Finally results from my back pain saga!

StrahDawg

Well for those of you who haven't been following my crazy back pain saga let me give a brief refresher. First back in Jan. I was carrying a box and slipped and wrenched my back, pain was pretty much gone after about a week. Well 2 months ago I was working out and did it again and coincidentally during that time was my 6mo. check up. Went in Doc. says scans clear as far as he can see and will follow up again in 6 months. Following Tues. get call suspicious spot on lower spine wants mri. Go for mri still suspicios wants pet. Go for pet results neg. other than tiny spot in node near stomach not concerned says probably just viral. Now wants bone biopsy to confirm 100% that not a met. Went for biopsy on 5/15 finally get call yesterday with results at 5 min. to 5:00pm. and guess what it is? Yep you guessed it a flippin met! I can't believe it what a way to start the holiday weekend. Now he says they will have answer on Tues.of what the treatment plan will be. He said possibly surgery or radiation or maybe a combo of the two. He also wanted to talk to the pulmonologist about the "not to concerned node near my stomach" and see if anything has to be done there. So now I guess I'll just wait to Tues. I'm really shocked, dissappointed and angry that this has now came back after 3 years. especially since we just had a new baby in Dec.and I think my Onc. is just as surprised. If anyone has had a met. like this especially in there lower back after a few years please let me know what I can expect. Thanks again for listening and thank God we have this place and each other to share these great and not so wonderful stories with.

Wow, I'm totally shocked too! I saw your heading and was getting ready to write "see, I told you it was just the old injury" but now I don't have anything brilliant to say. So it's an adenocarcinoma, same as your lung cancer in 2004? If so, there must have been some cells floating in the bloodstream that the Taxol, Carbo, and Tarceva didn't get. Here's a wild theory -- I wonder if the injury to that part of the spine somehow allowed the met to get established there??

I think you'll do fine once again. Aloha,

Ned

So very sorry to read this news. Thank God for your dr. though. wanting to be 100%

about what was really going on. Hate to think what might have been if he/she had not

be so persistant in doing all possible test. Please keep us posted on treatment plans.

Continued prayers for all of us.

So sorry to hear this news. I was hoping it would be nothing. Well I hope they will get treatment started right away and get you back to clear scan once again. Praying for good treatment results.

Denise

I know this news has you reeling , but wait until Tuesday and you meet with your doctor again. See what the game plan is and give yourself time to accept the latest news. It's hard and being a new dad must make it double hard. I'm wishing I could say or do something magical and to make it all go away. There is one thing that I promise you I will do and that is pray. Hang in there and please keep us updated.

Hugs,

Sue

i am so sorry that your news wasn't good - I have been following your story and was convinced it was just a bad back.. It is a blessing that your doctor was persistent and that he got this one early - I am praying for you that whatever treatment you decide on it works beautifully.

Try to enjoy the weekend - keep us posted.

peace - Janet

Oh crap!!! I have definitely been following your story. It was some of your earlier posts that got me worried about my back. I thought I had just pulled something as well. Mine was from NED to spine mets in a few months...but 3 years...that is flippin' unbelievable and I will bet your onc was shocked. I have a significant appreciation for how you must be feeling and it will take you a number of days to recover from the shock...but then you will get into fighting mode and a treatment plan. My plan is radiation (next week) and chemo (I am guessing Alitma) after that. I am in terrible pain so I pray you are not as well. I am told the radiation should help with that. So I hope a plan falls into place for you quickly and that all goes well. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your young family.

Sandra

I'm very sorry to hear this news. And I hate that you got the call right at the start of the holiday weekend and have to wait until Tuesday to see what's going to be done for you.

I got my news about my initial CT scan results right before Memorial Day weekend, and had to wait until Tuesday after the holiday to see the surgeon, so I do know something about agonizing all thru a long weekend, and I sure do feel for you there.

I hope though that a solid plan is presented for you soon, and you can be on your way to feeling better really soon.

Cindy

Strah Dawg: This is the crap we all dread--for you, each other, ourselves. I'm so sorry and although it puts my whining (yesterday) into perspective, it also helps me understand myself. In the very beginning of my journey, my thoracic surgeon described that microscopic nodes can be bouncing around undetected until they finally show themselves somewhere in some manner. I've been trying to digest the concept of micrometastisis for weeks now since Dr West explained it more fully and my oncologist confirmed that's what they worry about with me. It's hard to wrap your head around it because it leaves no room for peace of mind.

I can only imagine your anger and frustration after three good years. All we can do is be grateful for doctors who listen, in your case I'm sure to your pain, and leave no stone unturned. Back in the seventies, my Dad's cancer had metastisized to the spine to an inoperable stage because no one gave validity to his constant complaints of back pain.

