My sister has LC and I'm terrified

Gracie

I'm not sure what to say. I'm looking for anything positive, any hope that I can pass along to my family. My sister Carol was diagnosed with LC last Thursday after some routine tests she had done. She thought it was pneumonia or a bad bug and they would prescribe an antibiotic. We are all devestated. She is 54 yrs old, never smoked, is a wonderful Mom of 4, and a great wife and sister. I've been crying for days and it still seems like a bad dream.

She is going for tests all this week in Rhode Island, where we live. I guess they drained some fluid from her lungs and that's when they discovered the Cancer. Monday she has a meeting in Boston (Dana Farber) for a second opinion with a top doc. I am hoping, quite naively, I admit, that he will say they are wrong. She said the pulminary dr. said she is Stage 3 and it's inoperable. Most of it is fluid(?) and there is a small tumor.

I am 41 yrs old and I've already lost a husband to liver disease, and 2 friends within the past few years to lung Cancer. I can't imagine watching my beloved sister go through what they did and her not being here anymore. I just can't bear that thought. Please, if anyone can offer me any hope or advice, I would appreciate it. I know I need to reach deep inside and find the strength to be positive for her. I just don't know how to do that right now.

Thank you,

Gracie

Gracie-

Welcome. I am terribly sorry that you found yourself here but if you are looking for hope - you came to the right place!!

Please read some of the profiles here. We have many, many survivors here that are doing great!!!

The beginning is always so terribly scary!!! Once you have a treatment plan in place for your sister,it will get better only because you know you are beginning to fight this awful disease!!!!

Your sister is very lucky to have you by her side. Please keep us posted on how she is doing and please come here often if you need to vent or ask any question whatsoever.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Gracie. I really understand how terrified you must be and I am glad you found this website. I wish I had found it much earlier on because I know it would have helped me in the early days. You should ask any and all questions you would like and many hear will respond.

Please know there is always hope. It sounds like your sister's case may be very similar to mine. Possibly Stage 3b with pleural effusion (fluid on lungs). I have had successful treatment to date...and so can she. Please see my medical history below.

Also, if you look under the NSLC posts, I started a thread asking for anyone in Stage 3a or b, so there is a good list of there of folks in Stage 3 successfully fighting this disease.

It is SOOO scary at first but I promise you that it will get better. Once a treatment plan is in place everyone will start to focus on that and fighting!!

My thoughts are with you, your sister and families. Take care.

Sandra

Gracie-

I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Once she starts treatment the "inoperable" part may change as the tumor shrinks. You will feel better as you get a treatment plan and more information about what they can offer her. I hope you will send her here so she can see there are many survivors.

Welcome.

Rochelle

Gracie I am so glad you found our group here. I was fifty when I was diagnosed. I went home sobbing that day and many more. I never thought I would make 51! I am also glad to here that she is spending the week having all those screening tests done. Boston is a great cancer center. In a short period of time I started chemo and daily radiation. When eventurally I did become operable and they removed the tumor they said it was all dead and scar tissue. I wish this for your sister also----dead scar tissue. She is so lucky to have you for support. We all need lots of support! Keep us posted.

DonnaG

PS I am 60 now!

Gracie -

So many of us have been where you are and we understand how scared you are right now. I know it is hard to believe but once your sister has met with the Doctor's and gotten a game plan set - things will start to settle down and be easier to deal with - the terrified mode will set into fight mode! Write down questions ahead of time, bring a notebook and take notes - because everyone remembers what was said a little differently, and come here often for support - the people here are wonderful. Look through some of the stories - they will give you hope - as you can see below I am Stage 4 and NED and I feel great - there are lots of us survivors here!

My prayers are with you and your sister -

Janet

Thank you all so much for your stories of hope and support. It's amazing to read your profiles and how hard you've fought this awful beast. I know my sister is a really tough cookie and will do everything in her power to beat it. I will post more once I find out a solid diagnosis and plan. Thank you again.

Gracie

Welcome to our "family". I am sorry about your sisters diagnosis but as you have seen here, we have MANY MANY surviviors.

Please let us know how we can help you and your sister and know that we are always here for you.

Please keep posting and let us know how things are going...

Warmly

Christine