Lung Cancer Surivor going on 2 years (UPDATE)

karenk

I really don't know where to start. I just kept getting sick and had namonia an ear infection and sinusitis all at one time. My doctor suggested I get an x-ray because I was a smoker. After the x-ray I went to see my doctor and she told me there was a spot on my lung. I thought I was going to get sick in her office. I was 36 and all I could think of was my son who was born a year ago. After getting test after test and finally a pet ct scan my doctor told me it came back postive for cancer. Right a way I went and I had surgery after 9 hours of surgery the surgeon removed my upper right lobe and a few ribs. It was stage II non-small cell lung cancer. The doctors told me they got it all and we were waiting on the results of my lymph nodes. After about a week and a half my doctor called with the results and my lymph nodes were NEGATIVE.... I cryed, after I heard the news and my family cryed as well. I still had to go through Chemo and Radiation for precaution. Now I am cancer free and living my life as full as I can and thanking god everyday that I am still here and I can be with my son and my husband.

I have my next ct scan scheduled in Sept. My last scan was in February and all was clear. My oncologist told me it was time to get the scans every 6 months.

UPDATE: My 6 month scan and checkup..Aug. 27th had my CT scan with contrast. Went to see my doctor on Aug. 29th. I received very good news.......Everything looks great and even looks better than my last scan 6 mos ago. Now I do NOT have to get the scans with the contrast. I am very very happy about that. September 18th is my annivsary for being cancer free for 2 yrs!!! I definatleywill be celebrating that day. WooHoo!

Welcome to the group, Karen. I'll bet you're really glad you went through treatment in spite of the clear lymph nodes and the statement that they "got it all." Good for you, and good for your doctors. Many people after surgery are told they don't need chemo, then they come to regret it a couple of years down the road.

You may be a newbie to this group, but you're definitely not a newbie to cancer, so please feel free to jump in with your comments whenever you like. Aloha,

Ned

Thank you so much for welcoming me. And yes I am glad they suggested I do the treatments. It was a rough ride but I made it through.

Your dog is so cute. I love dogs I have 2. I had three but unfortuanatly she got hit by a car and didn't make it. I thought being dianosed with cancer was hard. This was harder for me. Take care and I am glad to see your doing well.

Dear Karen,

You are warmly welcomed here (not for the reason for your finding us, of course) but we are glad that your lung cancer was at an early stage.

Having the chemo/radiation as an added precaution even though the lymph nodes were negative was, I believe, a good thing.

Please let us know more about you, as the people here are all very supportive.

Wishing you and your family continued blessings, and many joys in your lives,

Barbara

Welcome Karen. Glad you found us and also glad to hear you have joined the survivors!!

When is your scan due for follow up? Keep us posted.

Donna G

Welcome Karen,

That certainly was GREAT news about the Lymph Nodes. I rememeber the feeling when my husbands doctor called him at 10:30 on a Sunday night on his cell phone to tell him his Lymph nodes were negative. We were elated so I know how you feel.

Welcome here glad you found us.

Enjoy your little boy.

Maryanne :wink:

Hi, I am glad to hear about negative lymph nodes on your end as well. I haven't had much of a chance to look real well on the website. My son is just about 3 and never any time. Believe me I am enjoying every minute. It's funny when I saw the picture at the bottom with your husband and daughter. I bought a sweatshirt from him last yr at the walk. I am looking forward to the walk this year. I have alot more people who want to walk. I do hope to see you guys there again. I am going to look into volunteer. Take care. Hope to talk to you soon.