Paul Newman Has Lung Cancer

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/474 ... ng-cancer-

Excerpt from article:

. . . . . . . . .

FEARS were growing for Paul Newman last night following US magazine reports that the Hollywood legend is fighting lung cancer.

The double-Oscar winning star is said to have been diagnosed with the disease at New York’s Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre, where he is an outpatient.

Two US publications claim the 83-year-old actor, a former chain-smoker, is under the care of a leading oncologist. One quotes a family member as saying: “It’s so awful. He’s dying.”

Last night a source who has known the family for years confirmed: “We have known he is seriously ill for several weeks but his loved ones are being very protective and saying very little.”

The veteran of more than 50 films, including classics such as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Hustler and Cool Hand Luke, has been cancelling engagements. In the past six weeks he has dropped plans to direct Steinbeck’s Of Mice And Men on stage at the Westport Country Playhouse near his home in Connecticut.

The star also scrubbed an appearance at a fund-raising event for the Hole In The Wall Gang Camp, a charity he co-founded in 1988 to provide outdoor fun for children with life-threatening illnesses, and cancelled a “star guest” appearance on the CBS network’s flagship TV chat programme The Late Show With David Letterman.

Newman, who has raised more than £75million for charity through his range of organic Newman’s Own grocery products in the US, retired from acting in May last year, citing failing memory.

He is said to be especially upset that he was too sick to attend the children’s camp fundraiser.

. . . . . . . . .

(Sunday Express, UK, By Mike Parker, June 8, 2008)

Disclaimer:

The information contained in these articles may or may not be in agreement with my own opinions. They are not posted as medical advice of any kind.

Dang.

Paul Newman is not only one of the all-time finest actors, but has been incredibly generous in so many ways, not just giving to charity, but setting up programs, etc. Like Edward Kennedy, he has gone far beyond the "standard" in his activities.

Carole

Life is a Terminal Condition

To all,

I went back to see if there were previous articles on Mr. Newman's health, and there were some reports back in February and March 2008.

The reports were that he denied that he was ill.

Just the other day, I heard on TV news that he had some "health issues."

To address the smoking thing, it never ceases to be the topic for commentary whenever a person is diagnosed with lung cancer.

I smoked for decades and not one doctor commented on my smoking as being the cause of my TIA (transient ischemic attack).

It seems as though it is a broken record when it comes to lung cancer.

Some labels/stigmas are slow to disappear.

Barbara

]