newly dx-48 year old mom with stage 4 nsclc with mets

ellie47

Just finding the energy to reach out. I hve done whole brain raditation, lower pelvis radiation, and have begun chemo. I go back for my second round on 6/5-have had a hard time with my stomach and appetite. I am receiving taxotre and carboplatin. I am going to try taxitol this time and see if I tolerate it better.

I am looking forward to connecting with others who are going through the same thing-ellie47

Hi, Ellie, welcome to the group. I had Taxol/Carboplatin plus Avastin in late 2006 to early 2007. Eating was a problem for me for most of the 4 months I was on that program, then improved after I went on Avastin alone. It's very understandable that fatigue would be an issue for you too, since you've recently had radiation. When will you be getting a scan to check your response to treatment?

Aloha,

Ned

Welcome Ellie-

Sorry you need to be here but you have found a wonderful site with lots of caring people.

The carbo/taxol combination is hard on a lot of people - that horrid metallic taste in your mouth makes eating not very desirable. Hopefully, you will soon be able to start onsomething that is more tolerable.

Please let us know if you need anything and come here often, to post, vent, cry, whatever you need - we certainly understand!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Welcome Ellie. So sorry you had to find us. Good for you for reaching out on this site. It took me a long time to do that. I lurked for awhile. But glad you did, and you will find lots of hope here. Post any question here and it will be answered. I hope your treatments start to get easier. Do whatever you can to get through them and fight hard! Take care

Sandra

Hello Ellie,

Welcome to a wonderful site. So very sorry that you are experiencing problems with the chemo regimen.

My husband is currently on Carboplatin/taxol/Avastin and he finds eating a bit of a problem. I think it is the carboplatin (taste buds affected), and one of his teeth seems to be "irritated" for the want of a better word. He can't have it removed due to possible bleeding issues with the Avastin.

You will find support, information, and a group of very warm and understanding people here. I know that I have, and am feeling so much better in spirit.

I try pass that feeling along to Bill, who has never been "online" here. He receives the support via proxy (my recounting). :)

Please keep visiting and/or posting. You are not alone.

Barbara

Hi Ellie - I just wanted to say welcome. You have found a wonderful site with great people. You can look at my profile and see that we have age and stage in common. Here I am 18 months later and NED! I pray for the same for you.

Peace

Janet

Ellie,

Take comfort in Janet's message. I noticed you were only 48 and a mom. When I am tempted to feel sorry for myself, I think of younger women with children who don't always have the luxury of just laying down and whining. Hang tough and hang around this site, you'll see plenty of examples of tough men and women fighting this fight.

Judy in Key West

Hi Ellie

I know when I was taking that chemo I used plastic silverware, never drinked out of cans and cream of chicken, tea , jello & my T.V. was my whole day. Just hang there chemo is rough but just like everyone here you are stronger than it !!!