Hi all

Joe B

Doug S.

I actually recovered amazingly from surgery (I know I had a ton of prayers) . they said it would be a 7-10 day hospitalization, I was discharged in 5 days. The Surgeon did not have to break or wedge a rib, so I think that helped tremendously.

I was running and off all pain meds within 4 weeks. Thats what really made it hard for me to start chemo, because I was feeling so great.

I know what you mean by the hunger thing during chemo..... I cant believe how hungry I have been. My weight is just the same though, doctor says its because my body is using everything for the healing process.

Thnaks for the tip on the flu shot and watching out for colds. I just wonder if its too late for the flu shot now, sinceI have already started chemo?

Take care and God Bless,

Joe

Joe,

Speak with your doctors about this, but mine told me that we have to time the flu shot so that I have it when my white counts are at their highest levels, usually shortly before I am scheduled for another round of chemo. I can't have the flu shot when I am on Dexamethazone, which I recieve the day before, the day of, and the day after chemo (to inhibit possible allergic response to Taxotere). So I will be receiving my flu shot the day before Thanksgiving....it's the only time in my chemo cycle that my counts shouldn't be too low, and I'm not to near to using the steroids. Hope this info helps.

Fay A.

Hi Joe,

I had my flu shot about a month ago just before I received my chemo. No side effects at all or did it interfere with my chemo. I have had no problems with my counts since the very (except needed two transfusions of platelets back in Dec 2002 until they adjusted the chemo) beginning since that plays a roll also. I do not believe it is too late too get one. But you should double check with your health care team to be sure. Hope this helps. Take care and God Bless.

PS: a website http://www.findaflushot.com/lungusa/ind ... st=ZipCode addressing flu shots also.

Rich

My 2-cents in battling cancer: Stay positive and focused. Never give up, never give in. Take one-step and one day at a time. Enjoy life to it’s fullest. Lots of laughing and yes even crying. It rejuvenates the body.

Hi Joe!

Welcome, so sorry to hear about your cancer, but like everyone has said, this is a great place to be. My mom has cancer (Judy B) and so that is why I am on here. This is a great site and I have met many amazing people that I wouldn't have the priviledge to know otherwise.

I was going to tell you to find David P, since he is also a fitness fanatic, but I see he found you.!

Hang in there and welcome and please go to the chats on Wed if you can.

Big hugs!

Joe:

The Chat is from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM CT. Just click on Chat Chat Chat!!! at the top of the page. Enter the LC Issues room. Be rpepared for some "raw" humor from your neighbor Ry. :lol::lol::lol::lol::wink:

Welcome to the board. I applaud your positive attitude.

With God at your side...all things are possible.

My husband was just diagnoised in September 2003, so like you, we are adjusting ourselves. Dean has a positive attitude and a strong belief in God. I know it is helping him a great deal to handle this nasty beast!

My prayers go with you and your family.

Lynne

Joe:

As you can see from all the responses, folks here are the best! I took my dad to the ER on 10/2 (my mom's bday) to start our roller coaster ride. My dad was diagnosed the day after you and spent 12 days in the hospital. He is handling chemo and radiation well and is seeing Dr. today to start 3rd round of chemo. This site has been wonderful for me! I can always find my questions answered and help my dad through some of his trials by sharing info w/him. He was a smoker, but quit 20 yrs ago. Prior to diagnosis was picture of health (no forewarnings). Very active and healthy being a former Army sargeant who survived Vietnam and Korean Wars. Welcome from a Hoosier fan who wants to know if you like Michigan or Michigan State for bball! May God bless you and your family and give you the strength for your battle. My dad has had a very positive and fighting outlook with this beast and it has helped him emotionally and physically. Even w/mets in his shoulder, he has resumed playing fiddle, mandolin and guitar. He was so worried in the hospital that he wouldn't be able to hold musical instruments again, but the radiation has been a miracle for him -- hasn't had pain meds for over 3 weeks now. Take care!

Wow Joe -- seems that you have had quite a welcome already, but wanted to ad my "welcome" along with the others! I too am a lifelong non-smoker who was completely caught offguard by my diagnoses.

We seem to have had similar treatments -- surgery first, followed by chemo/radiation. I handled the surgery with flying colors--was only in the hospital 4 days. The combo of chemo/radiation together sort of knocked me on my butt for awhile, but I just kept looking for that light at the end of the tunnel and finally saw it!

You have a GREAT attitude, you seem very focused and that will serve you well! I saw that you mentioned nutrition in one of your post, if you ever want to chat about that or anything else, feel free to PM me.

Keep the faith,

Heather

Guest BibiGirl

I'm new, and seem to have trouble logging in. I'm very glad I was directed to come here. This Fiday 28th, I will be having a needle biopsy on a very large lymphnode on the left side of my neck. Also I will have a needle biopsy of my left lung (front-top) I'm 46 & yes, a smoker.

I first discovered the tiny pea sized tiny lump in my neck on Oct. 9th, now at Nov 25th, it has grown ALOT. I am frieghtened about the lung biopsy, I'm one of the worst chickens there are when it comes to needles, but I KNOW it has to be done. Even just to find out if the neck has any corelation with the spot/shadow on lung. The Doctors seem a bit puzzled,

BibiGirl

Hello Joe;

just wanted to welcome you to our wonderful family. :) , so very sorry that you have been diagnosed with this terrible disease.,

You will find very caring and understanding people here. But most importantly you will find SURVIVORS in every stage of this disease.

again welcome, and know you are not alone

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

For Bibi,

Glad you found this site. Good luck with your biopsies on Friday, and come back and share when you have more information, or if you have more questions. Please don't hesitate.

You might want to start a new thread the next time, so your intro doesn't get lost.

This place is wonderful, and full of supportive people who have gone through what you are facing now.

It helps.

Love and prayers be with you Friday,

MaryAnn