Have any of you read these books?

Gracie

And would you recommend them to someone who has just been diagnosed with Stage 3 lung cancer? My sister hasn't started treatments yet and I know she is still in shock, depressed...but I know she will come out fighting. I have heard that laughter is good medicine and I think she would appreciate the humor but I'm afraid to make things worse. She is a young 55 and looks 35. She teaches dance aerobics and is very active.

Just wondering.

Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips by Kriss Carr

I'd Rather Do Chemo Than Clean Out the Garage:: Choosing Laughter over Tears by Fran Di Giacomo

Help Me Live: 20 Things People With Cancer Want You To Know - Lori Hope

Any other suggestions? I know she may not want to read it right now but I'm thinking for the future. Thanks.

Hey Gracie,

I love Crazy Sexy Cancer!! Great book with alot of useful information!!! Kris Carr is awesome!!

Another one is a collection of photography and personal (positive) stories called Goddesses Don't by Green Bananas.

There is a myspace page called the Sisterhood of Traveling Hope that share these books (for free) and many more. The only cost is to mail it back or mail it to someone else. Let me know if you are interested in getting that page. It is a great network and a wonderful way to meet survivors from everywhere!!!

Kris Carr is a member....

Also, Richard Bloch has some publications on his website that are VERY inspiring considering he was a 25 year terminal lung cancer survivor who died of something totally unrelated to lung cancer. I think the book is called "Cancer, there is hope"

Many, many good and inspiring books out there!!!

I know of many more...let me know if you want my list.

xoxo,

Jamie

I'd Rather Do Chemo Than Clean Out the Garage:: Choosing Laughter over Tears by Fran Di Giacomo

I have this book, but I haven't really read much of it. What I have read so far is ok, but it didn't hold my attention too much.

I am interested in checking out that Crazy Sexy Cancer one though

Gracie: I haven't read any of the books yet but have a message for your sister--THERE IS HOPE, BIG TIME. I was diagnosed IIIB lung cancer in November. Got news along the line like no cure but manageable, we hope for stable, after the big chemo (6 rounds) Avastin until the disease progresses, etc etc. On April 1 (no Fool's joke) my CT/PET showed I was in remission. If your sister has tenacity and a sense of humor, she's got a lot going for her.

Judy in Key West

Hey don't forget your local library -- as a librarian I can't help saying that.

At my library we'd certainly be happy to get any or all of these books for you and it's free. You can look them over and then if you decide you want to buy one you'll know which one to buy.

I personally like Crazy Sexy Cancer Tips. It's also a DVD but I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment on that. Amazon has the DVD for $15.

Linda

The Crazy Sexy Cancer DVD is very worth watching. She has a very contagious spirit! I have the book, bought one for me and one for Kelly, and had Kris sign them at a local book signing. She was as enjoyable and inspiring in person as well! Not sure if she is still doing a book tour, but if she is, I would encourage folks to go see her.

I also watched the Primetime show this week with more interviews with the CMU professor who became famous when his "last lecture" made it to youtube. He also wrote a book that just came out, titled "the last lecture". I haven't read it, but he and his wife are wonderful to listen to. I'll likely pick up the book as I am sure there will be some great things in there.

Hi Gracie. Someone else already mentioned Bernie Siegel. I found his book "Love, Medicine and Miracles" really helped me in getting my head wrapped around how to be "an exceptional patient" in the early days. I read it before I got my treatment plan and it sure helped with the waiting. Best wishes in finding some reading that will help. I think it is very important in calming the mind.

Sandra

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am amazed at your strength, all of you! I am also humbled. I've never been through the health crisis you have been through, but, I lived through a marriage with an amazing man who I loved and still grieve, who died from liver disease. He taught me so much about life. I am now learning from my sister but I hope she can beat this thing. Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...