Hello I am new here, I have sclc and I am scared

Guest cbysea1

Guest cbysea1

I was just told I had cancer and had just a few moths to live.I was and am devastated but in between crying jags I know I am strong and I will fight this beast with all the strength I can muster.I pray.

I have been looking to find a place where I see how others are dealing with their cancer.I am a 56 yr old woman with 3 kids , 3 step kids and 8 grandkids all together.We have a lounge and lodge on the Gulf of Mexico,Louisisna.

I had bad pneumonia and they found a lesion and boom .....1 ct scan later I knew I had cancer.Tomorrow I go to the cancer doctor to find out when I do chemo.

I am so afraid and scared for my family.A lady named Sandy answered my message and all of a sudden I felt hope knowing I can talk to others like myself.

Thanks for listening,

Cheryl

Dear Cheryl,

I am so sorry you have to meet everyone under these circumstances. But you have found the right place. I feel so very alone (my mom is battling lung cancer) and everyone here makes me feel like I have a shoulder to lean on. Don't let any doctor tell you how long you have and never lose hope. There are so many inspirational stories of survivors here. So welcome, you have found a supportive family. I will keep you in my prayers. Blessings.

Hi Cheryl,

Welcome to the board. First of all don't listen to any time frame on life. They are just stats. Only the good Lord above knows how much time we have left. I understand you being scared. I came home and went straight to bed when I was told I had cancer. You will find that there are a lot of people here that was told they only had a few months, but are here months and years later. Feel free to vent here or just look for info on a situation like yours. Seek a second opinion and be sure you are comfortable with your doctors. Keep us posted and give us an update on your situation.

Bruce

Guest cbysea1

Sandy you are doing so good! Does the chemo make you sick? Where is your area? Mine is high and middle with lymph node enlarged.I guess I will know better after tomorrow, after Cancer doctor visit.

I am so pumped by your stats.

You "Look * and sound great.

Did chemo make you sick? Did you loose your hair?

All I hear are "no chance of survival" or whatever.I blocked the doctor's speech after he said I had stage 3b sclc.(I had already guessed it by looking at my ex-rays the 2 weeks before.)

So my daughter and husband listened and took notes.

After the verdict was read ,I told the doctor I was sorry that he had to tell me this news.It must be hard being a Doctor who has such things to tell his patients.

I guess all will be reveled tomorrow at the next doctor..

Again ,thank you Sandy so much

Cheryl

Cheryl -

Actually that picture was taken in February-ish and it's a wig.

My OWN hair is now almost that long. So "yes" I lost every strand of it. It was halfway down my back before all this started! Guess I should get a new picture in there!

My tumors, there were three, were located in my left upper lobe and medisturum (sp?).

Chemo made me weak, but not sick. Radiation kicked my butt. But it also kicked the tumors butt!

Keep taking someone with you to the doctor, not only for emotional support, but to keep track of the questions you want to ask and the answers you get. WRITE DOWN YOUR QUESTIONS or you WILL forget once you're sitting in the office.

Good luck tomorrow and keep us posted,

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

Guest cecilia

Hi Cheryl,

I'm so sorry to hear your news but am very concerned about a doctor who says you have a few months to live. Has your cancer been staged and has a treatment plan been outlined? I'm so sorry that a bomb was dropped on you and all of the information that you need in order to absorb this was not given to you. You sound strong and determined with alot of fight in you. I can tell from your posting and you will find a doctor who will treat you with compassion and will provide an effective plan to fight your cancer. Keep us posted on your progress. Hug, hug, hug! Cecilia

Cbysea, First off, Welcome to this board. You have just found the best place in the world for lung cancer. I use the term "lung cancer" loosely here. This board is made up of people from all walks of life. Patients,caregivers,family,friends,nurses, and i suspect there are a few Drs. who log on here from time to time as well. I would like to make some suggestions to you prior to your Drs. visit. # 1 get a note pad and pen. Write down any and all questions you have for this Dr. Some of the things you will need to know are....... What stage your cancer is in ? What types of chemo meds you are getting, and how often ? Ask your Dr. about his experience with treating lung cancer. How much experience does he have with lung cancer ? What is your plan not only for chemo but through the entire treatment process ? This is of course subject to change but a general idea is good. Do not be scared to ask anything ! Also in your post you say that you had a CT scan. What other tests have you had ? Ask questions about scans tests etc.... some of what your going to be looking at include.... CT scans,PET scans,MRI's, bone scans,lots of blood work, etc.... knowledge is power for us CBY. If possible take someone with you in the Drs. office. It is very helpful. To make a long story short you have been diagnosed with a terrible disease. You are in for the fight of your life however, you dont have to do it alone. As far as them stats go.... I think we all look at them at first. Its just part of the gravity/realization of the situation setting in. Now, forget about them ! Concentrate on your treatments, and your well being. You have now become your own best friend and your outlook on this disease is going to have a direct impact on your recovery/survival. A diagnosis of this is not a death sentence. So with that in mind we all here welcome you and encourage you to join with us in fighting this monster. I wish you the very best at your Dr. Keep us posted......

