to Find New Cancer Center

Dollfinn

Hello all. MSKCC in NYC basically blew me off today :? They said there is no cure for me. My scans showed strongly stable for the last 6 mo. now my SUV is 10, I started at 9. I feel great. I have a lot of fight left in me. My insurance will only cover "Centers of Excellence" and I said, Sloan is one of them? I'm in trouble. They approve FOX/CHASE IN PHILY; DANA FARBER IN BOSTON or JOHNS HOPKINS IN BALTIMORE. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Let's kick cancers arse together. Thanks everyone, Mary

Mary: Don't know how they told you there is no cure but it sounds like it wasn't very tactful. I remember when my oncologist told me only after I finally gave her the opening. She said it wasn't cureable but it was manageable. It was a blow but I guess they feel they have to be honest but I don't have to believe it. As long as the treatment points me in the right direction, I get to decide how far I go with it.

It seems cold for a center like Sloan to just not offer you anything. If it's close to home and you will need to travel a significant distance to one of the others, consider first if Sloan would let you see a different oncologist who might have a more aggressive approach. I so admire your spirit but take it from one who has been traveling a great distance for treatment, the travel is wearing in and of itself. But if that's the only choice, go for it.

Judy in Key West

Mary,

I go to Fox Chase and my doc is Michael Millenson. I love him. Dr. Langer is the head of the Lung Dept. and he does see patients. I don't know why his name is not in the directory, but I saw him when my doc was on vacation. Call Fox Chase and see what's up - maybe it is an oversight.

Good Luck and God Bless,

Sharon

Thanks everyone! We got approved for Cancer Center of America ,Philipephlia,PA today! They will make my appt. tomorrow. MSKCC did offer me 3 Avastin infusions, but no preventive care i/e bone scan or brain MRI. I said do I have to hit a small child driving before you check for brain mets? Judy, I will only travel 2 or so hrs. and pack lots of "uniforms"!! and hats!

I'll keep you posted. Looking for Philly friends, Mary