Not A Good Day

Today was not a good day. Tom and I went to visit our friend in the hospital and I thought I was not going to get Tom out without a visit to ER. He's still in a lot of pain and it is not easing as it has been before. We were getting ready to leave the hospital because of his pain and when we got into the hallway he started getting all wobbly and could barely walk. I asked if he wanted me to get him a wheel chair and he refused. I had to hold onto him as he said he felt like he was going to go down. We made it as far as the ICU waiting room and he had to sit down. He was in a cold sweat and white as a sheet. He sat down for a few minute and after a trip to the bathroom we made it out of there and came home. His color came back on the way home and he is now resting. He said that his hips and knees are the worst.

Could this still be from the neulasta? Is it cumulative effects of chemo? Or just a fluke day? Either way it has been the scariest day that I have had since treatment started.

Denise

So sorry that Tom is having so much pain, Dave has pain but it is the bone mets, had no problem with Neulasta shot but they say that many have the aches and pains. So glad you got him home and he feels somewhat better, I hope he improves and the pain subsides. I can relate to how hard it is to feel so helpless with this pain thing, hang in there but if he needs help beyond you go to ER or wherever to keep him safe and not falling or injuring himself!

Deb

Pain Management is Priority ONE!!!! Let oncologist know about this episode to be on the safe side at the very least!

Hi Denise,

I hope Tom is doing better. I do agree with contacting his oncologist and letting him know what has happened.

Just to be on the safe side. I asked Hank if he thought that the problem he was having was an emergency. He said no. Luckily, I contacted his doctor anyway, we definitely had an emergency situation.

I would contact the doctor, just to be safe and ease your mind.

Wishing you all the best,

Gail

"Flyman35" ...He's still in a lot of pain and it is not easing as it has been before...He was in a cold sweat and white as a sheet...He said that his hips and knees are the worst.

Could this still be from the neulasta? Is it cumulative effects of chemo?

Could be either or both I would think, maybe on top of another condition. I assume he's not using a walker -- too macho male for that? Then how about a nice stylish cane?

I agree that calling the onc is in order. Chemo puts a whole new dimension on things that we'd normally feel silly calling the doctor for. I seriously doubt that the onc or his staff would ever cause you to feel that you're overreacted in such a situation. Aloha,

Ned

Definitely call the Doctor - if you haven't already -call 1st thing in the AM!!! You never know and it is better to be safe than sorry. Chemo can do all kinds of things to our bodies and since everyone is different, everyone needs to be checked out when new symptons appear. I learned the hard way when I didn't report something to the doc and my chemo nurse went thru the roof!!Luckily, nothing bad happened but it could of and I was just being too stubborn to call the doctor.

Keep us posted. Hopefully, this was just a fluke incident and nothing serious. Let us know what the doc says.

Hugs to you and Tom- Patti B.

Thanks all. I called the ONC first thing this morning and they said come in for an evaluation. It turns out that his BP crashed down to 80/58. He stayed and had a liter of fluids. This bought him back to 106/70 which they were happy with. He was chastised for drinking too much coffee and not enough other fluids. Suggested gatorade and lots of water.

They also said he needs to stay consistent with the pain meds and not be jumping from one to the next each night. He decided he would stick with the advil and see how it goes before he tries a new script.

Denise

Denise,

I am glad to hear Tom is feeling better. Dehydration

can be a bad thing. I leave Alan every morning with

a full bottle of Gatorade and water, which he knows I

will be "measuring" when I get home. I am hoping he is

actually drinking it and not pouring down the drain :wink:

I do hope Tom's pain gets under control. Prayers to you both.

Thanks everybody. Tom is doing much beter today. His weight is back down by 9 lbs again though. He is eating so I don't understand why the weight is coming off.

Anybody with insight on that?

Denise

"Flyman35" ...His weight is back down by 9 lbs again though. He is eating so I don't understand why the weight is coming off...

Cancer can -- and more often than not does -- bring about changes in the body that cause it to burn calories faster than normal. When a person is on cancer treatment it can be hard enough just to get the same amount of calories as before, but even more may be needed. When I was on Taxol/Carbo/Avastin in late 2006, I needed 3 cans of Wal-Mart's 350-calorie Ensure clone every day in addition to everything I was able to eat in order to maintain weight. Aloha,

Ned