Dad was diagnosed May 7

My dad was diagnosed May 7 with stage 4 lung cancer. He had been feeling sick since Easter. He was complaining of a pain in his right side. Also when he would talk he would cough and start losing his voice. At first he thought he had pulled a muscle in his side, and it was also allergies. After awhile things got worse. He finally made a doctors appointment and they gave him an inhaler and did bloodwork. His bloodwork came back as having an infection so they did a chest Xray and a ct scan. Spots were on his liver, lung, and sternum. They did a biopsy on the spot on his liver and it showed cancer. They scheduled him to start chemo in a week. Before they were to start the chemo they did a ct scan on his brain. The doctor said it was just routine and they had no reason to believe there was anything there. However the was a spot on his cerebelum. Now instead of starting chemo he has been having radiation done on the spot on his brian. He is scheduled to start chemo on the 9th of June. He is having a hard time eating and has been in the hospital once after his 3rd treatment for dehydration and sweeling of the brain. He is home now and feeling ok. Today he had his 7th treatment. Through all of this my fiancee and I decided to get married sooner than we expected for fear of something happening to him. We are getting married June 14 in our backyard. I really hope that after his first chemo treatment he'll be able to make it. :(

Lillee, I am so sorry to hear about your dad. Many people who post here will tell you that they tolerated chemo quite well. Many remain quite active during their treatment regimens.

My husband has had both Carboplatin/VP-16 and Hycamptin (topotecan). During both of these regimens, he worked full time, except for chemo days. Right now, he is on Gemzar. Fatigue generally sets in 3-4 days after his treatment. But every person will react a bit differently.

Felicitations to you on your upcoming wedding.

Lynn

Welcome to the site Lillee. I'm sorry you have a need to be here. My husband also has stage IV lung cancer and is now going through radiation and is scheduled for his 6th round of chemo on Monday. Other then being a little tired and achy he also has not missed any work through this so far.

Praying that your father will tolerate treatment well and be walking you down the aisle.

Denise

I can relate to your story in many ways. Congrats on your upcoming marriage!

My parents were both just diagnosed with lung cancer. My dad has small cell lung cancer and my mom has non small cell lung cancer. My dad has already begun his treatment. He had 10 radiation treatments and just had his first round of chemo this past week. My mom starts her chemo on June 16th. Their oldest granddaughter is getting married on June 14th. I am really worried that my dad is not going to be able to attend the wedding. Mom didn't want to start any treatments until after the wedding. Dad's cancer is more aggressive than Mom's.

Kristi

Lillie,

My Mom was also diagnosed w/ Stage IV adenocarcinoma in March. She is so young and so healthy so iit was really hard to deal with. At first I was doom and gloom and could think nothing but negative thoughts. I realize now (after reading about people on this site and others) that miracles happen and she may live a lot longer than I thought. (My mom met a lady the other day that has lived 9 years after being diagnosed w/ stage IV) She has tolerated chemo very well so far. I hope that your father starts to feel better soon and try to stay positive! Best of luck with the wedding

Welcome Lillee. You can see already that there are many supportive knowledgeable folks here to help. So sorry you need to be here. I hope things start to turn around soon for your dad. Congrats on your upcoming wedding, something positive to focus on during this difficult time. Take care

Sandra