Best Regards

Greg

Just wanted to welcome you here. You sound like a pretty strong person. As everyone said, Don't let the statistics get you down. There are many survivors in this forum. I just wanted to let you know that although sclc quickly mutiplies it also responds very well to chemo. Everyone reacts differently to chemo. It made my mother tired but it also made her feel good. She did lose most of her hair but she really didn't care, she knew she had to fight this battle. There are a lot of things out there to cover up a balding head so you don't really need to worry about that. If the chemo makes you feel sick, there are a lot of anti nausau medications available, if you need them, just ask the doctor. I believe that a positive attitude helps a lot. The initial diagnosis is really scary, but it gets better over time. Stay strong and positive and let us know how you are doing.

Dear Cheryl,

You are not alone here. The advice you've heard here is sound. Write down questions, write down the answers. Forget the statistics, and focus on your own fight. Put one foot in front of the other, one day at a time, and have faith in your self, your doctor, your plans for chemo and radiation. You are part of a team that is fighting your cancer, an active part of that team.

You will find people here to hug you, pray for you, wish you well, answer some questions, ask some questions, but mostly understand, as we are in the same fight. You will find friends, too.

Keep us informed as to what you've learned from your doctor and what the treatment plan is, and how you are feeling. We care, and we'd like to know.

Love and prayers sent your way,

MaryAnn

(((((Cheryl))))), I know hearing the words "You have Cancer" is probably one of the most traumatic things a person can go through but I also know that there is ALWAYS hope for a cure.

My hair came out 2 weeks after my first chemo treatment but I had gone in and had it cut short before chemo so it wouldn't be so traumatic. Mine was long enough that I was able to send it to Locks of Love which provides wigs for children who have lost their hair due to chemo or illness.

I will be praying for you and for your Dr. that they have the knowledge and the wisdom to get you on the right treatment path. God Bless you.

Guest cbysea1

First of all I want to thank every one of you for welcoming me and sharing your stories.I am so happy to have found you all.I consider finding this board a God Send.I have been blessed a thousand fold since my illness .

I am going to beat the treatments that will take my hair.I have very long hair and I cutting it off next week and giving it to the Locks for Children ,I think thats the name.Heck I always wanted to wear some funky wigs!

These are the notes my daughter took today.

I am trying to be brave but I still close up and cry sometimes.She is keeping me on track.I am better today because of all my friends who are praying for me and calling me in prayer. I know I can beat this this if I pray and try hard enough to be positive.

I will take more CT scans to see if it has gone to my brain and any other organs as soon as I can but I start Monday with both radiation and chemo.

The Doctor is doing it next monday ,before the ct scans on my brain ,as if the 2 cancers were all I have . If I have more I don't know how they will do that.

Here are the other things the doctor said.

mixed histology of limited small cell cancer and squamous cell

meds: carboplatinum and VP16

If its not in my brain its a 20% chance of living 5 years and then they call that remission.

70% of tumors respond to treatment

1/5 will enter full remition after 5 years or 20%

CHEM/Radiation on

M,W,F and then off 3weeks,

M,W,F and then off 3 weeks,

M,W,F and then off 3 weeks.

That completes one cycle of meds and will administer new tests and scans to see if it has shrunk.

I don't know how to put my picture in this like you all's pictures.maybe this will work.

http://groups.msn.com/CherylsGardens/qu ... hotoID=376[/img][/url][/url]

(((((Cheryl))))),

Sounds like you will have the same course of treatment I did. It can be a bit much at times but as long as you can rest and eat you will get through it. My Dr. gave me Ativan to ward off any naseau (sp) and it worked the best. They tried to give me Ethyol for the radiation but THAT made me sicker than a dog, lol.

Prayers for cure and God Bless.

Hi Cheryl,

I'm so glad you found this site. These people have been a blessing and have provided so much knowledge, comfort and support. When my father was initially diagnosed, everyone stepped up to the plate and always answered my questions. I'm sure many people ask the same questions over and over, but these wonderful people here reply regardless of how many times someone asks the same thing. I went to the link that you provided and saw the picture of you and your husband. What a beautiful couple! By just looking at you I can tell that you are a fighter and have a fiesty spirit which are both important for your upcoming battle. We will al be here with you every step of the way. Keep us updated.

