Hi all

Joe B

Hi,

I just found out about this site, and am excited about the possibilities for helping and being helped....

Just diagnosed 10/02/03... I am a 42 year old lifetime non smoker, who is a fitness fanatic (everyone is shocked)

I just started chemo..... and radition in mid November. Looking forward to completely beating this disease..... and helping to increase awareness and research towards a cure for all.....

scary stuff, but yet I couldnt imagine going through this without my Faith in God- I am grateful for that and all my friends and family.

Joe

Dear Joe,

Welcome to this great message board. I'm sorry about your diagnosis. I'm sort of new also. My mother was diagnosed in Sept 2003. I like your attitude and you will beat the cancer-I just have a feeling. Your attitude and faith in God will enable you to climb mountains and I love the fact that you are a fitness fanatic (I'm one as well!). You can't beat a strong body and mind.

You will get through this and God bless! :D

Kim

Hi Joe,

Welcome and sorry about how we have to meet. Great attitude. This is the palace to be. A lot of very knowledgeable and compassionate people. Take care and God Bless.

Rich :D:D:D

My 2-cents in battling cancer: Stay positive and focused. Never give up, never give in. Take one-step and one day at a time. Enjoy life to it’s fullest. Lots of laughing and yes even crying. It rejuvenates the body.

Ry,

I work for a large Catholic Healthcare organization here in Michigan ( at the corporate office)

I am being treated at St Joe's in Ann Arbor.

I went for consultations at U of M (Dr Kalmakarian), Karmonos (Dr Wozniak) and MD Andersen in Houston, Tx (I have a Uncle that lives in Houston- so Gina & I went there for 3 days about 3 weeks ago).

Based on all this input I decided to stay with the Hospital System that I work for.... the Oncologist is very good (Harvard trained), Rad Oncologist is a Uof M Grad / residency....and the Surgeon was excellent (Sloan Kettering for a number of years).

How about your husband? where is he being seen?

Joe,

I am sorry to learn of your diagnosis. Wishing you good results from your chemo and radiation treatments. And hoping in time you are feeling up to engaging in Lung Cancer Advocacy issues.... A letter to the the editor of your local/regional newspapers at this time telling them your story would go a long way towards letting folks know that one does not have to be a smoker to develop Lung Cancer. November is Lung Cancer Awareness Month, and anything we can do towards raising awareness is a big help.

Wishing you the best,

Hello Rich:

Welcome to LCSC. You are going to an excellent cancer center from what I hear from Ry and DavidA. As you see I am from another Big 10 state. I am a 2 year + survivor. I was originally stage I, but was restaged to stage IV this past April because of recurrance and mets to my lymphatic system.

I finished 6 rounds of carbo/taxol on September 2, after being a chemo all summer. (I am an avid golfer and tried to play as much golf as my body would allow, over the summer.) The fall golf season, for me, has been wonderful, as I returned to my pre-chemo form.

You and I will be going through chemo together over the winter, as it has been discovered that I now have mets to my liver. I am a patient of Dr. Joan Schiller at the U of Wisc. Comprehensive Cancer Center. It is encouraging to see what all the Big 10 schools are doing for cancer research. There seems to be quite a network between all the large cancer centers in the US.

In the 2 + years I have had lung cancer, and in searching for websites on lung cancer, this is the best. Everyone here really cares and have been closely touched by lung cancer, either as a patient/survivor, or a family member, or caregiver, or health professional deeply involved with lung cancer. All of us have experienced both the physical and emotional pains associated with lung cancer, so we are able to relate quite well to what you are going through. You are not alone in being a never smoker, many other members are the same. I refer to lung cancer as being the only "politically correct" cancer, as it crosses all socio-economical boundaries.

You are not alone in your Christian beliefs, as many of us are Christian. I sincerely believe that I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for my belief. I have put all my Trust and Faith in God. He in turn has sent me many of his instruments in the form of doctors, nurses, clinical research assistants, lab techs, etc. He in turn directed me, and you, to the best website for lung cancer.

I am sorry you have to be here, but since you have found us, we are glad to have you on board.

Joe,

We live between the Flint and Ann Arbor area. We started treatment at the new Hurley Genesys Cancer Center in Flint and then went to Dr. K at U of M for a second opinion. We decided to stay with the Flint center because it was closer for going to chemo and radiation treatmets. U of M agreed with the treatment plan he was getting so we decided for convenience we'd stay with the closer clinic.

My partner in crime, David A is getting treatment at U of M, and will check in here at some point and welcome you also.

I'm impressed with how much you've been able to accompish in such a short time since your diagnosis. Again, welcome.

