Books on cancer

dfourer

I said a few personal things in my introduce myself post

http://www.lungevity.org/l_community/vi ... hp?t=37828

here I'm going to write a little about the science stuff.

I've gotten a little behind on my reading, but here is my all-time favorite books on biology of cancer. These books gave me a perspective, a way to understand the big picture. I needed a framework for understanding stuff. The more advanced books are incredibly complex and I got quite lost trying to keep the details strait. Just knowing how complicated something is can be helpful.

--"One Renegade Cell", by Robert Weinberg, Basic Books 1998, 176 pages of easy reading, describes the modern theories of cancer in a historical context.

--"The Biology of Cancer", 2007, Garland Science, also by Robert A. Weinberg. College/graduate school level text on the biology of cancer. 800 pages. Coherent coverage of a very large and complicated subject. Enough background material to make it accessible to non-experts.

--"Molecular Biology of the Cell", 5th edition, Bruce Alberts and others. Everything about molecules and biology and genetics and chemistry and the mystery of life, between two covers. 1200 pages. Up-to-date.

"In 1975, there were virtually no insights into the molecular alterations within human cells that lead to the appearance of malignancies. One generation later, we possess this kind of knowledge in abundance." --"The Biology of Cancer"

Maybe others would like to suggest more reading.

Until I found this site, I never had access to people's stories and medical histories. I think reading other people's experiences will help me make better decisions, including treatment decisions. I value and depend on my doctor very much, but I'm not comfortable letting her take all the responsibility. My body and mind tell me things that only I can know. Also, I have only one patient to concentrate on, and the doctor has maybe a hundred or two hundred, who knows. I thought this over, and I'm more comfortable making a mistake myself than if someone else makes a wrong decision and I could have taken responsibility. It's my life. I need to own the responsibility.

Thanks for the input, David.

Not only are your references helpful, but I'm always a sucker for a good book! :D

I also follow what you wrote re decision-making. I am the one who will make my important decisions ultimately (my doctor at that point will exist primarilly for input), and the more well-read I am, the more informed my decision.

Carole

thanks for the reading references David. You have obviously been what I would call an exceptional patient! That being one who is in control of your treatments.

Most of my reading so far has been more about the mental versus the science side.

If you have time can you post your chemo history in NSCLC forum in roll call question I posted. thanks in advance

Happy summer reading

Sandra