Kathi

Hey Cheryl,

Sorry you needed to find this place ... but glad you did!

Now ... go tell those folks telling you that you have x amount of time to live to take a hike. I had a friend who had brain cancer. He was told he only had a few WEEKS to live before the cancer killed him. He did die of the brain cancer ... ten YEARS later! In those ten years he got married and started a family, started and became very succesful in a new carrier, got very involved with his church and spent many of those years reaching out to others.

Forget the stats, live YOUR life instead.

Dean

Hi Cheryl,

I am new here as well.... sorry to hear about your diagnosis.... I know what you mean about being scared.

A good friend told me recently... that none of us are guaranteed tomorrow, that we all could have something happen to us at any moment... and that it doesnt matter if I live another 40 years or 2 weeks... that the important thing is to make the most of the time and not let fear over take me.....

I thought that was sound advice....

I also know the doctors are wrong as often (or more) as they are right..... try and listen to the people here, and just do the things that will give your body the best chance to reduce or eliminate the disease.

Joe

Hi Cheryl and welcome to the board.

Now, you have many many prayers and people to talk to.

I wouldn't bye into the just a few months to live stuff. My mom (judy B) has had bad stats like that and survived 2 years so far and we are confident that she will be around many many more years, so hang in there and "try" to stay positive, and get Lance Armstrong's first book, "It's not about the bike" it is amazing and really will help you see that even the worst "stats" can be beaten!

Hang in there and I am sending you hugs

:D

Guest cbysea1

Hello Fellow Warriors,

I found you my first night of the realization of what faces me.

I came afraid and scared.I have sent this boards link to all my people.They can read the wonderful stories first hand.They can ask questions and become as safe from the fear of the unknown as have I have become.

In time ,I want to help others the way you have helped me.

I won the first round.I gave my hair .I did not have it taken.

Next round .Chemo and Radiation in the morning.

I am praying now not just for my family but for all of you all here.

God Bless Us All,

Cherylhttp://www.photoparade.com/pickup.asp?2263-7336-77308

Cheryl,

Don't give up. Turn it over to the Lord and then do what you can to help him! I was diagnosed 2 years ago with stage 4. Chemo started Dec 6 and my song at Christmas was "All I want for Christmas is a head full of hair" because it was all gone by then. Everyone made me feel so good telling my how great my wig looked! by July 4 I could go without a wig (it was short) but for 6 months I enjoyed natural curely hair and then it went straight again. Nice while it lasted! Feb 12, (the day before my 69th birthday) they removed the entire left lung. I was short of breath but in a couple of months was doing a little yard work, delivering Meals on Wheels and in Aug started bowling with the fall league. What I am saying is that this doesn't have to be the end of life or even the end as you knew it. Determinatation goes a long way and you sound like a person with a lot of that. Don't give up, try no to be discouraged and don't pay any attention to stats. You are an individual! God bless.

Cheryl,

I am new here also...looking for support and answers to all the questions I had about the horrid disease that my husband ...you and many other loving and supportive people here are all fighting.

As the others have said, you have found a wonderful place to be while you battle the beast. I am sorry that you have to be here...but am glad to be able to reach out and offer some kind words if nothing else.

I admire your spirt and determination..and the fact that you donated your hair! What a blessing for someone else! ....good things from bad!

It is perfectly normal to be scared....I would worry if you weren't!

We are all scared....but..we are not going to let it win the battle!

We will pray for you and your family....offering up prayers for peace, comfort and strength to face the coming weeks/months and YEARS ahead for you!

Lynne

Hi Cheryl,

I too am in the same sclc boat with a dr who has said "no cure" . I have decided to take the excellent advice of the folks here and ignore his down prognosis and live my life, however much is left with grace, dignity, humor and happiness! I am through my first round of chemo, and start the second next week.

Welcome and know that you have found a wonderful place to be.

Betty

Guest cbysea1

I am so sorry about your husband.It is scary and it hurts. It also hurts the loved ones.If I can help with my limited knowledge of smclc and squamous 3rd stage I sure well be happy to. Is he under treatment?

I worry more for my family than me.They are always with me and asking doctors questions. I come here and I feel like I am in control when I read the posts to educate myself. I am so happy to have found this board.I belong to a quit group full of wonderful people.I have been there for a year or so. I quit and start.My last start back smoking was in last May and I think I got my cancer then.

What does your husband have? Like they tell me "Don't compare Stats". Keep as much positive energies combined with medical knowledge and have lots of love on him and your self and family .

The is was war that can be WON on so Many levels.

God Bless you,

Cheryl