Brain Radiation

Guest MomOTwins

Guest MomOTwins

Has anyone here had this? I need to know one thing, did you have a hard time getting your appetite back? I cannot eat. My stomach says send some food down but my mouth says nothing doing. It's the strangest thing. I'm drinking lots of supplements etc. My radiologist's nurse (who I don't trust) said it's probably the Iressa but I've been off that since last Monday so I don't think so. But maybe. I just don't want to have to go off Iressa for good. I think it is the only thing that can give me lots more time, especially with the brain tumors.

Thanks guys,

Veronica

Veronica,

I deal with this all the time. I make myself eat. Sometimes that means all I can do is a few bites of food. Then I sit there and wait for my esophagus to decide if it's going to push the food down, or back up. It's a lot of work, almost like learning to eat all over again. So go slow, but keep trying.

Best Wishes,

Fay A.

Veronica, I too had trouble eating especially early on in my initial treatments. I didnt have any pain or anything it was just food did not appeal to me at all. I lost quite a bit of weight. I started taking a liquid drug called MEGACE. The clinical term is megestrol acetate i believe. It has been a god send for my appetite and i still take it daily. I take 20 ml. per day and i have got one heck of an appetite. There is also another one called marinol i believe that works similiar to megace. Both are designed to stimulate the appetite. I have not had any side effects related to taking this medicine either. I dont know if its right for you but you may want to check it out. My Dr. didnt offer it i had to ask about it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Greg

Guest MomOTwins

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy. I have tried marinol and the megace I have I only tried once. Maybe I should try it again. But, hooray, I just went out and had prime rib and potato. I was starving! Now tomorrow this may continue or I might get up and not be able to eat a thing. Man I hope this isn't the Iressa!!!!

Thanks guys,

Veronica