MAYBE a step in the right direction.. UPDATED..in thread

MsC1210

Mom called me this morning around 8am and said she has had it. She and Jerry's son who is here from Oregon were taking him to Albany and going to the ER at the VA hospital and DEMANDING that they do something to help this man. Mom said he had another really bad night, is having more pain in his back and the respiratory distress has become unbearable.

I am absolutely shocked and completely amazed by the lack of action the VA has taken. I wish so very much that Jerry had something other than this crap for health insurance as then he could have at least gone somewhere else and perhaps had something done before this. Being that he does not have other insurance and is not in any position to afford the cost of seeking treatment anywhere else, we are stuck with this nightmare. My heart is just breaking watching this poor man struggle just to live... This whole thing is just cruel, heartless and WRONG!!!!

Please keep the thoughts and prayers going as we certainly can use all the help we can get at this point.

My sincere thanks to all of you...

Chris

I sure hope this works for him. And fast. Whatever luck they have in taking him to the VA ER in Albany, they might also consider complaining to their U.S. Representative and Senators.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you all.

Muriel

Thank you Muriel.

Right now the main concern is simply to get some help for him but yes we are definitely not going to let this episode go without making A LOT OF NOISE about it.

For the servicemen and women who have risked their lives for this country to be treated so poorly is just unacceptable! For ALL of us, the high cost of simply getting treatment, medication etc simply to LIVE to fight is insane.

I am just so saddened to think that this is how so many veterans are treated. It is sickening.

Hugs

Chris

I am so sorry this is happening. No one should have to go through what he is going through or put up with that kind of treatment.

Many positive thoughts and prayers for you all.

Denise

Continued thoughts and prayers for you and your family Chris. Hopefully he can into the system soon. The insurance stuff in the US just boggles my mind. You have enough to worry about already and then all that crap on top of it. I hope there is some real action today! Stay fighting mad and hang in there.

Chris,

You are absolutely right, this is just wrong!!!! I'm so glad your mom is taking him to the ER. It seems that is the only way to get help , sometimes even in civilian hospitals. You either have to go to ER or call paramedics. No one should have to suffer as Jerry is suffering. Jerry and your family have my prayers.

Hugs,

Sue

update....

Mom called around 5pm and she and Jerry are back home. As unbelievable as this is, they did not keep him in the hospital! HOWEVER... they did determine that he was severely dehydrated, his blood pressure was very low (89/60) and, now I found this to be the statement of the day.. they were SHOCKED at how much he had deteriorated since he was there last.

After close to 4 bags of fluids and being monitored all day the doctor discharged him, WITH AN APPOINTMENT FOR MONDAY MORNING AT 9am to FINALLY have the broncoscopy/biopsy!!!!

Although we are all still quite unhappy, more like disgusted and pi**ed off beyond words at how this whole situation has been handled, we finally have some hope that we may get things moving now and get a treatment plan in place and better yet, started!

Thank you all so much for the prayers and well wishes.. Keep them coming please as we still have a long road ahead of us but HOPEFULLY it will become a smoother journey now.

Hugs to all

Chris

Chris - so happy to hear that the appointment is set up for Monday and that Jerry is feeling somewhat better after his trip to ER. It is so sad/maddening that people have to go through so much - aside from dealing with the cancer itself. As I read your post though, I wondered why they didn't keep him in the hospital to continue monitoring him and keep his fluids up. Not trying to stir the pot ... it just seems wrong to me.

I will continue to keep you, Jerry and your family in my prayers.

Linda

Chris,

I'm glad to hear that least SOMETHING has been done for poor Jerry. I have just been so angry thinking about how he and your family have had to live through this nightmare of neglect. I do hope things will progress in a more timely fashion from here on out. Prayers continued.

Hugs,

Sue

Thank you all so much for the words of support and the many prayers. I have been relaying all of the messages to Mom and Jerry and they are so very grateful for all of you!

I am so blessed to be a member of such a wonderful community.

Much love and many hugs to you all,

Chris

Chris:

If Jerry is eligible for VA medical, he should be eligible for palliative care, which would include RN-supervised home visits, including IVs, etc. If VA doesn't have its own contract with a hospice/palliative care agency, your mother could possibly still contact a nonprofit hospice/palliative care organization re his eligibility for free care.

Carole

Ljfe is a Terminal Condition

Chris,

I am beyond words. My heart just hurts to think about everything your fil and your family has had to go through. No one should have to struggle like this. I am amazed how bad are health system can be.

I sure hope that the hydration makes your fil feel a little better over the weekend.

You are all in my prayers.

Wendy