QUESTION

coni

Coni, Tarceva is a one a day pill that targets the cancer gene receptors, therby slowing stopping or reversing the cancer growth. Col did the carbo taxol for six rounds and after that has been on Tarceva ever since. It is a relatively "easy" treatment as it does not beat you up like the chemo...Side effects are typically diharea (i don't know how to spell that), and an acne like rash...In addition, Col has developed some cracked skin on her fingers and toes. All in all, these side effects are controllable, and again, beat the heck out of chemo....I believe that typically, chemo and radiation is the standard first line treatment, and then Tarceva typically a second line treatment...But treatments vary greatly based on cancer and the person being treated...But that is how it went for us. Col's been on Tarceva for over a year now, with stable reults everytime since then...For us it has been the silver bullet....would we like to see the cancer go away, yes, are we happy as long as it isn't getting worse, yes.

Please note that I am not a doctor, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn express last night. I've just taken a two year on the job training course in Stage iv NSCLC.

Coni, I don't know enough about what treatments are used for what cancers but I think there might be an alternate scenario. I'm on Avastin maintenance and even though I'm in remission, I know others like Ned went on Avastin maintenance before Tarceva. Avastin is supposed to be very benign (unless you get the raging blood pressure like Patti and I). My main complaint is chronic extreme fatigue and you can argue it's the chemo or enough bp meds to down an elephant--same result.

Judy in Key West

Well, if your doctor doesn't bring it up, make sure you ask about it....Be your own or in this case your husband's advocate....Doctors often have a perfectly legitimate reason for doing things, however, they don't always tell you what they are.

I concur with Judy in Key West...there are many different options available....so this may not be the route you go. YOu asked about tarceva, so I gave you the run down of how Col got there...Hope I didn't confuse anyone or lead anyone to believe that the way Col's treatment went is the way everyone's treatment should go.

Now if someone will explain to me why I MUST type Judy in Key West everytime instead of just Judy...lol...I'd be doing a lot better...It's like a person's name where you can't just say the first name, you have to use their full name.

JB you don't have to use "in Key West" when you refer to me or something I said. We'll get it. lol I use it because Judy is a common name and when I first came on I noticed a Judy using Judy--O.k. so I figured I should differentiate.

Judy (in Key West) can't help it, it's a habit now!

Judy thanks for the response..Hubby can't have Avastin due to his DVT condition (blood clots)...JB no worry you haven't mislead me..I just need to know what is out there so I can ask the Doctor...His doctor did say that after his chemo and if there is still cancer left then they will talk about other things.

Thanks to you all :D

Tom has NSCLC stage IV squamous cell with a met to the liver. He had 5 rounds of carbo/taxol and then they added 35 radiation tx to the chest as well as additional 2 rounds of carbo/taxol on top of that. He goes for his next scan on 8/17. We will see where we stand on 8/18. I don't know if he will go on maintenance or not.

Is your hubby squamous, adeno etc ? I can't find you ever mentioning which it was.

Denise

I believe Tarceva works best for LC with BAC features and pure BAC, but it also works sometimes in other cases (mostly adeno, I think)

There is a genetic test that will give a good indication if it will work or not (not sure if this research is still valid)

You can go to clinicaltrials.gov and search for clinical trials in your area as a way to start looking for what is available.

Unfortunately, unless clinical trials are considered early they may be harder to get into because there are many criteria that have to met. If there was previous treatment it may make one not qualified for a trial

John mentioned a genetic test - that is how I came to use Tarceva as my first line treatment. I was tested for a certain gene mutation - Deletion 19 - that Tarceva has good results with. The doctors felt I had a good chance of having this mutation since I was a woman and never smoker.

The Tarceva has been working very well -I pray to God it continues. There are several side effects - but all are pretty manageable.

peace - Janet

Coni-

I have heard that Tarceva works best in Asian women, never smokers but then of course thats based on statistics and we don't believe them around here!!! The genetic test seems like the way to go if possible.

I was originally on Carbo/Taxol/Avastin and then went to Avastin maintenance for about 7 months. When it stopped working, I started on Alimta which I have been on since around Sept or October of last year. Side effects are fatigue and SOB but I find it manageable.

Hope hubby continues to do well. Hang in there!!

Hugs - Patti B.