Thank you and need advice

Gracie

Thanks to all who responded in my other post about recent developments with my sister. I see her about once a week and I am going to visit her today. She has been very positive up until this point and I'm starting to see signs that she is very depressed. Is there anything I can do to help her? I usually let her take the lead as far as conversation goes because I don't know if she wants to talk about "it" or not. I would like to go visit and bring some words of encouragement or support. I keep thinking of Lance Armstrong and his struggle and would love to print something out for her that would give her some encouragement. Thanks in advance.

Gracie

Gracie, the best advice I can give you is to "ask your sister" if she wants to talk about it. Most of us survivors just shut down or zip it because we don't want our family or caregivers to know how scared we really are.

Not to mention we know how it hurts our family members to go through this journey with us.

Be open and honest with your sister. It's the only way to deal with things and it's the BEST way to deal with them. Don't waste time trying to figure things out, life is to short for those things! :wink:

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your sister to begin with, keep in strong and let her talk about her journey is need be. She may need someone to share HER fears with as well.

Does she have computer? She might benfit from LCSC as well. We survivors need to vent now and again as well. We get sad and we are VERY afraid of the outcome. She needs all the TLC and Support you have to give. She might find it comforting to talk to another LC Survivor, someone she can compare notes with.

Stay strong.

Thank you Connie. I have suggested things online for her but I think at this stage she is staying away from the internet. Can't say I blame her. I do wish she had a "buddy" though - someone she could talk to in real life who has been through this.

You know, you might want to suggest to her that she can chat with Lung Cancer Survivors via email too! She doesn't have to be on the board to talk to us. She can pick a few people she might want to converse with and do it via email. We also have a Phone Buddy system here at play which is very helpful to many survivors and caregivers.

I use to be a phone buddy and in some ways I still am. Your sister needs to know and hear that this journey is NOT a cake walk but it IS doable and with treatments it can give here years of life. Just look at Rich & Don M, myself and others here at LCSC.

We ALL know what the downside to lung cancer is, but she needs to know there is the OTHER SIDE of lung cancer and many of us DO SURVIVE! :wink:

Gracie

I have been following your posts and I believe your sister doesn't live that far from me.I am on the CT shoreline about 40 minutes down 95 from Rhode Island. I would be happy to be an e-mail buddy and then when she feels comfortable maybe we could meet and chat. You can PM me anytime.

Peace

Janet