My sister had a rough day yesterday...

I feel so bad. She had her first chemo treatment on Fri. and felt pretty good all weekend. But I guess she was feeling constipated and stopped taking the anti-nausea meds because it can cause that, and yesterday morning she got really sick at work and had to come home. Luckily my other sister lives across the street and stayed with her most of the day. I feel so bad - I just wish I could do something. I live 45 min away so I don't get over to see her more than once a week or so - I have a 3 yr old so it's not easy. I just wish there was something I could do to help her. She goes for her second treatment this Fri. Please keep her in your thoughts. She is the best big sister ever. I love her so much. Thanks.

I know exactly how you feel, as far as wanting to do something. At this point, all you can do is to encourage her to take those meds and drink plenty of fluids. I tried to help my sister while I was in town, by making meals for her to just take out of the freezer and cleaning her house for her. I know how much she appreciated that. It is important that you see her as much as possible. It seems that friends start to disappear around this time and the more support she has, the better she will feel.

I hope she starts feeling better soon. Let her know we are all thinking of her. Keep us posted.

Love,

Bobby

My sister is 240 miles away from me, so I really do understand how you feel. What I have learned from her, is what she appreciated from me most of all, was that I call her all the time. Nearly every day actually. Some days she may not be feeling well and the call is very brief. Other days, she has lots to talk about or loves hearing what I have to talk about. But I keep her in the loop and she one day referred to me as her "lifeline". I think really, the phone calls helped her alot. It isn't the same as being there, but it does help!

The helplessness is a horrible feeling. All you can do is to just let her know that you're there for her if she needs you. It doesn't matter how close you are, there's still very little anyone can do. I'll be praying for better days for her.

I agree with cat127. I live across the country from my mom (she's in Michigan, and I live in Arizona), but I called her every single day when I wasn't there. She told me several times how important that was for her, even when she couldn't talk long because she wasn't feeling well. If you can't be there physically, at least let your sister know you can always be there emotionally for her.

I know how you feel! I want to spend every minute I can with my parents and helping however I can. It is hard when you have work, kids, etc. I'm sure your sister understands that. I know she appreciates your calls and getting to talk about stuff in the news and just other goings on in general.

Hi there. I would give her some advice on the anti-nausea stuff. I wanted to get off of it too...and did muck around with it...well just a little bit, because of side effects. But I had the nurses practically beg me to stick with the prescription. The constipation can be dealt with if you get it very early on and act progressively (take more than bottle says..most clinics will give you a constipation protocol to follow). Once you start hurling...that is a much more difficult situation to treat than the nausea and other side effects and could maybe even affect the treatment plan. That you definitely don't want. And I am sure others have told her...but she shouldn't be working if possible...fighting cancer is her job right now. I hope things get better for her...the best thing she can do right now is get through the treatment, and do whatever it takes to do that.