Dexamethasone anyone?

warmpup

I tried doing without however my Brains went KookooKaakaa. So, in order to think straight, I continue to take dexamethasone, 2mg. every 12 hours, and suffer a onslaught of side effects, namely; some dizziness,trouble sleeping,increased appetite and weight gain, bone/joint pain, increased thirst/urination, heartburn, vomit that looks like coffee grounds, puffy face, swelling of ankles and feet, nose bleeds, tiredness, mental/mood changes, unusual hair growth, muscle pain, weakness ( I walk like an extremely aged man ) The weakness bothers me the most, makes it very difficult to simply walk. Yep, that's the one that bothers me the most!

Suggestions?

Luv,

-Pup

Hi Pup,

What a bummer that you are having so many side effects. I only took dex for a day or two around my chemos so I don't have alot of advise for you, but I am sure that others will jump in soon with help.

I don't think I have heard anyone talk about throwing up anything looking like coffee ground, it could be a sign of bleeding internally. Maybe a quick call to the doc about that symptom would be in order.

I hope your feeling better soon. Know that you have alot of friends here hoping you have better days ahead.

Wendy - 4yr + survivor

Pup,

I did a quick search on the coffee grounds, you need to call your doctor:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_hemateme_crs.htm

What are the symptoms?

Vomiting blood can be a very frightening experience. In mild cases, you may notice small amounts of bright, red blood or dark brown or black material that looks like coffee grounds in your vomit. If the bleeding is severe, you may keep vomiting large amounts of bright red blood.

You may have other symptoms, depending on the cause of the vomiting of blood. These symptoms may be:

* heartburn

* stomach pain

* dark, black, tarry bowel movements.

Black, tarry stools may mean that you have had bleeding from your stomach or intestines for some time. Blood that passes through the intestines is digested and turns black.

I hope you find some relief and are feeling better soon.

at least they don't all happen at once. The weakness is fairly constant unless i get like two or three continuous days in bed. Just checked in from a grocery run. Felt about half weak YAY!! Had a HD MRI yesterday, no results reported to me yet :( then in May I'll schedule a head and body ct/pet then we'll see what can be done about all this sruff!

Thanks for your thoughts !!

Luv- Pup

Dang Pup! How tough are you? I could not take all of those side effects...but I am a wus. You are such a tough cookie. You stay strong and win this battle! I know you can. We are all behind you.

I would call and tell my doctor about all the problems this drug is causing..it is not like you don't have enough to deal with already. You should not have to be miserable.

Keep in touch!

Love to you,

Bobby

Hey pup,

I wanted to apologize that I didn't realize the vomitting happened a while ago......I didn't realize that. Unfortunately I haven't been able to come to the board to follow peoples stories as much as I should :( and my comment reflexed that.

I hope you start feeling better soon and that your scans show only good results!

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

On this date, one year ago, My lung Cancer was DX'd. Over the past year, I have gone thru Major surgery, Major Chemotherapy, Whole Brain Radiation, gamma knife surgery numerous MRI's and PET Scans. All the ailments I suffer from today are all side effect of the Dexamethasone. Friday, looked at the latest Brain MRI. No sign of the attacking node on the right side of my brain and the node on the left has shrunken to almost nothing. So, today, I begin another taper off program from the Dexamethasone. Hopefully, I will be able to ride my bike soon!!

See you all around soon!

-Pup

Congratulations Pup on ONE YEAR SURVIVORSHIP! It's not been an easy road for you, but you have fought hard to stay at the top, and so far it's working my friend. You ROCK!!

You'll be biking in no time. :wink: Sending you Positive Vibes and Get Well Wishes!

Pup: I know what you mean about needing this site. Don't know how I'd have gotten through the past several months without it.

Congrats on the great test results. Keep us posted on how you are doing without the dex. Have they told you anything about side effects for getting off it--sometimes we have go through stuff to get rid of stuff. Keep fighting. I know sometimes it feels like we don't get anything in this fight for nothing.

Judy in Key West

Pup: Not that I know of. I don't really have first hand knowledge of this stuff but I seems as long as you do it gradually as you are, you should have no problem. You'll do great. Sounds like you have been so far!

Judy in Key West