Hello I am new here, I have sclc and I am scared

Guest cbysea1

Hi Cheryl,

I am new here myself, I have been reading all the post for about a month now. I was brought here because the two men in my life have Lung Cancer. My Dad and my husband.

My Dad was diagnosed in late July with NSCLC and my Husband in September with SCLC.

My Dad is doing very well he had 3 rounds of Chemo and scheduled to go to MD Anderson for lobe removal in December.

My husband had lost his voice in late August, we just thought it was a laryngitis, the Dr. prescribed Antibiotics and it just kept getting worse until he had pneumonia, what he has is vocal cord paralysis from the tumor. Like you said Boom :( When they first diagnosed him at the hospital they were not very optimistic at all he was diagnosed with extensive Midstinum SCLC with lymp node involvement and Mets to the Liver. Told us it was not operable or curable and things just didn't look good. I remember telling the Dr. this is just not acceptable. He said he would like for nothing more than us to prove him wrong and so far were doing a good job of it I feel. He has had 27 radiation treatments and 3 rounds of chemo so far. We had a Cat Scan last week and the scan shows it's almost resolved already, we have 3 more rounds of chemo to go still, so that should take care of the remainder I hope. Then we have to figure a plan to keep it from coming back. And beleive me were going to do our best.

Rosemary[/img]

Cheryl,

Bugger the statistics!! They pretty much told me the same thing and my

response was I don't think so. Because everyone is indiviual and there

is no surefire answer. You fight it as I intend to. I lay on the table under radiation and tell those buggers in my head to fry ____ fry!!

Learn as much information as you can because as the old saying goes,

Knowledge is Power!

As you learn more in enables you to face the challenges easier because you know what you are up against.

So hang in there

Jean

Guest cbysea1

I know you are right Jean.

I am always looking on the pc for any information.

I start radiation Monday /Friday nest week.5 days on and 2 days off for 5 weeks.I go back to chemo on Dec 12.

I talked to the last of my doctors today and he said live every day to the fullest. I think I can beat this one.

Whats your cancer?

I hope you are putting a dent in the damn devil.

Cheryl_Child of God

Dx Nov. 19

SCLC limited and Squamous 3b.

Had 3 sessions of chemo and

start radiation Monday

Cheryl,

Here's the low down on my mess, and yes I was a smoker for many years.

Though I received my first brochure for going to Aruba. A place called Bucuti Bay. Gotta ride that horse on the beach before I go off this earth.

My husband and I had planned on going on our tenth anniversary, it was recommended, shall we say, to go sooner. OKAY with me. So we are looking at the first week of February. They will just have to work the treatments

around it.

Keep your chin up and hang in there!!

Jean

DX 11-22-2003 NSCLC Stage IV w/met to brain

Bone scan not done yet scheduled the 9th

Full pathology not back yet.

Started Full Head radiation for 15 days on 11-25-03

On just steroid decadron for swelling

• 11 months later...
Guest cbysea1

Dear Sandy,

I am praying your scan will show NO cancer.That it will be a false read.

Sandy you were the first person with my diagnosis to help me with my fears and answer my questions on this site in November 03. I was just 1 or 2 days into my diagnosis.

You showed me there was hope when I had none.For that I am more grateful to you than you will ever know.

Your post to me gave me the positive head start I needed to be ready for the most serious event of my life.I owe you so much.

Again ...........Thank you.

I am praying for you to have a cancer free scan.

I want to give you same hope and cheer as you gave it to me.

Sandy if anyone can make it through this,I believe you can.

I will keep reading and following your posts.

I send my prayers and love to you Sandy.

Cheryl

Cheryl and Sandy and everyone else...

God bless us all... you are so beautiful. I just wanted to acknowledge that I understand that you, Cheryl, are giving back encouragement to someone who helped you through a tough time.

All the best to you Sandy for better health.

Cindi o'h

Together WE heal.

hi,

i'm not exactly an old-timer but have had cancer in my life. i have learned a couple things, and especially things attributed to mark twain.

he said:

1. there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. and i think he meant them in that order. we are not statistics. this is not to say statistics have no meaning but they do not apply with particularity to us.

2. of the 100 tragedies in my life 95 never happened. and i think he meant that most terrible things we imagine happening don't! i'd dispute him on the 5 he says did but i know he just said that for effect because at first people will not believe there are no tragedies. it takes wisdom to understand this and it is not apparent at first blush.

you hang in there and remember one thing. i bet it is okay right now, isn't it? it always is.

love, ken

Cheryl:

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Just keep in mind, my mother was told one year ago this week that she had a few months and that her cancer was incurable, and inoperable and that chemo would only "prolong your life by a few months". We got the whole quality if life Vs. Quantity speech from the Oncologist, one year ago. she said it was Stage IV, that it was in both lungs and throughout the chest cavity. Well my mother got a second opnion , met a wonderful surgeon who told us it was not stage IV, and it was operable. We let him do his aggressive treatment which consisted of radiation and chemo at the same time, then operate. Some others in the medical profession advised us that it was too aggressive. Well one year has come and gone, and there is not a trace of the disease in my mother's body. My mother is well at the moment, I do not remeber her feeling this well in years and years. So hang in there, do not let anyone tell you how long you have and seek a second opinion.

Erin

Hey Cheryl,

BeckyCW passed this on to me, it’s the last word on Stats http://cancerguide.org/median_not_msg.html.

You will find a lot of stuff to read and sometimes its hard to wade through but every once in while you will find something that makes a difference.

Don’t let the crying get you down, I’m a big tough dude and right after my wife watched be crying in the Bathtub I did my exercise work out. The devastation I felt with the cry is relative to the laughter I get today, cause I feel healthy. Don’t let the stats or anyone else get in the way of your fight.

Keep in touch with this site, it’s the best around.

Bo