Mom has a brain met

Leela

On Friday, she started having memory and confusion problems. She said she noticed it some on Thursday as well, but did not tell us. She was and continues to have problems with remembering how to do everyday things - using her check card, opening the garage door, putting on her seat belt. She was unsteady on her feet and had trouble judging distances. On Saturday morning we went to the walk-in clinic to have tests to rule out a bladder or other infection, in hopes that would be the answer.

On Monday we found out they came back negative and her chemo oncologist schedule an MRI of the head that afternoon. And as we feared, she does have a brain met. It is a single spot but it has caused swelling. She was immediately put on the Dexamethason steroid to help the swelling. Tuesday we went to the radiation oncologist to get set up for whole brain radiation. She will have 14 treatments starting tomorrow. Then following that, she will start chemo again for other progression. She is hanging in there, as are we. Prayers are requested.

Thanks all,

Lisa

My Mom had one brain met, had WBR and never got it back in her brain again.

I know it's hard to hear it's in the brain (that was the one place my Mom was terrified of it going to) she handled the WBR fine, just lost her hair and had some swelling in her ears. There are a lot of people on here that had brain mets-more than one met and are still doing good. Just keep reading your Mom all the positive stories.

Take Care

Dar

agreed that brain mets in nsclc are very responsive to radiation. Out of curiosity, did the Onc talk to you about why he is going with Whole Brain radaiation instead of a more targetted radiation such as SRS? I'm sure he has a reason, but I know in at least some instances, a more targetted radiaiton is used before WBR where there are just a few brain mets.

Thanks all for the good wishes and positive thoughts, everyone. I, too, questioned why WBR 1st. Her rad. oncologist said he wanted to start with that to catch anything else too small to detect that could be forming. He said that later if any others appear he would want to try a more targeted therapy.

The steroids have helped a bit already. I feel so bad as she is frustrated with not being able to do certain things. She has always been so independent. Why do they have to make remotes so darn complicated anyways!

I am struggling still with having had to be the one to tell her she had a brain met. Like Dar's mom, it was one of her biggest fears. The doctor told me over the phone immediately after the MRI - I took the call in the room where the MRI techs sit. They showed me the pictures right then - it was surreal. I know she would not have been able to process the news herself from the dr.

Thanks again,

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I persoanlly do not know much about WBR but some people have compliations after and most do so well.

I wish you mom success with hers. I know she can't wait to get back to herself and to be independent again. I could only imagine the frustration she has neen going through.

Keep us posted on her progress.

Maryanne

Lisa,

Alan had a single brain met in July 2005. Treatment was 15 WBR treatments (to zap anything that could be there)followed by 15 IMRT treatments to the tumor itself. Alan never had the cancer return to his brain. Alan did have some short term memory issues and partial loss of hearing in one ear, but those were minor side effects to deal with.

My prayers that your mom has a great response to treatment.