Dad came over tonight

KatieB

Today was a great day. Mom brought dad over tomy house for a change. Usually I go to theirs a visit with him daily or else go with him to the Dr. He still walks very unsteadily, still needs the wheelchair whenever to go anywhere far. But came over and had a great lunch, parked himself on my sofa and read a magazine and watched CNN. Stayed for about 4 hours and we had a great visit. Did nothing really, but just all be together.

I'm hoping there are many of these days to come and that he will eventually get some strength back. He hasn't had any for about 6 months. But I tell myself that's ok, as long as he is not in any pain or is not physically ill.

This Tues will be the second week of the Topetecan. Don't know if it is doing anything against the new lesion, but it is not making dad sick yet. Many of you know that the first chemo whiped him out and almost did him in. I wonder? If you don't have any side-effects, is the chemo working? (There goes my paranoia again.)

Guess I should just shut up and enjoy these good days, huh? Will keep you guys posted as always, prayers always very much appreciated (thank you all) And I know I don't have to say it, but you guys are always included in our prayers.

I'll just say it once more to all of you....You're the best!!!! Just wanted to put it in writing that today was a "great" day

:)

Katie,

I'm so glad that you had a good day with your family and your Dad. :D Some of my best memories are of doing "everyday things with my parents" just being there... enjoying each other. I think that it is great that he is doing so well on the new chemo. I will keep you both in my prayers that there are many more good days.

Laurie

Katie,

Just spending time with our loved ones is the best. While you were watching CNN with your dad - Bill and I did the same thing together all afternoon. I was perfectly content to just hibernate with him for the day. I am so glad he was able to come and be with you.

Blessings to you,

Peg

Oh Katie - I had to smile when I read your post - the part about whether or not chemo is working if there is no side effects. Either we are a little alike or maybe everyone has similar emotions. I had that exact thought a couple of nights ago. Hugh and I were watching TV and I noticed that he had a bit of hair growing back. It actually knocked the breath out of me. I wondered if the chemo wasn't attacking his hair was it attacking the cancer? I took a couple of deep breaths and told myself I was just being paranoid, I have always been an over-worrier. I can't believe how much comfort it gives me to know there are people out there feeling just what I feel! Hugh is doing so much better right now and it sounds like your Dad is also. I love this good news section!

Katie, being together IS a big thing! That is so important. And, your dad needs to get out and about. I try to get Lucie out of the house, even if it is just a ride in the car, each day we can. They need to keep in touch with the outside world and life! Blessings. Don

Hi Katie, I remember reading somewhere probably a hospital phamplet that stated that side effects didn't have nay thing to do with weather chemo was working or not , if I come across it I will post it.

My Father lives about 2 hour drive from me, he comes here we watch tv, he naps then drives home, guess it is just being in the presence of our loved ones.

Hope for ther best for your Dad, David A

Sometimes I will post something because maybe I can be of some encouragement, support or information, or I'll post just to get something off my chest, other times I really need help, either emotionally or about treatments, etc... On this particular day, I was very happy, posting to "hear" myself speak, didn't intend for anyone to reply....YOU guys are the GREATEST. You DO feel like family and you DO care. For the hundredth time, thanks

Katie

So happy you had such a great day with your dad and hope you have many many more. Its the little things in life that count. I enjoy each moment now like I never did before. I never was one to take things for granted but now I find I really enjoy each day and take time to stop and smell the roses. Life is a gift and I hope it keeps on giving for all of us for a long time

Bess B

Guest hopeful2

katie, I wondered the same thing. My 1st tx. with cisplatinand VP16 almost wiped me out too. The 2nd was better. I was changed to Carbo and it NEVER made me sick. I was scared it wasn't working but after the last tx. my scan was clean. So yeah it can work even though you don't get sick and that is a very good thing!

Hopeful2, Thank you for sharing that. It really puts my paranoia at ease. Will be going with dad for #2 of the Topetecan tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it IS working without the side-effects!

Bess, I'm so happy to see you posting. You've gotten strength to share your story AND help others! Am praying for you,

Katie,

That is great news!!!!:) And don't worry about the lack of side effects, my mom has virtually none, and her recent scan showed significant decrease in tumor size.:) She's using the carbo and VP-16. It seems from what I have read recently here that carbo had less side effects.

I hope you guys have more good days to come.:)