She's leaving us

Gracie

My sister is in a Boston hospital and has been getting WBR for a few days but it doesn't seem to be helping and she is worse. She can't swallow at all and hasn't eaten in a couple of days. She sleeps most of the day and the Dr. said if she doesn't start responding better to treatment he would take her off radiation. He said they could try chemo through a catheter into the brain. That sounds horrible. I know she is slipping away and I can't get over how quickly this has happened. Her son is supposed to get married in 2 weeks and they are talking about calling the wedding off. My heart is in pieces right now.

Thanks for letting me vent here.

Gracie

My husband had the port put in his brain, it is called the omaaya resevoir, and it worked.I am not sure if it is the same type but it really isn't as bad as it sounds.

He was so sick when they put that in, I mean really sick. Sleeping all the time, vomitting and also a inpatient in the hospital. They gave him blood transfusion, vitamins though and IV etc. and got him stable enough to go through surgery. He did amazingly well then received 4 treatments of methotraxate (chemo)through that port. I know this was chemo going to his spinal fluid however, I would think this is similar. This was for the diagnosis of menengial carcinomatous. Don't give up and keep on fighting. Believe me, my husband has been so sick and we thought, at times, that he would never pull through and is here today, 9 months later, and his CEA level is back almost to normal and he gets better everyday. Hang in there!Its a battle that she can win. Remember that!

You need to ask if the problems are related to the radiation or cancer progression. My dad just finished two weeks of radiation. He is having problems swallowing so cannot eat solid foods. Is your sister at home or the hospital? If at home, she needs to get IV fluids. My dad had an appt. with the nurse practitioner at the oncologist's office yesterday to go over his chemo treatment that is starting on Tuesday... She immediately recognized that my dad was dehydrated. My dad was given 2 1/2 hours worth of IV fluids yesterday. He has to go in for more tomorrow.

Kristi

Hi Gracie,

I am so, so sorry things are not going well.

We also are at the moment in crisis here as well. Hank is also in the hospital.

So, I understand exactly how you feel. I am hoping that they find a way to help your Sis,

and wishing for the best possible outcome.

All the best,

Gail

Hi Gracie. I am sorry to hear your latest news. You, your sister and your family have been through so much in such a short time. Never give up hope though, I saw some inspirational posts here that she can get through this too...whisper to her to keep fighting! Take care you are in my prayers. Sandra

thinking about you Gracie...

Dad had times like these too. we would think that we would loose him in the next few hours and in the morning, a complete turn around. Hopefully you will get this with your sister. It can happen!!! stay positive.

Shelli

I just received an e-mail from Gracie. Her sister Carol died yesterday, May 27.

To quote from Gracie -

"I just wanted you to know that Carol passed away yesterday. I

can't get onto the board, so if you want to, you can relay that to the

group, or not. She fought hard but the damned disease won."

I am crying as I am writing this. I never met Gracie or Carol - but we have been e-mailing and they have been in my thoughts daily. Gracie is such a caring, concerned sister and Carol's son was to be married next week. I never thought she wouldn't make it.

I hate this.

I am so sorry to hear this news. I was so hoping that she would pull through this. My heart is breaking for you Gracie. My deepest condolences to you and your family. :cry:

Denise