been seeing an acupuncture therapist for migraines since last year and my husband has been going for severe shoulder pain. We both have had excellent results.

Warmly

Christine

Hi Christine,

I have used accupuncture in the past for other pain issues but not for this one. I have been very lucky with the accupuncture too. I have used it for fibromyalgia and that did help. It also helps me with my sleeping.

Maybe I will make an appointment to go over and have some therapy done.

Thank you so much for reminding me about it.

Fondly,

God Bless,

Linda

Hi Linda.

I am glad I could help. I love going for the appt simply because it IS so relaxing and makes me feel so much better mentally as well as physically.

Keep us posted if you do go and let us know how it works out. Would be interesting for many of the others to read about too I am sure.

Warmly

Christine

Hi Linda, I had the same problem resulting from a biopsy surgery. After trying several pain meds that did not work my oncologist prescribed gabapentine. It actually is a anti-seizure medicine but I believe works by blocking the signal from the brain and does not have the side effects of your regular pain med. It worked absolute wonders for me. Eventually the pain did subside as well on it's own and I don't need to to take the medication any longer. It's definitely worth a try if you haven't already.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. I have heard of that drug but never used it. I will have to copy it down. It's not a common medicine you hear about every day.

I was reading your history and I see your also on Alimta. I just had my 3rd round on Thursday. I am due for a scan this month, I think the 17th. I am hoping that there is no progression in the lungs. If there is I might be looking at my 3rd surgery on my right lung. Apparently there are two big tumors in my upper right area and they can be removed. So if that's the case I should have them taken out. Too bad I wasn't just talking about having a tooth pulled. That is so much easier.

Again, thank you for your help.

God Bless,

Linda