RandyW Posted July 28, 2008 Share Posted July 28, 2008 New York (dbTechno) - Granite countertops found in the home of many people across the U.S. have been found to actually pose a health risk. It has been found that these granite countertops let out radioactive gas which can cause cancer. The report comes from the New York Times, and focuses on granite countertops, which have become a popular staple in the home of many people in the U.S. and abroad. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has come out and stated that the gas emitted by the granite countertops is a radioactive noble gas, radon. It has no taste, no odor, etc. This gas affects indoor air quality, and is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. The EPA put out a statement late Friday saying “While natural minerals such as granite may occasionally emit radon gas, the levels of radon attributable to such sources are not typically high. EPA believes the principal source of radon in homes is soil gas that is drawn indoors through a natural solutioni process.” The EPA did state that construction materials such as granite, as well as concrete, cinder blocks, etc can contain small radioactive materials. The New York Times article states that homeowners are recommended to “bring fresh air in and exchange it with the air in the kitchen.” The report also stresses that people who have their granite countertops tested for radon. Share and Enjoy: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.