LUNG CANCER

Guest ANGELACOFFEY

Guest ANGELACOFFEY

Hi my name is Angela I am 31 yrs.My mam has been diagnosed with stage 111B. She had 6 sessions of chemo beginning in April 2003. The tumour didn't reduce as much as what hoped and we have been told there's nothing more they can do except give her radiation when she runs into trouble. I find it very hard to deal with the fact that ther's nothing more to be done and am completely heartbroken that my mam has to face this. She is very strong and has been very positive but I know she's scared. Her knees and ankles are now swollen making it difficult for her to get around which has been the hardest part of the last few months for her as she is a very active lady. we have been told this usually happens to people with tumours and I would love to know if anyone else has experienced this and do you have any tips. Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling I'm just heartbroken and feel very helpless at the moment and don't know what to do to help my mam.

Hi Angela,

Sorry to hear about your mom. I would get a second opinion ASAP. Do not give up. You did not say if your mom has NSCLC or SCLC? There are plenty of options out there to help your mom. I’m sure you will hear from others for more suggestions. This is a great site with a lot of knowledgeable, caring and compassionate people. Take care and God Bless.

Rich

My 2-cents in battling cancer: Stay positive and focused. Never give up, never give in. Take one-step and one day at a time. Enjoy life to it’s fullest. Lots of laughing and yes even crying. It rejuvenates the body.

Hi Angela,

Good thing you found this site and we are here for you and your mom. You probably know more details of her diagnosis and treatment, which we would like to hear. You'll need all her reports and scans to take along when you go for another medical opinion, which I hope you can do immediately. Stay strong and don't give up...now is the time to fight for what you and your family want and need.

Looking forward to see your posts as you go through this process with your mom.

Blessings,

Margaret

Hi Angela,

My mom has nsclc, stage IV, diagnosed 10/03 and has had radiation/chemo. She is scheduled for a total of six chemos, just as your mom had. Hopefully your mom will be feeling better, as it seems one day is not so good but the next one can be better. You are helping your mom, just by being there and caring, even if it is just to hold her hand and give her a hug. Keep after the doctor to find a treatment. Ask about Iressa. I heard that can help, but I'm not well informed on that. Don't give up. Watch your mom's diet that she is eating healthy. Make her laugh!!! Good luck and please keep us posted on your mom's progress. Thanks. Cecilia

Dear Angela,

I'm sorry about your mom. I think you should get a second opinion. Just because one chemo doesn't work doesn't mean another won't! Don't ever give up. Sounds like you need a new Dr. My mother has completed her 3rd round of chemo and she has had a severe blood clot in her leg. She was on coumadin and the swelling didn't seem to go down. The doctor said that some people can be coumadin resistent so he now has her on Lovenox shots 2x a day (like Heparin). Blood clots can be an awful side effect of chemo but something can be done about it. Push for more answers and opinions!!

Let us know what happens.

Take care.

Kim