Hank is back in the hospital again.

Hi everybody,

Well, here we go again. We were so hopeful that we had turned a corner in Hank's problems breathing the other day. He had such a good day on Sunday, and then began to have problems again. We saw his ocologist today and his blood oxygen level even while using oxygen is much to low, so he was admitted to the hospital.

I actually am hoping that they find a problem of some kind that can explain this, and that there is something that we can do about it. Otherwise, I don't know if he can continue to fight this fight. He was scheduled for chemo this Friday, but obviously that is not going to happen now.

I am relieved that he is in the hospital, because there is nothing that I can do to help him.

When he is here, and he can't breathe I feel so helpless and frightened.

I am beginning to lose hope that we can carry on this fight for any extended period of time.

I am feeling very lonely and sad.

Gail

Sorry to hear that Gail.

If he is having the breathing problems the best place to be is in the hospital were he can get immediate care.

Please don't lose hope.

Praying that things turn around for the good soon.

Denise

Dear Gail,

I am so sorry to know that Hank is in the hospital, but, on the other hand, it really is the better place to be when trying to locate the cause of the problem.

Breathing problems are at the top of the list as medical dilemmas go. It is basic to quality of life.

But, you know all of this, and this is a disturbing time for you. I would encourage you to keep hope alive because, if they find the cause, you and Hank can continue to wade through to moving Hank forward in his fight.

I think of you often, Gail. You and Hank are in my daily prayers. Here's hoping that the doctors find a resolution to Hank's breathing issues, please God.

We are rooting for a good result.

Barbara

Gail,

I'm so sorry to hear about the breathing issues. I really understand because breathing was always a fight for my husband. It happens that way for some lung cancer patients and unless you witness this constant struggle, you can't understand how devastating it is for them. I too understand the relief you have with him being in the hospital. It's frightening and overwhelming to try and deal with this at home, on your own. There were times where I felt way over my head being the caregiver when Tony would go into crisis breathing mode.

I hope they do discover a way to make it better, but sometimes there are no answers or things get really complicated with many factors mingling to make it so bad. Let's hope for something simple!

Keep us posted and you both will be in my thoughts.

Welthy

Hi Gail. I am so sorry to hear of this latest development. But you are right, I am sure you are somewhat relieved that Hank is back in the hospital where they can keep an eye on him and even having a bit of worry taken off your shoulders is good. I am very hopeful they can help him turn this corner. Take care of yourself and my constant hope and prayers are with you guys

Sandra

Hi Gail, am so sorry to hear that the SOB has gotten so much worse, that Sunday trip just sounded so good for the two of you. The hospital is a good place for him right now and I pray they find a solution but you take care of you now while he is getting such great care. Do not give up, you need those positive thoughts for yourself and for Hank. My prayers and thoughts are with you and I will look for your update...

Deb

Hi friends,

Thanks for your replies. I am actually happy to tell that Hank does have Pneumonia in both lungs. I say I'm happy because at least now we know what has caused this extreme SOB.

Hopefully they will clear it up completely and will be breathing better soon.

I could not image being happy to hear this news, but I am! :D

Hank is also in better spirits now. A funny story.... today, as I was getting ready to leave him in his room at the hospital, I had my back to him. And suddenly, I mooned him!

He burst into laughter and fits of intense coughing. The nurse ran into the room, (luckily the mooning was over! :D ) The nurse was very concerned, Hank was crimson red, laughing and coughing. The nurse said what's wrong? what's wrong? I said, oh I just told him a joke. Hank told her that I had mooned him! It was really funny, and it lightened up the day for us.

Another thing, that I need to pass on, that most of you are, or should be aware of. I have learned that being your own advocate in this situation is VERY important.

When we were at the doctor's office yesterday, the doctor measured Hank's blood oxygen level while he was sitting down, breathing oxygen. It was 94% not too bad.

He listened to Hank's lungs, did not hear any unusual sounds. The doctor said he was going to send Hank home on an increased dosage of Prednisone, and that we should come back to the office on Friday, (his scheduled chemo date), to be rechecked, and if he was ok he would have the chemo. I said no. I told the doctor to have Hank walk around a little bit. He did, and his oxygen level was an unaccepable 74%. The doctor then said, you're going to the hospital buddy. I still have a lot of faith in this doctor, I'm sure he's very good, but like I said, you have to be your own advocate and open your mouth. Otherwise, things can wrong.

I hope to have good news to report to you over the next few days.

Enjoy the weekend!

Gail

It does sound funny to be happy for the pneumonia diagnosis, but to know it isn't the cancer causing the s.o.b. is far less worrisome. :D

Now, to get Hank back to better health, and you can rest easier.

Make sure you get some rest, as well, Gail

Keeping positive,

Barbara

Gail,

Hey-hey! Glad to hear that it is something that has an easy fix. Crazy to think that but understand completely. I'm a little shocked that it isn't SOP to test his blood/ox levels sitting and after walking. Good for you for being on the ball -- you're a great caretaker! Now keep that butt covered and get some rest too.

Best wishes for some quick ease in his breathing.

Welthy

Good to hear is nothing a little laughing can not cure!!!! :wink: I have always said it is best to be an advocate responsibly and thoroughly. You have 1 person to take care of and the doctor has many more than we do so.......

and now for something completely different are ;

Blue Moon

You saw me standing alone

Without a dream in my heart

Without a love of my own

Blue Moon

You know just what I was there for

You heard me saying a prayer for

Someone I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me

The only one my arms will hold

I heard somebody whisper please adore me

And when I looked to the Moon it turned to gold

Blue Moon

Now I'm no longer alone

Without a love of my own

And then there suddenly appeared before me

The only one my arms will ever hold

I heard somebody whisper please adore me

And when I looked the Moon had turned to gold

Blue moon

Now I'm no longer alone

Without a love of my own

Blue moon

Now I'm no longer alone

Without a love of my own

Hi, I'm so sorry to learn that Hank's condition has worsened; on the other hand, it's great news that he's in the hospital since they usually take a multi-pronged approach plus have all the equipment at hand and immediate test results.

As to Hank's ups and downs, I'm afraid that may go on forever... certainly feels like forever to me, but the great news about that is that no matter how ill you may feel, when that "one good day" comes along, you wake with a smile on your face that never goes away all day (even if you lose your shirt in Atlantic City! ) plus you know that no matter how bad things may get, there is always that "one good day" down the track to look forward to.

My thoughts and hopes are with you both. The best of luck to you.

Carole

PS Too often our caregivers become so involved in caring for us that they forget to care for themselves (45% of all caregivers predecease their patients). In other words, don't forget to try to get some rest yourself wihle he's in the hospital so as to be able to take care of him when he gets home (and yes, I'm being masterful! :D).