Alimta Anyone

Peachy

Hi all,

I am due to begin a regimen of Alimta.

I just finished a 6 round regimen of Gemzar and Carboplatin followed by a 5-week rest period.

I wonder if those of you who have experienced Alimta would please share your experiences with me... side effects, effectiveness, etc.

Thanks

Peachy

Peachy,

I know others will answer your question, but I want you to know you have another option too. At the top of the page under the big dark line, you'll see the word (Search). Click on that and type in the word Alimta and you'll get TON'S of posts/messages/stories that others have shared about Alimta.

Hi Peachy-

I just had my 16th cycle of Alimta. So far so good (scan coming up soon so we will see).

Side effects are fatigue and SOB. I have to tell you that they can be cumulative in nature but I refuse to stop taking it. No hair loss from it either.

Its just recently that the fatigue and SOB are starting to really get to me but it is bearable!!!

Wishing you tons of luck. If you have any other questions about it, feel free to PM me.

Hugs - Patti B.

Hi Peachy. I had 4 rounds of alimta in the summer of 2006 after 33 rounds of image guided radiation on a tumor in my right upper lobe. the chemo was doable, but it did not stop the tumor from growing. It was stable at the last scan though because of a subsequent cyberknife treatment in 2007.

Don M

Where have you been? I'd fine you for being AWAHP but I am guilty of missing posts so maybe I missed your peachy face. John had Alimta and it started out fine but got progressively harder for him. He finally had to ask for a break to recover so he could do the last treatment. Some people handle it fine but it was a hard one for him-- so ask for a break if you need one. Now-- the good news, he had good results with it and that made it worth the fatigue etc. Good luck -

Rochelle

Hi Peachy. I went through 3 rounds of alimta and did suffer a fair bit. I think that is rare though. I developed headache, nausea, fever, exhaustion, etc. a number of days after treatment each time and went "down" in and out of consciousness for a number of days. I know most do not suffer though so I wish that for you and even better that it works. I don't think it did any harm cancer wise either for me but I am going on a new chemo plan that will hopefully work better in my case. Best wishes

Sandra

I've had 10 cycles of Alimta and Avastin as 3rd line treatment. First two cycles resulted in 50% shrinkage of everything bad. Since then, stable. If my upcoming scan is OK, I'll have cycle #11 on Tuesday.

Side effects (most probably from Alimta, as Avastin has a longer half-life) early in each cycle include some nausea, fatigue, and loss of appetite (which then comes back with great strength in the last 10 days of the cycle). Maybe a little shortness of breath as well.

Good luck!--Neil

• 3 weeks later...

Mom was on Alimta every 3 weeks for 7 months at Sloane Kettering in NYC and it worked really well. She had 10 days of radiation in January and between that and Alimta, all 3 of her tumors in both lungs are gone. Because the spot on her liver has increased they are taking her off the Alimta and are going to try Tarceva. Mom had very little side effects from the Alimta, just fatigue. Good luck, it's a good drug. Also an expensive drug. $6800 every time but the insurance has paid it all, THANK GOD! LOL

GOOD LUCK PEACHY, you will be in my prayers!

Thank you all for the information.

Your information is very helpful to me. I am currently in my second round of Alimta and find it pretty easy to tolerate, except for the fatigue, that is.

Kerry , I'm happy that your mom did so well on it. I can only pray that I will be as successful.

Does Alimta have a poor effect on the liver?

Peachy

Peachy,

I don't think Alimta has any adverse effects on the liver. Mom had 2 little spots on liver in January before she even started on Alimta. One spot went away and one got a little bigger, so I have a call in to Mom's oncologist @ Sloane Kettering to discuss treatment options. So don't worry about the Alimta. We found it to be pretty mild (in terms of side effects) compared to a lot of other drugs and treatments. And if it works, it works really well. Good luck and keep us updated!