Help please/more pain

SandraL

Hi all. No I not up in the middle of the night...I can't even get to sleep because on top of back pain I have now over a number of days acquired a very achy right lower leg that is causing me great pain. I have taken major pain drugs meds tonight to no avail and I should be dog tired. Of course I am going on brief vacation tomorrow and am now all worked up over what might be causing it.

Of recent have been on alimta and zometa along with b12 and folic acid supplements. I was just reading through possible side effects and see muscle or bone pain or even a blood clot. The ache is such that I am thinking a blood clot is a possibility as has gotten progressively worse. I have no idea what a blood clot feels like though. Any air blowing on my leg makes it hurt even worse.

Yes I will be phoning the clinic in the morning and can hopefully talk to my medical oncologist because I can't go on like this. In the meantime, maybe some of you who have been on some of the drugs above have experienced similar and can help put my mind at ease before I have to leave tomorrow. I will delay my departure until I can at least talk to someone at the clinic. I am worried and do not think I am overreacting but tell me to calm down if need be.

thanks for your help

Sandra

Sandra,

I have no experience with those drugs. I did want to let you know that I am saying a prayer for you!!

Ask Dr. West on the Grace site.. He is brilliant and is very quick to respond.

Continue to work with your doc until you find the answers you are looking for!!

God Bless!!

Jamie

Sandra,

I don't have any advice to offer, but I can tell you that I hope you get some answers this morning. And that you have a good time on your vacation. I will be thinking about you today.

I just posted an update to a thread in this forum about mom's Quadramet treatment. it does seem to have helped with the pain, but I know they don't give it concurrently with chemo because it can compromise the immune system (blood counts). I don't know if this is something you want to ask about.

Susan

Sandra-

As you know, I have a blood clot in my leg. It started with swelling and extreme redness in my leg all the way around my leg. Then another lump appeared (red as hell) that hurt like hell and that is where the clot was. If your leg is not red ----------- hopefully that mean its not a blood clot. My leg never itched, just burned and hurt like hell.

Call the doc immediately. Hopefully its soemthing very simple and they can give you relief reight away.

Hugs - Patti B.

Sandra, Hope the clinic helped already this morning. Know nothing about your drugs but Patti's post is encouraging of it not being a clot.

I saw you mention in another post about getting a Zometa treatment and again last night in chat. Don't remember you talking about that. Last I heard you were looking at Gemzar. Did I miss a post? How did Zometa come about? I know nothing about it.

Judy in Key West

Sandra, I hope you've gotten some answers by now, since I don't think I have any to offer. I haven't had any deep pain in the legs, just very touchy and painful skin from a flare-up of pre-existing stasis dermatitis when I was on the Taxol/Carbo about 18 months ago. The skin pain was relieved by a potent steroid cream prescribed by my dermatologist, and while I still have the condition in mild form it hasn't been very bothersome since I finished the harsh chemo cycles. I'm still on a diuretic for that and other reasons, and I've found the best thing for relieving the tight-skin feeling around the ankles and calves is plain old pure petroleum jelly (Vaseline). I apply a thin film of that every night after my shower, but use a lotion like Cetaphil everywhere else to reduce the Tarceva dry skin effect.

Please let us know how you're doing. Hope you can enjoy that brief vacation! Aloha,

Ned

Sandra:

You okay out there?

As to blood clots, they're serious and if there's any possibility you have one, then you should be going to ER immediately.

I am told that often you can feel a "knot" under the skin, but in my own case, the clot wasn't diagnosed until it had already gone to my lung and I never saw or felt any sign of it in my leg although I've been told that that is undoubtedly where it started.

Hope you're okay.

Affectionately,

Carole

O.k. Sandra, you could be sitting in an airconditioned motel room eating bon bons or in the hospital with a clot! You were fooling around on the 5th talking about this new pass and on the 6th in much pain. I always assume no news is good news but know that's not always true for you. In this case, I'm going with the you're o.k. and having fun route, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to put you in the same boat (not THE ark, I promise) with a couple of guys who hold back on reporting scan results. You fellows know who you are!

Judy in Key West

Hi, all.

I have Sandra' private email address and telephone number. In addition to PM, I emailed her last night (no response yet); and then telephoned her this morning (left voice mail).

I'll let you know the moment I hear anything, but if she went on over to Vancouver, we may not hear from her 'til she gets back (at which time appropriate disciplinary measures can be determined and taken! :D )

Affectionately,

"Codependent Carole"

Hi everyone. So sorry, didn't mean to worry anyone. I went to the clinic before I left. My med onc even came in on vacation as she was very concerned. I got new/more pain meds..still working on something to break through the pain. I have a standing order for an ultrasound here in case I get into any trouble. And am getting an MRI next week (med onc wanted to do on tues but family was waiting at clinic for me to get going and I didn't feel like ruining anyone's vacation). I had been worried about pain for few days but didn't want to impact vacation. And then of course I freaked out and rightly so night before I left. So at least I have plan in place for next week.

I am doing okay. In a bit of pain but we are still having lots of fun. Swimming and hot tub in hotel pool is good for me. Will touch base again next week when I get home.

Or now that I have discovered hotel internet...maybe in the middle of the night. Thanks for all your concern.

Sandra

Hi, Sandra.

Sorry for freaking out, but it's only because we love you! (Do I sound like a Mommy or what? :D)

Glad to hear you have plan in place, and that vacation is going well and hope all continues to do well.

We embark on cruise tomorrow, following wihch my own internet usage will drop mightily (as will my cell phone use, what with being out of range and all) so tonight is my Bon Voyage; i.e., may not be "talking" to you all until end of next week.

Take care all!

With much love and affection,

Carole