Heathers funeral- Celebration of her life

Maryanne

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Heather’s funeral was a celebration of her life. If was full of family and friends who came from all other the states to be there to celebrate her life. I would also like to say that I was so thrilled to see our Kasey and Fred there.

Heather certainly touched so many lives and even though she may have lost the war, she never lost the battle. She was just too tired and knew it was time to join her maker. She was an inspiration to everyone who knew her personally and people who knew of her through articles and interviews. All you have to do is google Heather Saler to see what she accomplished.

Heather did not just sit back and let this disease take control of her, she fought with everything she had. She felt she had to do this as she loved her son Tyler more than life itself and never wanted to leave him without a mom. My heart broke when I saw him at her casket, he just would not leave her.

Heather started the walk for Lungevity back in 2004, which spread all over the states in the last 4 years. She was written up in so many articles, was featured on her local news station and even received a special award during a half time of our basketball team the 76ers. She was interviewed by Glamour and Readers digest.

She wanted to make a difference to let the public be aware that she was a non-smoker who took care of herself and still came down with this monster. This was her passion to get the word out that we need funding for this horrific disease which was always put on the back burner as it’s a "smoker’s disease". No one is immune!!!

Her funeral had a big screen monitor with a slideshow of pictures of Heather as a little girl growing up with her and brother, mom and dad. It included all walks of her young life with the birth of her son, Tyler to her marriage to her beloved Brad along with pictures of all her family and friends and her Lungevity walk. .

Heather and her family attended the church where her celebration of life was held and the minister knew her and spoke beautiful words about her.

The eulogies spoken were heart warming. Joel spoke briefly just to let her know what an inspiration she was to him.

Heather was a beautiful young lady whose life was cut much too short. But what she did with it was tremendous and will always remain embedded in our heart of hearts. I know her legacy will live on through all of us she touched and so many people she never even knew she had an impact on.

She was a treasure and I am honored to have known her and helped out with her Lungevity walk, which has blossom all over. This year will be a special one as it will be a tribute to her.

Even though Heather had a quite and almost introverted disposition about her, she became a woman with a mission. This became her passion that blossomed and her enthusiasm became contagious.

During the time she was diagnosed she met her Brad and they fell in love. Even though he knew of her disease he chose to marry her cherish her and take care of her. I know his love for her and her love for him and her son is what motivated her which gave her the will to keep fighting. How blessed they both were to have each other. I remember her post on LCHEP when he proposed to her, she was surprised and so happy.

Please people out there, if your state does not have a walk for Lung Cancer, do everything you can to change that. Heather started this we must finish this and find a cure.

Heather Ann “Hebbie” Saler

September 11, 1969- May 9, 2008- age 38

Afterglow: This was on her prayer card,

I’d like the memory of me to he a happy one.

I’d like to leave an afterglow of smiles when life is done.,

I’d like to leave an echo whispering softly down the ways,

of happy times and laughing times and bright and sunny days.

I’d like the tears of those who grieve to dry before the sun,

happy memories that I leave when life is done.

Rest in peace dear Heather, heaven has received a beautiful gift.

I will miss you my friend, but you will always live on in the hearts of everyone you touched

Maryanne