1st posting but have been reading for some time

Spanky

Hi, my name's Chris(aka Spanky) and although this is my first post, I have been reading all the posts probably for 1-2 months now, I guess you could say I was "lurking". :oops: Anyhow I can remember how I first felt after my mom was diagnosed with SCLC with mets to the brain; all of us kids went with her to get the results from the bronco & the c-scan. We all felt so helpless & sick, :shock: I could only imagine what my poor mom was feeling. I remember coming back home after staying with her for awhile, and just searching & searching for something, anything on the internet that could provide me with some knowledge on this disease, and it seems every time I found something, I almost wish I hadn't, I'm guessing it's because of the harsh reality of it all. But then I found this message board. I just want to thank you guys as you have unknowingly provided me with alot of hope, courage & inspiration while dealing with this and I only hope that maybe someday I can do the same for you.

As far as my mom's current condition, I guess I should count my blessings. To date she's had 2 rounds of chemo & I can't believe how much better her breathing is & how much easier swallowing is for her. The onc said he was quite impressed how much the chemo had shrunk the tumours in her chest & aside from feeling a little nauseated once in awhile and some radiation burns, shes doing pretty well, all things considered.

I should get going now as I'm at work, but I just wanted to say how great this message board is, and more importantly how supportive everyone is to each other!

Hi Chris.

You are right when you say how great this message board is, and how supportive all it's participants are. I was like you at first - lurking - until I realized that even though I did not "know" these people, it was like I had known them all my life; it feels as though who ever is answering the question or responding to the concern is sitting right beside me holding my hand - it's a very comforting place this message board. I'm sorry to hear about your mom, but am pleased she is responding well to the treatments, and I'm certain that you and your mother will find this place as comforting and informative as I have. Keep in touch,

David P.

Thanks guys! It's comforting to know that there is always someone to talk to that can relate to what your going through as I feel this makes a big difference in ones attitude. I must admit that I'm really glad I finally posted as I don't feel like I'm on the outside looking in anymore. :wink:

Hi Spanky,

Like everyone else, I sure am sorry you have to be here. I also "lurked" before I got the courage to actually post and I guess its not an unusual thing because a lot of people seem to have done the same thing. I find anything that makes it real scares me. I spent the first 2 months telling myself that I WOULD wake up. Being supportive for your Mom means more to her than she can ever begin to tell you - I am sure of this! The day my husband was scheduled to have his biopsy I felt like I simply couldn't put one foot in front of the other, I didn't have a clue how I was going to actually get into the car to go to the hospital. I hadn't asked anyone to come with us and I was determined that my kids should not have to shoulder one single bit of responsibility for any of this. In my defense I just wanted to protect them from the whole thing. While I was packing up things for the hospital my newly married 21 year old son walked in and announced he was coming with us and we better not say no. I still can't put into words how relieved I was to see him or the emotions I went through when I realized that he wanted and needed to be there for us. Your Mom must feel much the same way. I'm glad to hear she is responding well to the chemo. Keep on posting!

Regarding how I got the nickname "Spanky", and I'll warn you now, it's pretty boring compared to what most people think...It has to do with the Little Rascals and a face that "Buckwheat" used to make....His eyes would get really big and well it's hard to explain but if you take the eyes from the first emoticon & the mouth from the second one :shock::o , that should pretty much give you the idea. Anyhow my husband & I were in a restaurant one day & ordered hamburgers. When the hamburgers came they were huge, i couldn't believe the size of them, and thats when I unknowingly made that face. However, problem is my husband thought that it was Spanky from the Little Rascals that made that face, and while technically my nickname should've been Buckwheat, it was Spanky that stuck with me from that day on! Pretty boring eh? I have people telling me that all the time after I tell them the story, I guess it's not quite what they imagined.

P.S. Thanks again, you guys are the best!!!!