Take what comfort and joy you can from your wife and new baby. You can hope to be around for years to enjoy their company. This is not a death sentence today. Look around you at the survivors.

Judy in Key West

Steve-

I am so sorry its a met. That just sucks!!! I have mets to my lower spine and rt hip but those were found upon my original diagnosis. Had several treatments with Zometa and they are much better. Doc says will do radiation if they ever get bad but I really only have periodic pain from them.

I can only imagine how you are feeling but you have to put your boxing gloves back on. You beat this thing once - you can do it again.

Your appointment is Tuesday?? So is mine - will be looking for you at Taussig - maybe we will run into each other!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear those results. But like other people have said you have a very thereow(sp?) doctor.

Keep us posted on what they plan for a treatment. Know you will get through this. Its amazing what we can endure when we have too, or have no choice.

Good luck to you and I pray the new treantment will wiork.

I know how scared you must be. expecially having a new baby! Her dad will be around to watch her grow up. Just keep that positive atititude!

Maryanne

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear those results. But like other people have said you have a very thereow doctor.

Keep us posted on what they plan for a treatment. Know you will get through this. Its amazing what we can endure when we have too, or have no choice.

Good luck to you and P pray the new treantment will wiork.

Maryanne

Well pooh. I'm sorry this wasn't the news you were hoping for. It is a sucky way to start the weekend. Radiation can take care of it pretty quickly. Mom did three weeks of radiation for her spine mets. It gave her significant and quick relief from her back pain, so I hope you will get the same releif.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Susan

Steve,

To put it mildly - it SUCKS that it's a met. Hoping however they decide to treat it, it blasts it to kingdom come! As Susan said - radiation can take care of bone mets pretty speedy - my mom had it for mets in her sternum and it helped with the pain quickly. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Hugs,

Lisa

Wow! Thank You!, Thank You!, Thank You! all so much for your support this was the first time I was able to check the site all weekend and I coudn't believe all the responses. It really makes me feel great to hear from all of you. Well now that I've had a few day's to let it sink in I'm ready to take this thing on again and beat it like I did last time! I'm still very surprised and angry about it but I plan on using all that anger to destroy this garbage once and for good this time! I'm very happy that the Radiologist caught this but I'm a little dissappointed in my Oncologist and the way he's handled thing's. For the last 3 years when I would come in for my 6mo. check up it basically consisted of blood work, chest x-ray and chest ct-scan. This past check up was the first time I have had a chest, pelvis ct-scan and I'm now wondering why? Especially after reading that spine mets are pretty common. Before they did the spine biopsy the surgeon asked if I went to another hospital because he was looking for scans to compare and he had none. I know if it was going to come back it would come back regardless but if I never had the back pain and we would of just done the regular chest x-ray and chest ct this garbage would still be growing for another 6 months or longer. When some of you go in for your check-up's what do they do? Please let me know and thank's again for your support. When I hear from them today on what treatment options they came up with I will let you know.

Steve-

I get a chest/abdomen CAT scan every 9 weeks and also a pelvic/hip CAT scan at the same time. Thats because, in my case, they found a met in my hip and my spine during my original PET scan. They will probably start doing those on you more often, also.

Will be at Taussig today for chemo - maybe we will run into each other!!

Hugs =- Patti B

Steve-

Hope its good news. I have Mekhail, also. Used to have Kalmadi who I adored but he left for Texas. Mekhail is just such a busy guy - he really doesn't spend the time with ptients that Kalmadi did. But he is the head of the Lung Oncology Dept. so I guess thats a good thing.........you will probably meet his new resident fellow Dr. Golsyhan soon. I like him ALOT!!!

Will be waiting to see what they plan to do - good luck!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Steve - first off I am so very sorry that you got such crappy news (if we didn't expect it I am pretty certain you didn't expect it). I just want you to know that we are all in the stands rooting for you and believing this is just a temporary set back on your continued journey to NED once again. There is no doubt about it - this sucks and I sure wish I had just the right words to make all the worry disappear; sadly, you and I both know that no such words exist but I truly do believe that you will be sending us a "good news" update very soon (met blasted to kingdom come would be a good title!) Keep us posted on your upcoming treatments...until then I will keep you in my thoughts.

Linda

Well I talked with my Onc. yesterday and actually just got home from seeing the Radiation Onc. and getting some new tattoo's for the radiation machine. I start tomorrow with 10 straight day's of radiation to hopefully blast this sucker into oblivion. They both sounded positive that the radiation should do the trick and after a short recovery re-scan and see what we have. They said they talked also with my thoracic surgeon about the node near my stomach and they all agreed at this point it is to small to worry about it and would monitor that area as well. So all in all pretty good news just getting my game face back on and getting ready to kick this thing's butt once and for good! Thank's again for all the support and kind words.