Chemo/Rad Horror Day

Well today was Tom's first Chemo/Radiation combo day and it did not go well. It wasn't so much the treatment but the people giving the treatment. Tom normally goes to a different office for his chemo but since the Rad is given at the hospital he decided to have the last 2 chemo's upstair from Radaition. Tom went on his own today and he was not happy with the way he was treated. The whole office was not very friendly. They seemed rather cold. Since the hospital is only 5 minutes from my work I stopped in and brought him lunch. Since I don't know where they hide all the chemo patients in that office I asked where he was. Nobody seemed to be able to tell me where he was. I literally had to walk through the halls and look in all the rooms to find him. It is not layed out like the other office.

Tom told me when he got there they said they could not treat him until he paid his copay. But on my insurance he does not pay unless he is also seeing the doctor that day and he was not. So they finally got him in and started treatment after a big to-do.

We also did the pre-treatment with the Decadron as we were supposed to and Tom called me at work because he could not remember what the name of it was. I told the nurse what he took and the times and doses. I guess they did not believe me because Tom said they gave him an IV infusion of decadron as well. Can you have too much of that because Tom is not feeling so well tonight. He said he feels more pissed off than anything.

Then when he got done he was walking down to the car and looked at his arm and there was blood running down his arm from the IV site. So it was back upstairs to get that taken care of.

And that's not all!!

They called him after he left and said that they could not give him his Neulasta shot tomorrow unless he got a new referral. Tom blew his cork!!! He told them that they could have said something to him while he was sitting there for 7 hours and he could have called the doctor and got it taken care of while he was still there. Now the office is getting ready to close and it may be too late. He is supposed to get the shot at 8 and the Doc's office does not open until 9. Then Tom says what do I do sit around for a couple of hours because you can't schedule things properly. She said that was his problem!!!!

Tom says that they are all a bunch of jerks at the hospital office and when he talks to the Onc next he will definitely get an ear full.

After tomorrows neulasta shot Tom says he will never return to that office.

I feel so bad for Tom as this is the worst he has been treated since the start.

Sorry for the long rant. I just needed to get it out.

Denise

That is simply awful Denise. Thank goodness it doesn't happen very often but there are a few of those folks out there, those that simply should not have the jobs they have if they have no em\pathy for patients. When I come across the "rare" one I think, well I've got cancer, what is your #$%#'n problem! I do think though that when you really have a bad experience like that it is important to provide feedback, and it can be done very diplomatically, on the off chance that your feedback will be heard and acted on. Perhaps prevent one other patient in receiving the same awful treatment. Hope today is better. Take care

Sandra

So sorry to hear this and thankful that he got his treatment and arrived home okay. Dave had a bad experience with a male nurse while in the hospital a month back or so, my husband who tolerates everything usually, was upset enough he brought it up to the head nurse! They need to know about things that happen or nothing will change, as someone that was in management I know that if you don't hear about it, well it doesn't get corrected!

I sure hope Tom gets to feeling better!

Deb

Thanks Ladies.

Well after all that… The doctor called Tom first thing this morning and said “What is that office talking about? You do not need a referral for the Neulasta shot as it is part of the treatment”. Then he gets to the office for his shot and they ask him if he has a co-pay for the shot. NO!!! OMG!!! All that hassle and for nothing. He also called and had his next chemo appt moved back to the other office where they treat him like a King. As well he should be.

He is feeling a bit better today although I notice his voice is starting to get hoarse and he is clearing his throat quite often. Today was radiation day 5 and just 30 more to go.

Denise

Denise-

Definitely report this to the hospital administration. Even though he will not be going back to that office, think of the other people who are and may be more frail and less likely to speak up for themselves. This is totally unacceptable that people working with cancer patients would act this way.

Hope Tom feels better and thank god he is full of spunk, huh??

Hugs - patti B.

Denise,

Wow , what a bunch of insensitive.. well JERKS!! they obiviously need to be working in a different field. You should definitly report it to some type of management. My Dad had a simular situation when getting blood labs. They MD was part of a group that had offices in 3 different cities (oshkosh, neenah, appleton), all with in 15miles of each other... Dad always went to the one just a few min from his house (neenah) for treatment cause he lived on the north side of town and was closer to the one in Neenah. he usualy would go for labs 2 days later and would have to travel even farther north (appleton) because the one in neenah was only open on Mondays.. he then decided that he was sick of going that far so why not just go to the one in town (oshkosh)... well he did that once and never again... they lost his blood had to do it again had to sit there forever, (hours!) only to tell him that he need transfusion and would have to go to Appleton anyways, and then when he got there they didnt have the results and anyone who has gotten a transfuion or been with someone who has... knows that is an all day long procedure in itself... he started out the day at 8am and didnt get home until almost 11pm... he was soooooooooo Mad!.. So i totally get how you and Tom are felling.. Hang in there, both of you!

Shelli

This Oncologist has 4 offices as well. Why should one office treat you any differently than the others?Tom always goes to the one in Rolling Meadows because it is closest. But because he gets radiation in Elk Grove Village he thought it would be best to just stay put. It turns out that the lady he is complaining about most is named Cookie. You would think with a name like that she would act sweeter.

Well Tom is usually done with rad by 8 a.m. and chemo is usually set for 8:30 a.m. and it is only a 10 min ride from each other he is going to split the treatment sites. He has to do what is right for him and makes him comfortable. He talked to the Onc today and let him know what happened. We will see.

Denise

And if the oncologist doesn't do something, I sure he has a boss!!

Sorry, everyone has bad days but it sounds like that whole office has some bad attitudes. Someone apparently forgot to put the sugar in the "Cookie" dough!!

Hugs - Patti B

Hi Denise,

I'm sorry Tom had to go through this. No excuses. Totally unacceptable.

I for one have no tolerance for anyone for does not do their job properly. Even if it's the guy at the drive through McDonald's. If you can't or don't want to do a job properly, you don't belong there.

When it comes to people working in the medical profession, there is absolutely no excuse for

this kind of behavior. It needs to be addressed.

Hope this does not happen again.

All the best,

Gail