Received my perma cath today

mariannebreathes

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking alot since I am pretty new to the boards and my DX as well.

Originally I had a PICC line in- but I didn't have insurance to cover the maintenance of it

so they repossessed it LOL . I was approved for medical assistance last week (thank God) and today they installed a port. The procedure was a breeze and I dont' remember a thing but now it hurts pretty bad. Am I just being a baby or did the Dr. downplay the amount of "discomfort" I would feel? I took two percocets and I rarely need to take more than one for anything and it's kind of throbbing but manageable if I don't "move" my arm or walk too fast.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marianne

Hi Marianne. I don't have any advice on a PIC line...but I do wish you the best with your chemo. You are young and I am betting you will sail through the treatments. Drink tons of water...even if you can't eat...just drink lots. Take care

Sandra

Hi, Marianne:

My port (left side) caused very little discomfort as long as I didn't touch it, mainly some soreness around the left shoulder for about a week when moving my arm up and down. The shoulder harness in the car was quite irritating, so when on the driver's side I routed the strap under my arm to avoid the port. I wonder if a warm compress or hot water bottle (not too hot!) would help. That felt really good on my thoracotomy incision, but you'd better check with the doc's office before doing that.

I like your photo! Aloha,

Ned

Thanks,

at least it sounds like my pain is normal. My vascular surgeon just did not tell me these things.

Like, I would be sore for more than a day.

In fact he was running 4 hours late and was rather rushed. I certainly didn't want to distract him!

In fact, since he only gave me 14 pain pills (2 x every 4 hrs) I figured it wouldn't be that big a deal. But on the bright side, they put my port on the right side so no seatbelt problems. And I am left handed so that is a blessing too !

:)

Hi Marianne,

Welcome! I am a caregiver, not a patient, but your treatment plan is very similar to my mom's (her profile is below). I can provide some encouragement to say, my mom did not get a port (it was never offered) and with the last couple of rounds of chemo, I wished she'd had one. Even drawing blood for her prelim blood work was a production with lots of pricks and she blew a vein once, which was very painful and traumatic. Anyhow, bottom line, I'm sorry your going through the pain now but want to tell you - it's worth it! :)

And I love you your picture. You're beautiful!

Love,

Nicole

My dad just had his port placed on Fri., May 23rd. He had his port placed in radiology. Some people have their ports placed by a surgeon and others at Intervention Radiology. My dad was placed at IR. Dad never complained about the pain but he is on 60 mg or more of morphine a day for pain caused by bone mets. My mom has her port placed on Wed., June 4th at IR.

Kristi

Marianne: I had my port put in seven months ago. Frankly, I've always thought it was a pain. No pun intended since it's more a nuisance than painful. It's irritating and irritated by a bra strap and I often complain when it feels "raised" to the touch. Other times it seem to lay nice and flat and relaxed. I don't know for beans about this thing but I know the alternative, getting a line in a vein by needle every time, can have pretty unpleasant consequences.

Judy in Key West

Marianne,

I had my first port done right after I had lung surgery so I was unable to wear a bra and it made the incision quite painful.

I just had a new port put in (I had the original taken about about 2 years ago) and wearing a bra day and night for about a week made me so much more comfortable. Maybe that would help you with the pain.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Wendy

Thanks for the bra suggestion about the bra- because that has really helped-

and to all of you that replied........I was just being a baby....by the time I woke up this mornining- less than 48 hours later : no pain! Just a bit sore.

Wether it will be a source of irritation -----that is too soon to tell. But you are all RIGHT- it's definitely better than the alternative!

Blessings to all yall

Marianne

Hi Marianne,

Glad to hear that things are better. My Dad had a port put in right away, at my urging, as I knew to well what lied ahead (lots of needle pokes:( He was so glad that he did.

a little suggestion(s) if I may,.. there are creams that you can get to rub over your port site before you get chemo to help "lessen" the pain associatted with accessing it. Not that its that painful. Dad never wanted to bother with the cream.. such a toughy! Also, we found that if they are having a hard time accessing it (cant get a return) that it helps to have them have you lie back(flat as possible) That always seemed to work in Dad's case! I am sure that differnt things work for differnt people, but I just wanted to share!

Shelli