Bad night for Tom

Poor Tom is not having a good night. It has been a bad day all around for him actually. He had his last Chemo on Monday and the Neulasta yesterday. Today he said he has felt dizzy and weak all day. He did manage to get through radiation and work today. He said he has been drinking but has no appetite tonight. He only had a couple of bites of his dinner.

The neurapathy is pretty bad in his feet lately. He did take a pain pill and is now resting. Hopefully he will be able to get through the night without much trouble.

Tom's daughter and son in law are coming in on Friday from Houston for the weekend and Tom has 4 days off of work. That should give him some time to recoup some of his energy.

I hate chemo week.

Denise

Denise,

I don't know about Tom, but I know the 3rd day after chemo is when Mike always seemed to drop like a rock . It was especially noticible if he was on dexamethasone too because you get the drop from sterioid withdrawl. Mike's would always be at it's worst a couple days and then get a bit better. Chemos also have an accumulative effect. Tom is such a fighter.. bless his heart and yours too. Sure hope he feels better and in time to enjoy the weekend.

Hugs,

Sue

Tom says he feels a little better this morning as far as the pain goes. He is still feeling a bit shaky. Tom is off to Grammy D's for his morning TLC. He better eat damn it.

Carole

I on the other hand am feeling about 75% better. I still get times where I feel like I can't breathe deep enough. I can't lay flat at night so I have to sleep practically sitting up. I didn't get to sleep until about 1 a.m. The other night because I felt like I couldn't breathe. I did get some pretty good sleep last night though so I feel a bit more rested. I am done with the antibiotics and this morning is the last steroid pill. I am relying on the inhaler to get me through. I know it takes a while to kick pneumonia to the curb but DAMN this has gone on to long. It has been 2 weeks already since I first got sick.

I am now coughing up yellow gunk. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

Thanks for inquiring

Denise

"Flyman35"]I still get times where I feel like I can't breathe deep enough. I can't lay flat at night so I have to sleep practically sitting up. I didn't get to sleep until about 1 a.m. The other night because I felt like I couldn't breathe... I know it takes a while to kick pneumonia to the curb but DAMN this has gone on to long. It has been 2 weeks already since I first got sick. I am now coughing up yellow gunk. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

And have you kept your doctor up to date? I think it's been going on too damned long, too. It should have been mostly kicked by the time you finished your antibiotics.

Call your doctor today, Denise (That's an order! :D).

Affectionately,

Carole

PS And who will be playing hostess while Tom's family is here? You mentioned that Tom would be having a good four days, but why is it that I get the feeling that you will be working your tush off taking care of everyone else--as usual. :cry:

Carole

Debbie and Richard will be staying in a hotel this time. Deb stayed with us last time. I love Deb and Richard to death and they mostly take care of themselves. Richard just celebrated his 50th b-day and Deb will be 50 in December. They know that with all that is going on that we cannot dote on them the whole time they are here. I don't see it being a problem. I am actually looking forward to it.

Denise

I will call the doc now.

OKAY!!

So I call the doctor and leave my long drawn out message about my symptoms I am still having. I get a call back from one of the nurses and I have to go over the whole thing again!!! Then she says that she will tell the doctor and they will call me back.

Did I stutter? I am sure I did not. AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Denise

And the verdict is!!! I get another week of antibiotics. If I am not better in 5 days I get to go back in for an office visit.

Oh Boy I am so excited!!!!

This is very reminiscent of what Tom went through before diagnosis. Not that I would be wish any thing on myself.

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like it Sam I am. Not 1 iota!!!

Denise

Denise, did they culture any of the "gunk" you have coughed up or are they just prescribing antibiotics willy-nilly? Sorry that's the lab tech in me talking but here you are not better and it might not even be the right antibiotic!

But then again let's not forget all that you are dealing with, right? The caregiver must take care of herself! :wink: I got the worst bronchitis right after my Mom came home after diagnosis. I would wait outside of the oncology clinic and peep through the door until they called her back and then I went in with a mask on.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon,

Leslie

Leslie

No Culture. I just started the gunk thing yesterday. Up until yesterday it was just a cough. Maybe it is just starting to break everything up. The first antibiotic was the amoxicillin. Then they switched to Levaquin. I won't know until tonight what they called in because I didn't bother to ask. I just assumed it would be more Levaquin because they said they were going to refill it. I had samples the first time. Now I will have to pay for this one.

Denise

Denise-

I am on Levaquin, too!!!! And Mucinex - that stuff is so nasty but it works!!!

I have had pneumonia soooooo many times since I was a kid - sometimes it does take a while to start feeling better. But you really need to keep an eye on it. My mom right now has pneumonia - they told her its called anerobic (sp) pneumonia - its bacteria-based and forms a bacteria "ball" inside your lung and doesn't need oxygen to grow!! Sounds creepy. I am just so hoping mine doesn't turn into something like that!!

Please feel better and please keep an eye on how you feel.

Hugs - Patti B.

Denise - hope you and Tom feel better soon. Enjoy the visit with "the kids"!

Also, you may want to just keep track of how this pneumonia has played out so far - ie: when it started, meds you have been prescribed, when you started coughing up stuff, etc. This way if you need to go back into the doctor in 5 days (praying you won't though) you will have a timeline for how this has progressed and what your symptoms have been. Just a thought anyhow.

I'm off camping tomorrow so I hope all improves in your house over the weekend.

Take care,

Linda

So my co pay for my Levaquin is $50!!!! That is outrageous!!!

Levaquin is the Gold Standard. It does not have a generic.

This makes over $200 to treat this and I'm still not better. It is 2 weeks as of today.

I don't have a bank account so I went to the bank that my paycheck is drawn on because they cash my check for free and the lobby was closed already but the drive through was open. I don't have an account at this bank so they said they cannot cash my check through the drive through. They are closed tomorrow as well as all the currency exchanges. This means that I cannot cash my check until Saturday which means I can't get my Levaquin until then either. If I can't find the funds for it tomorrow and I have to wait until Saturday then I will just go to the doctors office that is open on Saturday and get more samples.

We saw the Fireworks at Grammy D's tonight and it got down to the mid 50's. Toward the end I started in with a coughing fit. Cold air seems to make it worse.

I just can't seem to catch a break.

Denise