Interesting Age Perspective

jaminkw

Those of you who have been around for awhile have heard me whine on more than one occasion about diminished energy and constant aches and pain. Some of you express similar complaints. My daughter recently offered a perspective I thought was worth throwing out there. I was diagnosed at age 64 and my daughter suggests that these symptoms are really age related. But, she adds, because of the cancer it happened more suddenly and therefore I didn't have the time I might have had to get used to it more gradually.

What do you think? Is this a plausible alternative to it's caused by the cancer or it's a side effect of the treatment?

Judy in Key West

Great question Judy. Here's my 2 cents worth.

I was diagnosed at age 45 so I'm not sure if it is the age thing. Since diagnosis, I have had more aches and pains than I care to mention. I had worked at construction work for a long time and always knew that later on it would take it's toll physically. So maybe my 45 year old body had the wear and tear of a 60 year old. Maybe the aches and pains would be there without the diagnosis. That is the physical response. Personally, I think it is more of a mental issue. I am sure I have always had aches and pains. Now I am more aware of them and the first thought is if they are cancer related. I lost my Mother and Brother to cancer. So now when I have a pain in my big toe, I recall something they may have said about having a pain in their big toe. Then it is automatically cancer related in my mind. I think these things were always there or would be there anyway because of our age, how we lived/worked physically, etc. Just now we are more aware of them. Just my opinion.

Bruce, I hear you. I have always been a physical overachiever. When I weighed little more than 90lbs I'd wrestle a bureau up the steps to the attic or roll up a room size sheet of linoleum and get it up and out the second story window. I was too stubborn to wait for my husband to come off the road. Those bad habits and a car wreck in my thirties pretty much guaranteed I'd pay the piper someday. The worst was an extended overdo when I was in my forties so I think that age is significant.

I also agree with what you say about our historical experience with family cancer factoring in. My dad died of what I now understand was probably lung cancer with mets to the spine (it was the early seventies and we have little info). I've had low back pain for forever and am periodically certain I'll develop spine mets. Hard to push those thoughts away!

Judy in Key West

Hi Judy. If it helps any, you sure don't sound 64! I am a fair bit younger than you and even younger than Bruce. But boy I can sure attest to aches and pains and the constant worry. Hey you and Bruce have the big toe worry in common. I haven't got down that low yet! Age is just a state of mind...I plan to stay young forever! Don't let your body fool you into thinking any different!

Judy,

I have two different perspectives on the age question. Several years ago (I'm 63 now) I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I put my fatigue down to my age until my daughter told me that I was too young to be old. Sure enough my energy returned as I completed the antibiotic treatment.

My 90 year old mom has CLL (chronic leukemia) whose main symptom is fatigue. Whenever she tells her doctor that she is very tired but guesses that's due to her disease, her doctor replies: "Rose, you're 90. It's natural to be tired."

So I gues it could be age but then again...

Nothing for it but to stick around and see if it gets better.