Chemo and shortness of breath

Hi everybody,

Happy Mother's Day.

I have been wonderingi if chemo itself (Carbo/Taxotere) can by itself increase shortness of breath.

After Hanks second treatment he developed a blood clot which landed him in the hospital.

We found out he had the blood clot because in the days following that treatment his shortness of breath increased and I contacted the doctor. Since his release from the hospital following that episode he has been taking coumadin to prevent clotting problems.

We are more than a week passed his third treatment now, and it seems as though is breathing problems are again increased despite oxygen usage. We have an appointment to see his pulmonologist on Wednesday, but I am now wondering if there may be something significantly wrong which was brought on by the third chemo treatment, or if the chemo itself might be what is causing the increased SOB.

Anybody have any first hand knowledge about this that might be of help?

Thanks,

Gail

Gail I have no personal experience but would definitely call the doctor's weekend line or go to the ER to be sure, it takes so much effort to struggle with breathing and if Hank is like Dave he needs all his strength just to get through this first week after chemo! Best of Luck, we started this journey at similar times so I am keeping up-to-date with your progress although we have no lung/breathing issues.

Deb

I am now wondering...if the chemo itself might be what is causing the increased SOB.

Gail, I agree with the others about calling the onc or considering a trip to the ER, but to answer your initial question, yes, I think so. That's the only explanation we could come up with when I developed SOB in the latter part of my Taxol/Carbo/Avastin program (see about halfway down my profile below). But mine was not continuous, only the first minute or so after standing from a seated position -- after being on my feet for a while, I felt better and could resume walking or whatever I was planning to do. It felt like what I would imagine low blood pressure would feel like, with the blood not being pumped to the brain fast enough when standing up, but that turned out not to be the case.

SOB is an awful, helpless feeling, but I don't have to tell you that. I hope Dave gets it resolved soon. Aloha,

Ned

Hi,

I am glad that you called your oncologist just to be safe. I believe a side effect of some of these chemo agents is actual shortness of breath. My mother is on carbo/alimta/avastin and experiences shortness of breath the first week or so after her chemo treatments. From the research I have done- the shortness of breath should just be transient if it is from the actual chemo and should get better once you finish the treatments.

Best of luck!- Shannon

Hi everyone,

Well, we really don't know for sure what the dramatic increase in SOB is due to.

Since Hanks release from the hospital on April 24th he has been prescribed prednisone (for his breathing issues), in gradually decreasing amounts. For the past few days he has been on only 10mg. daily, as opposed to the 40mg. daily that he was taking just after getting out of the hospital. Today, the doctor put him back on 50mg. daily with a gradual reduction to follow. The doctor says that we should see a dramatic improvement over the next couple of days, if not, Hank will have to go back into the hospital to be evaluated for any other complicating factors.

His blood counts are all good today, including PT reading for Coumadin levels, so the doctor does not think that we are dealing with another blood clot. (That's the good news!!!)

Stay tuned for further developments!!

All the best,

Gail :D

All my heart doctor's have told me that Chemo is hard on the heart and that it CAN cause SOB. Chemo and radiation can do serious damage to the heart as well. It might be worth checking out.

When I had my SOB most of the doctor's insisted it was Lung Related and the truth is, it wasn't, it was HEART related.

Wishing you all the best.

Now that you mention the heart thing Connie, that was Dad's underlying issue at the end.. the cancer didn't take him (that was shrinking) it was the CHF, and maybe it was more of an issue than we thought. The CHF was caused by the chemo, so it all goes back to that in the end anyways!

Hi everybody,

Back in 2002 Hank had a quadruple bypass. He is seen regularly by his cardiologist.

Also, he spent eight days in the hospital from May 26-24th recently, wearing a halter monitor, and seen by a cardiologist during that period. There apparently is no issue with his heart at this time. Thanks for bringing this up though.

Thanks,

Gail

Hi everybody,

Saw Hanks pulmonologist yesterday. He does not believe that we are dealing with CHF or plural effusion here. He says that the pneumonia, and more recently the blood clot have all added to Hanks breathing problems. He did say that the blood clot was not so long ago, and hopefully breathing will improve over time. Meanwhile, Hank is using oxygen all the time. Nebulizer treatments, and breathing exercises. He's feeling pretty down about the breathing situation. The cancer has taken a position on the back burner. He has said this.

The cancer is not so bad, I just wish I could breath. I have suggested that he gets a small portable oxygen concentrator so that he can continue to go out and do things and stay somewhat active. At this point he is refusing. I think he's very embarrassed about it. But I hope that he will reconsider this. My feeling is, if he can continue to stay active and do some of the things he enjoys the better off he'll be. At this point, he's just sitting watching

TV, breathing oxygen, and eating. He's gaining weight also, and that's no good either.

I can't know how he is feeling, but I believe that if I were in his position, especially with the knowledge that his remaining time on the planet may be limited, I would want to get out of the house and try to enjoy myself as much as possible. I wish I could help him.

That's whats so hard about this for me. I want to make it better, and I can't. I get angry at him. I don't let it out at him, but I'm sure he knows how I feel. This really sucks.

Thanks for listening,

Gail

Gail..

i can understand how you feel. My Dad's VA doc actually found the breathing issue with him not the oncologist, and he ordered Oxygen for him. Dad was good a first with it... He had a portable tank that he could pull beside him, and a big honkin thing at home that looked like a big humidifyer that had a long hose on it. (he used this overnight) plus 2 huge tanks in case the power went out.... Anyways, after awhile, it became to much of a burden for him to drag the tank with him, so he stopped using it. He was ok with out it, but probably would of been better with it. The insurance wouldnt pay for one of those smaller tank things that you can carry on your shoulder. I get how Hank probably feels and I understand totally how you feel too. You want him to have the best quality of life possible all while taking care of him self. Its so frustrating.

Hang in there Gail... thoughts and prayers for you

Shelli

Gail,

I'm on Oxygen 24x7. I have the concentrator (and can use up to a 40' tubing) for the house and the small portable oxygen tank for outside/getting around etc. The portable one is about 18" long give or take and mine works on pulse. There is nothing to be ashamed about and you are absolutely correct that it is very important to get up and do things. All you can do is encourage him that he has to do what ever it takes. Also try not to be so hard on yourself-- you can lead a horse to water but can't get it to drink it. Being stubborn is not a badge of courage and just makes matters worse, serves no purpose and is counter-productive. Sounds like Hank would benefit from talking to someone who has been there done that. Hope this helps, prayers for the best.

Rich

Since Hanks release from the hospital on April 24th he has been prescribed prednisone (for his breathing issues), in gradually decreasing amounts. For the past few days he has been on only 10mg. daily, as opposed to the 40mg. daily that he was taking just after getting out of the hospital. Today, the doctor put him back on 50mg. daily with a gradual reduction to follow. The doctor says that we should see a dramatic improvement over the next couple of days, if not, Hank will have to go back into the hospital to be evaluated for any other complicating factors.

Gail:

Dropping my prednisone too quickly definitely caused me an increase in both shortness of breath and supplemental oxygen liters. I had to go back up to 60 mg. 3 x from attempts to get from 40-30, after which I began to drop in 5 mg. increments instead and as of May 5, was down to 2.5 mg. of Prednisone (10 to 5 to 2.5).

Carole