Left Lung Predominance?

SandraL

good Monday morning everyone! I hope the sun is shining in all your corners of the world.

This thought occurred to me over the weekend (and many others..but I will keep it to this one!)

Is it just me, or does LC seem to start more often in the left versus the right lung? I have never read that anywhere but it seems to me that is the case for most people here.

And if so, why is that? I did not pay much attention to anatomy lessons in high school, but from what I can remember, both lungs work similarly? Although I do know there is some difference with the left lung to leave room for the heart.

Just curious...I bet someone here knows the answer to this.

thanks

Sandra

Gee, Sandra, I had the opposite impression, maybe because mine is in the right lung. The right lung is larger and consists of 3 lobes, while the left has only 2 lobes with the heart taking up some room near the middle. Does that mean it's more likely to develop cancer? I don't know, but probably not. It's like saying that a twin-engine airplane is twice as likely to have an engine failure as a single-engine plane, and I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Though if a lung has to be removed, it IS more debilitating if it's the right one, since that comprises more than half of one's breathing capacity.

Ned

And I'm right handed, left brain then (obviously not the scientific side of the brain) and left lung impaired!

I am sure someone smart like Randy maybe will be along shortly to set us all straight! It just seemed to me that most people I have read about had left lung issues first. But I was obviously quite wrong as missed you two very important people!

Woah!!!!!!! We may be onto something here! :lol:

I, too, am more left-brained (analytical) than right-brained, despite being left-handed (although I'm much better at language than math). I also have a couple things that I do right handed (bowling, pitching).

As to the VIP status conferred on Ned and me, thanks, Sandra!!!! :D

Left-handed, right-lunged Carole

OK I was following along for awhile then lost it. Now i just have a headache on both sides of my brain!!!!LOL

I'm right handed, but do most things left handed ( hockey, baseball, etc.), had my Left upper lobe removed, and am more analytical.

I'm right-handed and more analytical than whatever the other option is called. My first tumor was in the upper lobe of my right lung. The second one was in the upper lobe of my left lung. I think the correlation between lung dominance and brain dominance is 0.00. with a margin of error of 0.00000000000000000000. Just my opinion.

Muriel

I can't believe I went for a massage and missed all this fun. Sandra, I read the first post and though, wow, I love that kind of stuff. Ya all just kinda chimed in and it got really crazy!

I'm right handed, have (lung) cancer in the left chest wall and my brain can't really decide most of the time if it wants to lean to the right or the left. Frankly I really like Patti B's idea.

What a great bunch.

Judy in Key West

Right handed - left lower lobe. This is quite freaky actually Sandra...perhaps you really are onto something here. How do you come up with these questions ... what side of the brain are they coming from :lol: ? Can't wait to hear the other thoughts that popped into your head over the weekend!

My thoracic surgeon said lung cancer is more predominant in the right lung. I don't know if that is correct, but that is what I was told. However, I like Ned's analogy about the plane better.

Linda

Hahahaha Muriel!!!

Tony was left-handed but did golf and play ball right-handed (common for lefties.) He had cancer in both lungs, but the largest mass was in his ULL and his wife is hare-brained. :roll: I think there is no margin of error with this scenario. LOL

Welthy :D

Well honestly, it was a serious question at the beginning of the day when I posed it. Then all heck broke loose! But at least it has provided me a good chuckle on what otherwise has turned out to be a very bad day.

Maybe someone in charge around here can move this now to where it should be, in the just for fun forum! Cause I am guessing there ain't no science to it. What the heck. Perhaps I should keep my future random thoughts (haven't a clue what side of the brain the strange ones come from) to myself!

Absolutely Sandra - I love the way your mind thinks! I was serious when I said I couldn't wait to hear the other thoughts that popped into your head. A mind like yours - deep thinker - those are the ones that pose the most interesting questions - please, keep them coming!

Just going to sign off and say a special prayer for good results for you and hope they don't keep you waiting. Will be wringing my hands (just like Kasey does) until I hear all is well on your end.

Hugs,

Linda

Sandra: Please do not have this topic moved to "just for fun." I know your original question had nothing to do with handedness, but there are some fairly startling statistics appearing here (potentially serious statistics, not "just for fun").

I'm doing a little outside research and will be back with more tonight or tomorrow, but in the meantime, (a) consider the fact that only 10% of all people are left-handed, then look at the above responses; and (B) see this article at http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_health_ ... s_id=15847 titled "Lefties Face Increased Breast Cancer Risk."

Back with more later...

Left-handed Carole

I will leave the scientific research to you then Carole. I am just an accountant and even at that can't keep track of the statistics we have gathered here. Guess if you are going to research it though we should encourage others to chime in. Got to make sure we have a statistically valid sample.

yours in research, together we can beat this thing, I will try to think of some other crazy questions

Sandra