Question for those celebrating...

KatieB

Hi Katie ... I had great plans of dinner out with the family and maybe a sit around the fire pit (complete with S'mores and a glass of wine) after my good results on Friday; however, believe it or not, after sharing the news with my kids (I don't ever tell them I am going for a test as no sense in them worrying about results) and hubby we ended up ordering in dinner and I was fast asleep by 9 o'clock. I was thoroughly exhausted as I hadn't slept much the previous few nights. Truthfully thoughl, it was perfect because I was with my family and that was just the right way for me to celebrate.

We decided to do our "formal" celebration this coming weekend as I will definitely be more awake then!

Interested to hear how everyone else celebrates.

Linda

We always say that we're going to be celebrating, but the fact is, like Linda, I let the people know who have been waiting to hear, and then, after all the tension and not sleeping for a few nights prior to the test and the appointment, I also collapse exhausted with carryout food and maybe a drink.

I've found that it takes a few days to unwind from these yearly tests and surgeon's visits, and with all the trying to put it behind me going on, we just don't hold any kind of celebration other than maybe I feel a little lighter for a while and have a lot less on my mind.

I also don't even tell my mom and my sister anymore that I'm going. I just let them know when it's over. I feel they've spent enough time worrying about this.

My way of celebrating I guess is to have a 'fun' worry for the summer, like the state of my golf game!

Interesting question though, I would love to know how others react/celebrate!

Cindy

Katie,

We always celebrated and still do with my Mom by just enjoying the AHHHHHHHHHH feeling of relief and contentment that follows good news . As others have stated, everyone is so exhausted from the stress and lack of sleep leading up to the moment, that it just feels good not to stress. A drink, glass of beer or wine to go with the relief and all is good.

Sue

Since I never tell my husband in advance that I am having a scan, I call him immediately and say " I had a good scan". Then he calls me a sh*t for hiding it from him and I can hear the sigh or relief in his voice. I too sleep like a baby that night after all those nights of insomnia. Then I am just on a high for a week or two reveling in the fact that at least for another 9 weeks, I don't have to worry!! Its such a wonderful feeling!!

My son Nick usually wants us to go out to eat to celebrate .....hmm.... why is it always HIS favorite restaurant we go to!! :lol::lol:

Hugs - Patti B.

Honestly, I am so relieved and so drained after I get the good news after a scan that I feel just plain humbled. I thank God and I pray a prayer of thanks. July 1st will be 3 years since my surgery. I am going to retire from teaching this month, after t35 years of teaching. I turned 60 years old last month. I am going to have a party and celebrate all three at the same time. The three years cancer free is the best, because without that the other would not be the same. I also remember those on this board who gave me strength and courage when I was totally scared out of my mind. I remember those who are no longer with us. I celebrate. I remember. I hope that I can be supportive to someone else as so many here have been to me.

Carol

Odd, but I don't really celebrate good scans, etc - in a way, having the good test results IS the celebration for me, if that makes sense at all. I can't match that feeling no matter what I would do to celebrate- the good results are already the exclamation point.

I do however celebrate my anniversaries, in some shape or form. I either buy myself a ring, or get a tattoo. I think I'm going with a tattoo again this year- I want more ladybugs.

The month before is a stressful time for us. Sometimes I have to prod Bev to make her appointment so we can get it over with and go celebrate with a dinner out. But we rarely do. The real celebration is just absorbing the phone call with those magic words “no change”. For me, it’s a sad joy, as I think about all that she has been through. Then it’s “Now what were we doing before we were so rudely interrupted?”

Katie:

My last "good" scan result was back in late 09/07 and I didn't do anything to celebrate it because I assumed in advance that it would be okay (Duh!). On the other hand, because I assumed it would be okay, I also didn't suffer from "scanxiety" in advance. :D

My "bad" scan result came in late 12/07. Again, I wasn't expecting it so no scanxiety" in advance. It took me a few days to process, during which time I didn't tell anyone. In fact, I didn't announce it to family and friends in general until I began 2nd line defense (Tarceva), which I had delayed starting for three weeks due to an upcoming visit from three out-of-state friends (quality of life vs. buying time).

The truth is that since my dx, I have celebrated almost every day. After all, I'm still alive and still smelling the roses--despite being four months past my "sell by" date. :D

Carole

Life is a Terminal Condition

Am embarrassed to say that after the last one I did a rowdy happy dance down the hallway at MDACC where the oncologists rooms are. People were coming out and looking but they were all smiling. I heard the PA of the thoracic surgeon who put in my port ask if that was the little lady from Key West then gave me a thumbs up. It was grand.

Drink red wine, also without the atavan.

Judy in Key West

It's pretty low key right after the results, but there is that greeeaaaat feeling of relief. We'll often have a dinner out. We reflect on all the fun things my remission has allowed us to experience together, and then we talk about what we still want to do. But really, everyday is a gift, and this disease has helped me appreciate the small, mundane daily treasures of living.