Radiation side effects

babylove91297

Hi everybody,

Just thought I would update you all and let you know how I am doing. The radiation is starting to burn my esophagus and I am having a lot of heartburn. But otherwise I am feeling alright. The doctor said that I can't eat anything real spicy and I can't drink carbonated drinks. Don't know where I am going to get my caffeine from now....I don't drink coffee or tea. Oh well, guess I'm just going to be tired...lol.

I hope everyone had a great 4th. I will keep you updated.

Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

Sorry to hear about the radiation problems. I am not a coffee/tea drinker either so not being able to have a diet coke was really hard during radiation. Believe me, don't try to dirink the carbonated drinks - it burns so bad going down.

I hope you have better days ahead!

Wendy

Hi Bobbie,

My radiation started getting really painful in the middle and at the end.

I was lucky with the mouth though. Did you get the Magic Mouthwash?

That helped me a little bit with the pain but sometimes didn't reach far enough down.

And I took prilosec every night and I think that helped alot when I got to the end of my treatment.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Best wishes

Marianne

"babylove91297"]Hi everybody,

Just thought I would update you all and let you know how I am doing. The radiation is starting to burn my esophagus and I am having a lot of heartburn. But otherwise I am feeling alright. The doctor said that I can't eat anything real spicy and I can't drink carbonated drinks. Don't know where I am going to get my caffeine from now....I don't drink coffee or tea. Oh well, guess I'm just going to be tired...lol.

I hope everyone had a great 4th. I will keep you updated.

Bobbie

Hi Bobbi,

Sorry to hear about the side effects. I found that viscous lidocaine right before eating helped with the esophagus pain and Nexium helped with the heartburn. I'm 2 years out from radiation now, and I'm happy to report that those side effects do go away. Hang in there.

Trish

Prilosec, Magic Mouthwash (aka Rocky Mountain Mouthwash) and Nystatin helped me with stomach aches, esophagus pain and mouth sores (respectively).

Ultimately (a month or so after my radiation tx ended), I had to have my esophagus dilated (the radiation burn can cause diameter to shrink), but the procedure was simple and relatively painless, and even though they said I'd probably have to have it done again every few months, it's now been over 14 months and I'm still swallowing fine.

Carole

Guest hearrean

Bobbie:

After trying several things, my Radiation Onc finally put me on an old reliable drug called Carafate. You want the liquid form & for me, it worked wonders with not only the heartburn, but soothing of my esophagus as well. If you haven't already, give it a try. To me, it was a wonder drug!

Ken