Something Odd

I took notice today of greeting cards received by Tom over the years. His kids have always sent funny cards for all occasions. Now this being the first card holiday for him since his diagnosis he is receiving sappy cards saying how much he is loved and appreciated etc. It is nice to voice it or write it down but why now. Tom likes the funny cards and it seems to give him a pick me up. He is uncomfortable with the demonstrative sappy love stuff.

Anyone else have this happen?

Denise

Dave's has only one daughter alive and yes we got a sappy card but the funny thing here is we for many many years got none! She is many many miles away and better about calling now, too little too late in my opinion but her dad seems to usually appreciate it no matter what!

Hope Tom has a great Father's Day, Dave is not doing so well and I am just hoping for a quiet day.

Deb

Tony got Mass cards :shock: -- but they were greatly appreciated.

Yes, I guess you are right, there began to be a mix of funny and serious cards. People began expressing deeper sentiments, because everyone knew this wasn't going to have a happy ending. It's what they need to do and they aren't thinking of how it might affect Tom. I'm sure they don't mean any harm, but it's not about them, it's about Tom. Have a chat with the kidins.

Happy Father's Day to him.

Welthy

I've been getting both kinds of cards since my dx (sappy and funny), and although I admit that personally I prefer the funny, I also appreciate the depth of the love that caused some formerly "funny" card senders to turn "sappy" this last year. As a result, I can't possibly get upset with them for trying to show il.

Carole