NEED SOME EMOTIONAL SUPPORT

LucysHope

Howdy!

I'm hoping for some guidance here. My sis has SCLC and currently is not doing very well. The tumor in her lung has returned. She was in remission for a few months but it came back. She can't get chemo because her blood counts are so low. Now, she can hardly breath. I don't understand why the ONC is not doing anything but giving her asthma crap! She can hardly breathe! Her plateletes are low also! Any advise from anybody would be appreciated. Thank you.

Oh, I am so sorry to read your post. I think at this point it sounds like your doc is trying to ge her "healthy" before he begins treatment of any kind. I know my dad's doc said that the number one thing one can do in regards to remission...because you certainly can't control whether the cancer comes back or not, is to be as healthy as possible, so that you are ready to have whatever they can, thrown at you...

Scary, I know.

I just posted in another thread that I do think we have to be advocates of our own health care. In other words, if you are unhappy in your current situation, you might want to consider getting another opinion.

Blessings to you,

Jen

Hi There!

You are right Jen. She has been through chemo and radiation. The ONC has really zapped her good. My sis did mention that she was interested in looking into "CANCER TREATMENT CENTER OF AMERICA". I contacted them today and they will be sending me some info. Anybody have any contact with these centers?

I'm so sorry for your sis. I would look into a second opinion. With me the first onc said he didn't see anything on the ct's. I wasn't satisfided so I went to a cancer clinic. There they said it was in both lungs and didn't know how the previous onc missed it. You have to have faith in your onc because you have to much other stuff to worry about. Thats just my opinion. Hang in there!!

Hi everybody,

Not good news. They just now rushed my sis to ER. Not breathing good & I think she has a fever also. She's in Northern Calif. I'm in Southern Calif. They had to carry her to the car. When I spoke with her last night she didn't sound good. I told them to call me when they get her in there and I will fly up. I'm so scared!

Howdy!

Had a very scary day today. Sis went to ER. She has pneumonia. Great........We have been texting all day. She could hardly breathe. They gave her some kinda breating treatment which didn't help so then they gave her some meds to help her relax and she was better. She even called me. We have been mostly texting all day. I haven't heard from her for about 30 minutes now. She said she had some visitors so I'm thinking docs are there. I will keep y'all posted as to what is going on. I really appreciate your support and listening. Thank you.

Thank you so very much Betty!

She was transported to a hospital in Sacramento today. She will be having a TreachialBronchial (sp?) stent put in to help her breathe. I am flying up there this afternoon to be with her. Her boys will be there. At least 5 of them. But I'm her sis & she needs me. I will be spending the next couple of nights in the chair next to her bed. If she needs ice, her pillow adjusted, her blanket, a joke, and just to be there. The procedure is supposed to be fairly simple and easy. I pray that all goes well. Don't know how long I will be gone. At least until next week. I will let y'all know how everything went when I get back. Thank you all so very much for your kind words and support. It is appreciated very very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Y'all!

Just wanted to let you know that they did the procedure and SHE CAN BREATHE again! She told me that a few days before I came up she didn't think she was going to make it. Her breathing percentage was only at 2 percent we found out. I am so glad that I went there to be with her. I did get to spend a wonderful 2 nites in the hospital with her, but oh.......well. The procedure was immediate and she can breathe. That's all that counts. She is so very tired right now. I just spoke with her on the phone. She's been having problems with nausea, even tho she hasn't had chemo. But I suspect it's because of all that she has been through and the anesthesia and stuff still lingering. I hope. To this day, she is still LIVING AND BREATHING! TYVM!