hoarse voice

hinj

my father's voice had been hoarse prior to diagnosis from either tumor or lymph node pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve. voice improved dramatically during 10 palliative chest radiations treatments which finished in middle of may. since chemo his voice has starting to get a little raspy. started taxol/carbo last week. just wondering if anyone else had a raspy/weaker voice with the chemo or if i should be worried that it is progressing?

thanks.

Hmmmm...that is a tough one. I guess if you have any fears, talk to the doc. Dad's hoarse voice did improve, so we were lucky there...but it is generally pretty rough in the morning still and it gets better.

Good luck...keep us posted.

Jen

since chemo his voice has starting to get a little raspy. started taxol/carbo last week. just wondering if anyone else had a raspy/weaker voice with the chemo or if i should be worried that it is progressing?

Tom's voice has gone in and out of being hoarse and raspy. He has had a great response to treatment though and tumors have shrunk considerably.

We are now doing radiation and it remains the same.

Denise

T he tumpur is pressing on the vocal nerves here. The nerves do not go from top (Head) to bottom(Toes) but rather the toes to the head in diredction. THe tumour is pressing on a vocal nerve and when treatment starts generally improves the voice by shrinking the tumour. Voice should improve there fore. Sadly though if voice gets Raspy there MAY be a problem. THis may not always be the case though because everyone is different. so keep that in mind also!

THats what Debs doc told us before and it was pretty much spot on....

Thoughts and Prayers

Dear Hinj,

My husband's voice became weak at the latter part of his recent chemo combination (last two infusions) carboplatin/taxol/Avastin. It did improve, though, as the days would progress away from the infusions.

For example, his last infusion was May 28.

This week, his voice is back to norm, and he is talking clearly, with full robust voice.

His overall demeanor is better, as well.

His skin was also very sensitive during the latter part of treatments, but this week, he is less tired, skin has improved, and voice back to full swing.

As has been mentioned, everyone's system is different. Relating the symptoms is definitely in order to make certain they aren't signs of untoward effects.

Hope your Dad's voice improves.

Barbara

Dave's voice would get weak and raspy with the Carbo/Taxol/Avastin chemo but by the third week and just in time for another round it would improve, now that he is off that regiment I am hopeful it stays normal but as everyone said each cancer and each patient are different. I hope you see an improvement.

Deb

I had a very raspy, and sometimes weak, voice after I'd been on Taxol/Carbo/Avastin for a while, and that continued for a few months into my Avastin only treatment (I think the Avastin just delayed the healing, but the Taxol/Carbo was the cause). In my case there was nothing pressing on the vocal cords or other noise-making apparatus -- it was more like general irritation of the throat, esophagus, etc. that also affected by eating. Voice is back to normal now.

Aloha,

Ned

• 2 weeks later...

When I was on Carbo/TaxolAvastin, my voice was extremely raspy. The doc said it was possible that the tumor was pressing on a nerve but as soon as I came off the Carbo/Taxol and was on Avastin only, probably within a month, my voice was back to normal.

Hugs - Patti B.