Hello, Joe and Gina! You make a handsome couple -- great picture. Is that the Mackinac Bridge in the background? Welcome to the site. Sorry you have to battle this disease so early in you life. Let us know where we can support you and give you info. I went to graduate school at Wayne State in Detroit in the early '60's -- was in Michigan 4 years. We traveled around the state one summer and saw the pretty sites. Take care. My wife and I also are devout Christians, so we also have that in common. I believe your faith will carry you far. God's blessings. Don

Ry,

Wow.... I think we live in the same area. I , too, am between Ann Arbor & Flint. I live in Fenton. Gina & I just purchased 7 acres in Tyrone Township (Hartland/ Fenton area) .... where Lord willing, we will build our next house.....

Dr K at the Uof M, also agreed with our treatment plan, and didnt feel it necessary for me to see him- he knew of my oncologist and respected him..... so I think we have both done our homework, and decided accordingly..... its funny I have friends telling me not to take a chance and to go to MD Andersen forr treatment - of course they wouldnt be the ones living away from their family for several months....:)

I will keep you both in my prayers...... Good luck, I am sure we will be chatting more...

Joe

Don,

Thank you for your thoughtful note... Yes! that is the Mackinac Bridge in the background... Gina & I love Northern Michigan.....

Glad to see there are other believers in the forum.... of couse someone very wise once said "there are no atheists in foxholes"

you and you wife are in my prayerss...

Joe

Dave G,

well we have more than 1 thing in common... I too, am an avid golfer.... Cant think of too many other activities that have brought me so much joy (and frustration ! :) )

We will indeed be going thru chemo together this winter, and after my first cycle I have already figured out that its isnt all that much fun.....I took me about a week to start feeling back to myself again.

My next round begins Dec 3rd (every 3 weeks, a total of 4 cycles)

Take Care.... keep the faith!

Joe

Joe, my wife also is a non-smoker, never lived in a house with smoking. But she contracted NSCLC, diagnosed a year ago. Also, I am sort of a health fanatic myself -- I work out two or three times a week at the gym and try to watch what I eat. Like you, all my friends were shocked when I had prostate cancer in 1995 and then a heart attack and heart surgery in 1997. But I attribute my present health to the fact that I was doing the right things toward my health. That should help you in your battle as well. One of the favorite places Lucie and I visited in Michigan was Mackinac Island. Maybe we can get back there some day. God's grace. Don

Don,

Thanks for the encouragement. Some things really do not make sense... guess when we get to heaven - the answers will be provided.....

You really should go back to Mackinac Island and stay at the grand Hotel... it is a magical place.......

God Bless........

Well this is just too funny. I think I sent you here. A friend of mine was telling me one day about 2 people diagnosed with lung cancer (one of them being you). I gave her this site to give to them (you). I believe she gave it to her daughter, who gave it to your daughter, who evidently gave it to you. Yes, I also live in Fenton on Lake Ponemah. I will send you a private message.

So once again welcome,

Rochelle Yvonne

(Ry)

HI Joe, As Ry would say I'm her partner in crime. I'm so sorry you had reason to find this site, but I'm glad you did, it has helped me tremendously. I am having a recurrance of cancer discoverd in may 2002, had my first chemo a week from yesterday and second one yesterday and like you it sure wasn't fun. This second go around with this disease hasn't been as emotionally draining as the 1st time , a lot of the credit for that comes from the great friends I've met here, lots of great folks here.

Take care friend. David A

Hey there Joe.

It doesn't take too long to make new friends on this site, does it? You guys are starting to make me feel a little isolated up here; you all live in such close proximity to each other (slapping distance I hear).

Joe, I hope all goes well with your chemo - these folks have alot of combined experiences about handling the side effects, so make sure to ask questions. I didn't get the pleasure of going through chemo or radiation, they just took everything out in one shot and I didn't need it. I'm glad you found this site so soon after your diagnosis. I wasn't part of ANY support group until I found this site a year ago. It's sure a nice place to be.

And don't forget to keep up with your physical fitness routines - starting off real slow at first, then increasing levels as your body adapts and your lung capacity grows.

Take care Joe.

David P.

Dave A,

Sorry to hear about the reoccurrence...... sounds like you have a great attitude... please keep that up. Are you doing any complimentary therapy's?

have you heard about the budwig diet of flaxseed oil and cottage cheese mixed togeter and eaten each day (1/2 cup cottage cheese & 3-4 tablespoons of cold pressing flaxseed oil)?. Sounds intriguing....

Are you doing anything with your special with your diet ?

Keep the faith Dave.

St Paul when he was facing execution said - to live is Christ and to die is gain... and I really believe that in my heart.

But in the meantime I intend to fight this b*stard disease with all I have ..

I Look forward to future correspondence.... Joe B

Hi There,

Beautipicture of you and your wife. Wondering how you are recouping after surgery? Hope your chemo goes well. When I was on Taxol and Carboplatinum I did very well, hungry all the time, put on weight and some was muscle. Then lost 20 lbs with my pnuemonectomy and healing from surgery and the stomach problems. But doing pretty good now. Watch out for the flu, get flu shot and be careful of colds. Trust in the Lord.

God Bless Both Of You

Wishing and praying for your healing.

DougS